tescoturnips summer of bud

tescoturnip

Let's the games begin, 

First off cheers to @panik for running this again, didn't take part last year but kept a close eye on everyone diaries here and everyone smashed it! 

Grew a few RGSC seeds last year with some results, favs was the lemon OG x freezeland which despite being planted where it got very little morning sun still produced a lovely end product, and mighty gold, a much smaller plant (5ft) in height but grew as wide as it did tall with some good end results. 

This year have opted for the earliest finishing strains I could in hope for earlier crop before the camouflage starts to fade and days shorten but time will tell. Also plan on planting some in maize which I know is cut mid Sept so up against a timer.

So line up this year is: 

Whitey freeze fem

Mighty gold BX

Mighty freeze BX 

Royal mazar

Auto ammo 

Also few leftovers from last year 

2Dfg

2Lemon x freeze

2Mighty gold 

1 easy skunk x something

Have treated myself a bought a t5 to start plants off, having previously only done on windowsill and garden start before going to plot. Have planted 6 of last years seeds before I go ahead a chuck the lot under it to make sure I'm not going to kill them all and have a bit of trial of what works and needs adjusting

Not quite sure on distance to hang the light, having attached it to a chain so can move it up and down links as plants grow but any guidance on distance to start much appreciated

large.20210504_174914_compress15.jpglarge.20210504_174906_compress54.jpglarge.20210504_122043_compress58.jpg

Tried going lower but struggled to keep temps down and that's with a fan going to keep air moving. 

Currently in loft with no box around May consider making something up lift night temps but means going up morning and night to place walls which isn't ideal.

More info to come as we continue, but any suggestions welcome havnt got the experience some of you lot have! 

No plot prep as yet but will get to it soon enough! 

Excited to get the ball rolling once all these morning frosts piss off! 

Also can't wait to see what everyone else is going to do here.

Let's hope for a good summer of bud! :yinyang:

• Like 9

Good luck @tescoturnip hope it goes well for you dude.. sounds like another interesting maize plant out going down.. be nice to see how they both compare and turn out.. :yinyang:

• Like 3

If you're having troubles with humidity grab a plastic tote from B&M or something, put some holes in the side & your good to go... Good job man! For night temps which im guessing is when the lights are off maybe grab another tote a get some off cuts of insulation from marketplace or something and tape the box to fuck then just plop it ontop when lights are off.

Edited by Funk P
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Revive said:

Good luck @tescoturnip hope it goes well for you dude.. sounds like another interesting maize plant out going down.. be nice to see how they both compare and turn out.. :yinyang:

Cheers mate and you.

Let's hope so only thing I don't have with the plants going with maize is time as won't be a late chop hence the early September finishers,hopefully. But atleast know this means can get them out before field is chopped! 

Last year had the wrong strains in field still managed to chop them just to early, but wasn't wasted making a lot of cannabutter which mostly given away in cookie form. Everyone had a great time giggling away smokers and non smokers alike, bar a few greedies who ate one cookie to many and had to ride it out. 

Tried to always have non edibles kicking about aswell so when the munchies kicked in didn't go back for more cannacookies and get sent over the edge lol

But fingers crossed more finished stuff to be cropped this year 

3 hours ago, Funk P said:

If you're having troubles with humidity grab a plastic tote from B&M or something, put some holes in the side & your good to go... Good job man! For night temps which im guessing is when the lights are off maybe grab another tote a get some off cuts of insulation from marketplace or something and tape the box to fuck then just plop it ontop when lights are off.

Have a little bit of insulation kicking about to will try and make something up, not sure how we'll bags will work as once o get the rest germ hoping to have packed trays under the light just starting these ones so less guess work with main batch! 

In my head thought if stays above 10c at night should be okay will help them cope with the great outdoors in a few weeks? Hoping will get bit warmer at night aswell which will help raise this a little, maybe need to look at some form of heat mat for the nights but will have to factor in cost and if its practical. 

Will humidity be a problem if I can't get it up? 

Never done inside before so all new to me 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tescoturnip said:

bar a few greedies who ate one cookie to many and had to ride it out. 

lol greed is a terrible thing but great when its with canna cookies as the glutton ones get punished before your very eyes lollol do you not worry about the pesticides farmers use in maize fields?

Edited by Revive

2 hours ago, tescoturnip said:

Cheers mate and you.

Let's hope so only thing I don't have with the plants going with maize is time as won't be a late chop hence the early September finishers,hopefully. But atleast know this means can get them out before field is chopped! 

Last year had the wrong strains in field still managed to chop them just to early, but wasn't wasted making a lot of cannabutter which mostly given away in cookie form. Everyone had a great time giggling away smokers and non smokers alike, bar a few greedies who ate one cookie to many and had to ride it out. 

Tried to always have non edibles kicking about aswell so when the munchies kicked in didn't go back for more cannacookies and get sent over the edge lol

But fingers crossed more finished stuff to be cropped this year 

Have a little bit of insulation kicking about to will try and make something up, not sure how we'll bags will work as once o get the rest germ hoping to have packed trays under the light just starting these ones so less guess work with main batch! 

In my head thought if stays above 10c at night should be okay will help them cope with the great outdoors in a few weeks? Hoping will get bit warmer at night aswell which will help raise this a little, maybe need to look at some form of heat mat for the nights but will have to factor in cost and if its practical. 

Will humidity be a problem if I can't get it up? 

Never done inside before so all new to me 

:yinyang:

Just grab some clear plastic boxes mate their cheap as tits at B&M or on Fbook Marketplace... During the seedling stage high humidity definetly helps between 55-70 reason such a wide range is people have opionons so thats the ball park.. Grabbing those clear totes will keep them a bit warmer during night, if im not mistaken around 21 degrees celcius is a good area for nights...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Revive said:

do you not worry about the pesticides farmers use in maize fields?

Nah fortunately I'm in the know of the whats happening with fields, will have one dose of fertiliser and a spray after which I'll transplant my plants a few days after, then nothing else will be going on the fields until harvest (except the odd handful of these and that round my plants to help them grow)  so would say its pretty safe I think 

@Funk P will have a look at get something sorted, gotta give them the best start I can. Maybe I go back to peat plugs as an inbetween stage so can pack them in and keep them moist a little easier.

On another note when I germ am going to do a few on the windowsill and garden just to compare. Remember last year thinking starters looked midgets compared to diaries here but more for personal interest :D

• Like 3

Something to keep our slimey foes away, 

large.20210507_143958_compress68.jpg

and a good excuse for a few beers to! :cheers:

Honestly not sure who diary I copied this from, but if it was you reading, cheers for the idea. Used this last year and had zero slug casualties, so fingers crossed it'll keep them pesky slugs away! 

Anyway 2 days later wasn't going to bother with updates this sooner but thought since I'm posting why not a plant pic!

large.20210507_144632_compress17.jpg

These are 

1Dfg

1LemonxOG freeze 

3Mighty gold

1Easy skunk something or other

Cant wait to get the rest going, will most likely be next week or so

Got some big tubs coming so can hopefully keep humidity up and everything a little warmer.

Now to carry on with slug collars 

Happy Friday All :thumsup:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update 

10days later still havnt popped any more seeds but won't be to much longer, others are coming along okay was expecting a little more growth in 10days but all still seem fairly healthy, light is currently 8/9inchs or so from plants whether to raise or drop it a little? Is a t5.

large.20210517_070754_compress3.jpg

• Like 3

I keep mine at 4-6 inches, with a couple of USB pc fans running across 'em. Does the job nicely

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Seeds went to soak today :D all seems very late this year but the weather will do as it wishes and we at its mercy.

Having a few hours of sun have chucked plants I have currently in the garden, these will be going out next few days when get a chance. 

We're looking a little sorry for themselves, fear I may have overwatered have gone a bit droopey last few days but hoping they'll be okay :nea:

large.20210522_151407_compress95.jpg

• Like 4

So seeds went for a 36hr soak large.20210521_121550_compress67.jpg

75% had popped so went into little jiffy pellets 

And the rest went in paper towels I note cupboard, now just waiting for the last 4(ish) to pop and they'll all be cracked! 

Put into jiffy pellets before going into plantable pots, with the theory of for getting some mycorrhizal fungi on the roots in potting up.

Will also give them a few days of all fitting under the light then once potted up will fit what I can under light and the rest will be going in clear boxes in the garden and weather will be bit nicer to fingercrossed they'll all be flying. 

Havnt quite worked out how I'm going to keep humidity up while using the tubs and keeping fans on plants so they have stronger stems, but sure it'll all work out when get to it.

A lot got into maize and that's barely above

Ground, so not to worried about later start. 

Will have the other 6 out soon aswell. Will just break ground and insert pots and clear weeds surrounding with some too dressing a long the way. Which reminds me he to order some!

There looking better and now so note to self, less water. Going to just be using spray bottle for the rest to start with to lower chances of doing same again!

Numbers of plants are more than I need but in maize won't have Cages as will stand out to much, just slug collars and some grazers sprayed around plants on visits. So expecting some loses but they'll be spread apart to hopefully most will make it.

Anyway some pictures..

large.20210524_130111_compress37.jpglarge.20210524_130155_compress80.jpglarge.20210524_130203_compress43.jpglarge.20210524_130214_compress79.jpglarge.20210524_130350_compress60.jpg

Edited by tescoturnip
Adding bits
  • Like 4

I had 40 plants ate in one plot last year that had a boundary fence instead of single cages and the rabbits got under twice and ate them all.

Spend a few quid more on cages if I was you mate, not worth the risk

You might be lucky with no rabbits around but you could be unlucky and have loads.

• Like 3