tescoturnips summer of bud

tescoturnip

When I get to put plants out in the maize fields I'll use cages of green plastic mesh - mesh squares about 20x30mm if I remember from looking at it at the garden centre. These shouldn't stand out any more than the plants and beer cans with copper tape on them - and will present no problem to the harvester if it gets to the plants before I do :upside:

• Like 3

Ye good point,

Will make up a cage or two and see how they look in field, hopefully won't stand out to much as trying to plant my plants while maize is still fairly short and so plants grow together and not get swamped.

Have a reel of 25mm green chicken wire, just means won't be the biggest Cages but if stops them chewing main stem off at ground level that's a bonus! 

Will look into it what will work

:yinyang:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tescoturnip said:

Ye good point,

Will make up a cage or two and see how they look in field, hopefully won't stand out to much as trying to plant my plants while maize is still fairly short and so plants grow together and not get swamped.

Have a reel of 25mm green chicken wire, just means won't be the biggest Cages but if stops them chewing main stem off at ground level that's a bonus! 

Will look into it what will work

Don't quote me on it but I have read that that maize/corn is not very good for rabbits.. I guess this could go either way mind.. will there be many rabbits searching in maize fields looking for food surely they know what is bad for them?? Or if they do and find your plants they will deffo eat those over the maize.. cages are prob best dude.. the green pvc coated stuff shouldn't stand out to much from a distance..:yep:

Didnt have any rabbit damage in maize last year but did have few plants dug out at the roots which I guessed was badgers maybe. So would help prevent that to!

• Like 2

Right so yesterday had roots showing through all pellets so got a soil mix made up and started to pot up in some lovely sunshine.

Very crude mix but I'd say roughly

75 compost

20 coco

5 perlite pellets were submerged into water to soak followed by a dunking into a pot of mycorrhizal fungi making sure contact with roots 

Remembered to buy labels this year so hopefully no mix ups on who's who. 

large.20210527_142941_compress39.jpglarge.20210527_152559_compress86.jpg

(Most had more Mycor covering than this picture)

large.20210527_170534_compress4.jpg

Got a few bit smaller or missing a leaf where seed pods hindered there merging but most seem okay.

Had one of two left in paper towels to long with 4 inch tap root and trying for leaves managed to wedge the root into pellet and leaves were bit yellow but starting to come right now. So no major issues as yet. Just gotta make sure get the watering right abd hopefully no heat stress moving about from loft to garden.

Had them all out on grass and gave a good soaking with the hose then into some containers for ease moving around and a little more protection. 

Having a slight issue that when it's 20 outside it seem to be near 30 in the loft and that not underneath the light, so think everything will have to come out for the hots days to sunbathe in the garden and few just have some supplemented hours early morning and evening. 

Got 12 or so that wouldn't fit under t5 so they'll be full time garden (come In a night) 

• Like 5

Right then, 

First 6 went out today! 

Was a bit of a dig and dash, on plot where had a few last years that yielded okay with no intervention. So this year they'll get a bit of ffb and other handfuls of goodness along the way but otherwise unammended soil.

So basically dug a foot of so wide and 5/6inchs deep and then pulled any roots within that area broke everything up and dug in a handful of ffb. 

Not a big a I'd like but they'll get grow with some sun rise, and if dont make it plenty of replacements to take up the sun trap.

large.20210528_150845_compress60.jpglarge.20210528_153100_compress31.jpg

large.20210528_153107_compress60.jpg

I hear you all shouting where are they Cages?!

There at plot ready but as I said was a bit of dig and dash and for Cages need to go and pick suitable sticks to prop Cages and forgot pins for bottom so will be back first thing tomorrow morning for sort Cages out and a big dose of water to get them set but ran out of time today. But happy to have something in the ground! 

large.20210528_153113_compress83.jpg

Edited by tescoturnip
Adding pics
  • Like 5

Security confirmed :yep:

large.20210529_134017_compress84.jpglarge.20210529_134029_compress97.jpg

Also 40l of water between the 6 of them to wash in the ffb with 2, 20l containers just a bit of lugging to get the there. Shouldn't need to come back here for a few weeks depending on rain, hopefully this week of sunshine will get them flying. 

And because of this lovely sunshine and high temps, everything has to come out into the garden as the loft is unbearably hot, still sitting at 29 according to the thermometer!

Been informed I'm going away Monday eve for the night so all plants are gunna have brave it in the garden as loft will be to hot and won't be here so everything will be going onto tables and wil put copper tape on the legs to stop slugs and will have to just hope birds don't take a fancy 

large.20210529_141559_compress16.jpglarge.20210529_141603_compress91.jpglarge.20210529_141609_compress40.jpglarge.20210529_141624_compress7.jpgloving this bit of sunshine though!

• Like 7

19 hours ago, tescoturnip said:

need to go and pick suitable sticks to prop Cages

Dude if you bury the cages 5/6inch into the ground you don't really need any sticks to prop them up. Just makes it a bit easier i find.. looking good though bro.. you got some numbers there so im sure you will have a great season even with the losses factored in.. nice work :yep:

• Like 1

Ye there about inch or two under ground also have pegs on bottoms of cages to keep them in, but idea of sticks was the start of a support for main stem later on, stop them from leaning to much! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while but plants are loving this weather 

Had them outside when the sun's been out and done all watering outside makes life bit easier 

Found some leftover capillary matting (think that's what it is) so have been taking them out of tubs giving a good drench then trying to arrange the best I could so bigger girls aren't blocking smaller ones light. 

These few pics are from Friday...

large.20210606_134127_compress62.jpglarge.20210606_134119_compress43.jpglarge.20210606_134713_compress55.jpg

And yesterday's pics...

large.20210608_131654_compress25.jpglarge.20210608_131658_compress20.jpglarge.20210608_131700_compress19.jpglarge.20210608_131705_compress1.jpglarge.20210608_131725_compress23.jpg

And these are the last few which didn't have space for inside so had to rough it in the garden, probably unfair to judge these compared to others as left the worst/slowest plants outside so the rest are flying compared to these but I'm sure they'll still be fine once planted.

large.20210608_163629_compress40.jpg

At some point will sort these plants out into strains and takes some family pics so can see what's what but ammo is definitely a narrower leafed plant while the rest having alot broader leaves showing. 

Plenty of roots coming through pots now although not sure how good the dry part of watering cycle is for showing roots whether they'll dry off, suppose bit of air pruning won't hurt. 

Glimpse of them under t5 big tight and outer not 100% under but still going okaylarge.20210609_152122_compress1.jpglarge.20210609_152211_compress42.jpg

• Like 8

Will be a dose of grazers today, need to read up and check dosage and how often but hopefully will make rabbits ignore them!

Need to figure out Cages, but maize is so bare atm might stand out to much going to try a tester cage in field and walk from closest public path and see how it looks going to be pretty small Cages but could do a second layer down the line as maize grows on, would help with branch support aswell just means more to export from field come harvest time which if all goes well will be busy enough! 

Maize was sprayed few days ago so that should be it until harvest, would like to get something out this weekend as roots showing for mycorrhizal and probably good to get them in while overcast before 25degrees next week just figuring out protection and cover. 

• Like 1

Right made up a cage and shot back out field and looks pretty good to me so they are a go 

Not very tall but will be secured with 2 bamboos each and garden pegs should see them through first few weeks, hopefully plants don't shoot up to fast ahead of maize otherwise have to top anything to quick but risk of plants getting wind damage later in then! 

large.20210610_115621_compress62.jpglarge.20210610_115702_compress65.jpg

Better than nothing will have grazers aswell and the way grass is growing atm rabbits have plenty of other options. 

Found few water sources in corner of field or two so will be putting most in range with this for easier watering missions. 

Also finally got some family photos together: 

Royal mazar: 

large.20210610_114033_compress54.jpg

Mighty Freeze:

large.20210610_113925_compress18.jpg

Mighty Gold:

large.20210610_113901_compress40.jpg

Whitey Freeze:

large.20210610_113838_compress60.jpg

Auto ammo: 

large.20210610_113806_compress83.jpg

Pretty happy with how they've done so far, just hoping take to ground okay as not doing any adjustments to soil, will just get a drench and some fungi on plantout. With top dressing of ffb probably a little dug into ground aswell.

Results may not be massive due to lack prep but we'll see how it How's

• Like 5

Looking great there. I'm few weeks behind you, but I'm not to bothered about size, just as long as I get them home safe, and there looking really healthy so I'm sure you will have a bumper crop :yep:

• Like 2

On 05/05/2021 at 2:26 PM, tescoturnip said:

Nah fortunately I'm in the know of the whats happening with fields, will have one dose of fertiliser and a spray after which I'll transplant my plants a few days after, then nothing else will be going on the fields until harvest (except the odd handful of these and that round my plants to help them grow)  so would say its pretty safe I think 

<snip>

On 10/06/2021 at 8:34 AM, tescoturnip said:

<snip>

Maize was sprayed few days ago so that should be it until harvest, would like to get something out this weekend as roots showing for mycorrhizal and probably good to get them in while overcast before 25degrees next week just figuring out protection and cover. 

How tall is the maize @tescoturnip ? I'll go and look at 'my' fields next week, I'm sort of expecting a last spray before the maize has got to around 18" tall, after that machinery might be damaging the crop.