Dynavap - Owners Thread...

zeroG

Salutations ZeroG,

1 hour ago, zeroG said:

...you probably don't have one and aren't interested...

This actually works in reverse:  none of the DV VC or its Mazzilli-based IH driver could prove seducing enough.  At least now it's kind of official...

1 hour ago, zeroG said:

Dental heaters...not so sure.

Late 2012 was such long while ago!  Some guy borrowed one NoFlame unit from his job environment but never really cooperated by answering the most basic questions - e.g. directly relative to the susceptor's mass, the IH power output (which can be approximately deduced from power consumption makings, on the bottom face...), etc.  The level of denial still gets perpetuated today while Inlet Water remains a priority #1 aspect for me and there's no way i can follow the short-lived Mazzilli path anyway.

Don't get me wrong please, it's the DynaVap VapCap which doesn't like Egzoset!  Personally i find "Bi-Energy" is a rare asset worth additional valorisation.

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

There's my new induction heater. Its an interesting change to the way the vapcap works. To get vapour I'm going 10secs past the click. If I stop at the click, there's nothing coming off the cap for the first heat. Second heat there's some vapour and lots of flavour. 3rd hit seems to be where it happens. There's cloud and a massive flavour, 4th hit flavour and not much vapour until you stir, then you can get a 5th hit.

I been getting 2, maybe 3 hits with the jet lighter. That's probably because its a 3 jet jobby...a single flame would probably heat more evenly and consummately. Blasting it with a torch that can melt aluminium seems to go against the very nature of the device...

It needs playing with....... and I might just be the man to do this!, and it seems to make the weed go even further lol ...and I'm trying to make room for another impending harvest, and I haven't even got to my new light yet lol...its still packed in the garage and I have another room full of ladies already prepped and vegging...

A VapCap the size of a dustbin would be just about right for now!!!

large.vapoven.jpg

• Like 8

@zeroG you maybe able to raise your coil or lower you cap to heat the cap quicker & vice versa; 1-2mm should make a difference. You can pretty much get that cap heated how ever you want. 

Ex..

Edited by stickyblack
  • Like 2

@Sgt SmashI think I had to burn the copper in or something because Im now getting to (mini) click 1 in about 7/8 seconds and then about a second later comes the 'stop heating click'...I had to 'burn in' my reference speaker cables in and they're oxygen free copper. It took 3 years, so im used to levelling off performance lol

@LA LUNAUpside is the simplicity and ease. A lighter and gas can get to be a pain sometimes, and then constantly filling the lighter...they also dont really stand up to my usage and I have already had two failed Dynavap lighters. Not to mention the amount of butane a 3 flame jet torch goes through, and yes I understand there are 'other examples available'...I also liked the idea of the even heating of the cap...Its also more accurate than the lighter. I started with the click, then progreessed to 10 sec past it, now im about 5 'missisippis' past the mini click. I get 4/5 nice hits, 2-3 flavour, 2-3 cloudy...depending.

@stickyblackI would like to do that but the box is sealed, It needs to come up a bit as if I over heat it, it just carbonsies the cap top. What they don't tell you, any of them, is the size of the 10amp 12v adapter! The induction process needs to be driven with a fairly healthy kick, much like an hps ballast, so you dont have a nice lil phone adapter giving you the 12V, you have a block about twice the size of 2 smartphones end to end, about 2 inches thick. That has a metre of cable to deal with, and on top of that on the other end you have a full size kettle lead to deal with too...it takes some concealing, thats for sure!

I wished it was as nice as it looks but its a bit of a mess that dicks with my ocd lol But Im getting higher I think with the IH lol

• Like 2

@zeroG Thats odd that the device is sealed, maintenance and that. Yea, it is a pain having to have to lug a transformer around.. Mine stays put nowdays- with a dedicated area to get vaped. There are 18650 and lipo powered IH's though :yep: ..

19 minutes ago, stickyblack said:

@zeroG Thats odd that the device is sealed, maintenance and that. Yea, it is a pain having to have to lug a transformer around.. Mine stays put nowdays- with a dedicated area to get vaped. There are 18650 and lipo powered IH's though :yep: ..

I bought it from ebay. English firm. 'Vapoven' 95 smackeroonies, free P&P. I could probably cut it open carefully, but that would void my 2 yr warranty. The chjap who build them is deffo a toker too lol you can just tell. Its got leds in the right places and seems to be fairly robust. And its a blank canvas to 'decorate' - perhaps some dried flowers :D or some other 'decopage/crafty/yogurt weaving' application...then again I could leave it and just toke a few nore heads. Mmmm let me think for a mome...nah, a few more heads wins the day. :D

I read up on the dynatec one, that, like ebays only other offering in stock, worked exactly the same with the same components, £35 more, eith funky acid house/techno graffix, and there was another one, metal box, but you had to activate the induction and then insert the vapcvap...to save on power spikes or something. And I also wanted a UK plug. I seached high and fucking low lol

Just putting my induction heater together but still waiting for 3 items . Tested with the bits I have got the IH and coil and power supply and seems pretty good and working . About 5 seconds to the click if my memory serves me well . Waiting on the switch , glass and sticky pads . I'm using a carboard box for the case not a rubbish one but a very durable one as far as cardboard goes . 

I'm up to 18 quid so far and think I have all I need . If I can build one anyone can . Looking quite good so far. I got 2 pieces of glass and the spare piece will be taped inside the box for emergencies . 

• Like 1

@zeroG Not really sure I should be in here however I do have a couple of devices with Dynavap stamped into them they are 2017 M's the original M's . Although I did buy mine from a far east country and not completely satisfied they were made in the USA but who am I to judge . They look real enough hmm . 

52 minutes ago, pothead11 said:

@zeroG Not really sure I should be in here however I do have a couple of devices with Dynavap stamped into them they are 2017 M's the original M's . Although I did buy mine from a far east country and not completely satisfied they were made in the USA but who am I to judge . They look real enough hmm . 

Dont be ridiculous. All welcome bro. Far eastern, Iron curtain, North Korea, China, come one come all :D Check your guns and 'tools' at the door...:ninja:

As long as youre not endangering yourself using something youre not sure of. Just be cautious :)

Im lazy thats why I didnt buy parts and build. Im fairly handy too. But for simplicity and easeat the time it serves a purpose

• Like 2

When I've finished this project I may try and make a portable version using 18650's . Might be a bit more expensive though as the cost of decent 18650's can be quite pricey . probably about 8 quid each . 

• Like 2

Thanks for that zeroG . The IH are quite easy to make just put a few pieces together but If I had the 95 quid to spend I think I would of taken your route . The hardest bit is connecting the switch . If you get that right it's pretty much plain sailing . Mine comes with instructions on the site I bought it off so should be ok . 

• Like 1

Salutations from the doorsteps...

1 hour ago, pothead11 said:

The IH are quite easy to make...

Although this statement sounds undeniable it's also a misconception because we're in DiY zone and that's NO finished product but a PROTOTYPE with the purpose to demonstrate Induction Heat applied to health-wise cannabis vaporism.  At the very least the popular Mazzilli-topology pseudo-ZVS modules resulted in a venture belonging to the i-Cig modders category IMO, since it shares basic design characteristics like having to deal with battery-operated low-voltage/high-current power circuitry, which itself flirts with solar battery technology...  In any case the closest well-defined group with compatible goals happen to be from the Tesla Coil people if we get rid of their typical high-voltage "Fly-Back" transformer, since it's transforming high-current into high-voltage and what you guys require 1st for battery portability is a way to use that power without loosing too much to current-voltage conversion, coïncidentally...  On another hand i believe some proper AC Decoupling design practices should prevent exposure of LiPo (or any other type of batteries) to intense AC loading, especially in a context when the forbiden "shot-thru" state is allowed to take place - which is exactly the worst-case catastrophic failure scenario when it comes to Mazzilli schottky (Royer-like FEEDBACK) cross-connected diodes:  because those imply a dynamic discontinuity in the Gate-Driving stage exactly, in presence of additional disturbances as the evasive "Miller" effect implying self-generating oscillations in a powerful device rated in tens of Amperes while there's ZERO protection except from "BMS" modules perhaps, euh...  Apparently, whatever...  And of course those have been reported to fail too, from the abuse.  Which is why i suggested to piggy-back 2 Mazzilli-topology modules in order to implement Low-Impedance gate-driving, as a desperate attempt to avoid ground loops with crude high-current/poor-impedance-matching RF sources nearby...  Others considered interrupting only the continuous DC bias path to the gates pairs, although this doesn't account for a risk for the schottky diodes to even over-ride and effectively circumvent that simple protection approach, while in fack feedback from the power output should be interfaced via a galvanically-isolated channel and converted as a logic signal intended as substitution of the schotty bridging path to high-voltage spikes, especially the "rebound" negative ones threatening to cross beyond the 0 Volts ground-level past a few volts and hence exceeding "Safe Operating" parameters, etc.

On 19/08/2020 at 5:19 PM, LA LUNA said:

...their not cheap!

On the contrary, just for the motives i was about to expose right above it's dead cheap and i vaguely recall that was one of the arguments often served in support for this semi-DiY adventure.

On 20/08/2020 at 4:09 PM, stickyblack said:

Mine stays put nowdays - with a dedicated area to get vaped.

My point as well, everyone doesn't necessarily require battery-operated portability, much less when putting in the balance its elevated risk from repeated electrical stress and premature component aging.  Hence beware of under-rated substitution parts and whatnot!

On 17/08/2020 at 6:11 PM, Egzoset said:

...susceptor's mass, the IH power output...

Ah, and that would be nice to get some basic numbers to start with!  What's a DV VC weighting (e.g. in grams), for example!...  We all know what's a scale for, correct??

:wassnnme:

On 20/08/2020 at 4:37 PM, zeroG said:

...you had to activate the induction and then insert the vapcvap...to save on power spikes or something.

My appologies for re-using this but i think it's actually relevant:

Opposite-Application-Ranges-doi-org-10-3

When inserted the workcoil is "loaded" by a resistive AC component which "dampens" the resonator tank "Q" factor, making it much less capable of generating High-Voltage spikes threatening to cause safe-operating issues at any of the MOSFET gates...  The "DV" zone was tagged as such be me after making a deduction that's where the "Quasi-Resonating"/ZVS mode is taking DynaVap users, around the 80 ~ 100 KHz i suspect, e.g. moving away from the Curie effect in an IH-driven power-to-heat conversion context!  Euh...  Anyway, my point here is that insertion/removal concerns seem most likely to be a direct consequence of choosing the over-simplified Mazzilli modules sold dirty-cheap on e-Bay and similar.

Personally i want to see live records of measurements performed while the DV VC susceptor and its associated metal handle are being IH-driven, with special attention relatively to the Mazzilli schottky diodes on the MOSFETs Gate side.  If my interpretation is accurate then removal of the DynaVap consumption tool automatically/systematically involves a major boost of the "Q" factor and this IMHO could be synonymous of bad news.  Because then in principle this shall be like playing Russian Roulette with every single IH toke, though the picture i got so far may remain incomplete...  Although the urge for portability can and will still justify brute-force solutions implicating the use of generic Mazzilli modules (with ZERO on-board corrective/fundamental moddifications meant to addapt it for its present application, by the way!), euh...  M'well, in domestic situations as mine, when enjoying morning sunrays by the window, there's simply no way one can convince me it's low-cost enough to even consider that scenario, because then i got an AC wall outlet nearby which puts a lot of weight on the balance.  Moreover, the perspective of Curie-based self-regulating susceptors without an absolute need for any sensors & its associated circuitry delays (etc.) should clearly support a move to Low-Frequency and ideally High-Voltage solutions leading the way to much safer alternatives best adapted for vaporists as myself who are never seen toking with potential delators around - and believe me they're not rare in elder houses...  Which reminds me, euh...

Anyone remembers the A.M. radio days??

Given the experimenting nature of this trend i'd strongly suggest the users should investigate AM monitoring of the interference noise emanating from their IH Driver, in hope this may provide hints as to what's NOT to do exactly which could amplify the risks of failure as those previously mentioned.  Persons born long long ago may remember what's a diode radio and might even care enough to try it via a "pick-up" coil mounted on one of the high-current power "choke" toroïd(s), just for the sake of curiosity.  Perhaps a crystal sqweaker would be safe and work fine, how about an FM radio?  Never neglecting safety precautions at any step please.

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

Edited by Egzoset
Read-proofing.
  • Like 2