Make your own cream

DANZIG

Just about ready to get started in making my cream,  2 questions please...

I will be using bud so how much will I need to use in the recipe? "recipe says 50gm of cannabis trim leaves"

Do I need to decarb in the oven first or will slow cooking for 4 hrs be enough?

OK :) as I am raring to go I'm going to use 1oz (28gms-ish ) of decarb buds  lol  cannot wait to get cracking!

• Like 1

I'm just checking that as I have use hemp seed oil in the recipe instead of olive oil- will it still solidify. I'm asking this as mine has been in a cold fridge for 14hrs and still looks the same as when first put in. 

Maybe I'm just being impatient and I will have to wait 48hrs :(  @ratdog

hi @caringmum :stoned:

did you put bee's wax in at any stage.?

if you didn't do worry you can heat the oil slowly in slow cooker and add bee's wax

stir for a bit (you can add essential oils at this stage to if needed) then pour in to final container

I've got to the stage where I removed the cannabis using a cheesecloth , then put the liquid into the fridge so the oil could solidify. "Still waiting for this to happen before I warm-up and add my beeswax

The only other way IF the oil doesn't set, is to draw the oil off by using a syringe @twigs

Original recipe instructions

Place the water and oil solution into the coldest part of the fridge, after 24 to 48 hours (if your fridge is at the correct temperature) the olive oil will solidify, this will allow you to seperate the water from the oil, discard water

Alternatively, the oil and water mix can be placed in the freezer

You should now be left with a slightly green olive oil in solid form

Edited by caringmum

Guest Gojitangie

@caringmum

Saw this, hope it helps explain:)

Every fat and fatty acid has a range of temperatures at which is freezes (congeals, gets solid). To complicate matters a bit more, most fats and oils are actually combinations of many chemical types of fats and fatty acids; not all of them are solidifying at the same temperature.

As a general rule, saturated fats (animal fats, but also coconut and palm oils) congeal at higher temperatures than unsaturated fats. This is why butter or ghee is solid at room temperatures, but olive or cotton oils are liquid. It is, in fact, the main distinguishing point between fats and oils.

Coconut oil freezes at a higher temperature than mustard oil because it's a more saturated fat.

• Like 1

OK - thanks @Gojitangie  

So now I know Hemp oil does not freeze:) 

When I use hemp oil in the furture I'll add the beeswax as soon as I have finished using the cheesecloth.

ONwards and upwards - Take  oil/water out of fridge- re-warm - then add the beeswax  :yep:

• Like 1

:yep: Setting nicely, will now leave overnight in fridge before draining and check if I need to add anymore beeswax  or Lavender. (tick)

Busy day- also have a tincture started and made some delicious raisin and choc biscuits lol 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Guest Gojitangie

@caringmum

How did you find the oil? Decarbing at 110c for 50 mins, seems a bit much to me but that’s not based on anything, could you let me know where that advice came from? Thank you.

@Gojitangie

Hi - Oil worked out well  when I added bees wax it was a bit smelly so I added a good shake of Lavender oil.

Found  it very good for dry skin and anyone suffering with a dry scalp (simular to cradle cap ) it solved the problem within 2 days. No medicated shampoo necessary :)  (Son only has to use it once a fornight)

Decarbing times can differ from on person to the next. I found it best to put the cannabis onto a oven tray sealing it with foil - making sure my oven was at the right temprature by checking with  a temperature gauge. 

The only time I don't decarb is when I'm using alcohol

On saying all of this - I'm still only a newbie:) 

Edited by caringmum

• 1 year later...
Guest theokoles

Great thread, got me motivated to make cream for my gf's osteoarthritis.

Took a bit longer than expected in the fridge to congeal, that's because i had it on the top shelf..Top tip, its colder on the bottom shelf lol

150g popcorn bud and trim

1000ml olive oil

1200ml water

150g Beeswax

10ml Lavender

large_009.JPG

• Like 1