MWF outdoor test grow

ratdog

Just now, Tommy tucker said:

I'm back in the UK. 

i didn't know you had left mate, north or south?

• Like 1

I'm dying to try a couple of XXL autos outside here but have a nosey neighbour who can be a bit daily mail. I remember them stinking out the barrio when we were living in Barcelona. Lovely climate here. South West coast.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pollenlover said:

I'm dying to try a couple of XXL autos outside here but have a nosey neighbour who can be a bit daily mail. I remember them stinking out the barrio when we were living in Barcelona. Lovely climate here. South West coast.

i wont pretend i'm not nervous lol

i have a cheese auto xxl seed sat in front of me, might give that a miss in the garden this year lol

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i wont pretend i'm not nervous lol

i have a cheese auto xxl seed sat in front of me, might give that a miss in the garden this year lol

Yeah they do hum a little! lol

• Like 2

well today i took a pic as they are all up and showing tiny first true leaves, sadly one never got off the blocks and one did a weird thing, but i'm happy to report we have 4 happy healthy looking girls!

4 MWF off the blocks

large.5e9c78d65312b_4upandrunningMWF.jpg

one strange one

large.5e9c78d4d0c4f_strangeseedling.jpg

• Like 8

@ratdog

For a minute was scratching my head as to why I only sent you 6 seeds, then I remembered its because you asked for 5, haha...

In that last pic looks as though the seed casing was too tight (happens), the slightly swollen stem attests to this, as the plant toys to grow without being able to part its Cotyledons, it appears this has led to some form of rot and killed the young seedling.  One of the reasons I still stick to paper towel method, letting them get to what I call 'bean sprout' stage before planting, as any stuck casings can be carefully removed by hand, no chance of the seedling struggling to come up through objects in medium, decreased risk in damping off / larvae attack etc...  

Anyway, obviously if you want another couple just let me know ;) 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

@ratdog

For a minute was scratching my head as to why I only sent you 6 seeds, then I remembered its because you asked for 5, haha...

In that last pic looks as though the seed casing was too tight (happens), the slightly swollen stem attests to this, as the plant toys to grow without being able to part its Cotyledons, it appears this has led to some form of rot and killed the young seedling.  One of the reasons I still stick to paper towel method, letting them get to what I call 'bean sprout' stage before planting, as any stuck casings can be carefully removed by hand, no chance of the seedling struggling to come up through objects in medium, decreased risk in damping off / larvae attack etc...  

Anyway, obviously if you want another couple just let me know ;) 

you actually sent me 7 mate lol:)

i think 4 will be fine tbh, that will be enough to keep my arse flapping i expect lol:)

• Like 4

you actually sent me 7 mate lol:)

Ah, so you've got a spare should you want it at least..  

i think 4 will be fine tbh,

Just bare in mind that there's a few that 'auto'...  But yeah, could maybe for the best to have less anyway ;)

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 6:53 PM, Amarillo slim said:

Ah, so you've got a spare should you want it at least..  

Just bare in mind that there's a few that 'auto'...  But yeah, could maybe for the best to have less anyway ;)

yes mate, i'm running a very high number of plants now so glad that extra one isn't in the mix lol

if they auto that's fine, but will normal potting on be ok atm? too cold to bung them out yet i reckon.

hear they are, strangely all different sizes in decending order

large.5ea9976ced33c_4mightywonderfuck.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

yes mate, i'm running a very high number of plants now so glad that extra one isn't in the mix lol

if they auto that's fine, but will normal potting on be ok atm? too cold to bung them out yet i reckon.

hear they are, strangely all different sizes in decending order

large.5ea9976ced33c_4mightywonderfuck.jpg

Yeah normal potting on should be fine, so long as they don't sit in small pots for too long as this can be a trigger of un-wanted flowering.  Happy looking plants so far.  What light cycle are they on? cheers

• Like 1

Just now, Amarillo slim said:

Yeah normal potting on should be fine, so long as they don't sit in small pots for too long as this can be a trigger of un-wanted flowering.  Happy looking plants so far.  What light cycle are they on? cheers

18/6 atm, i really want them in the greenhouse, could i pot them up and stick them in there, would it be risky?, it's quite mild here tbh, i think the risk of frost has passed/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ratdog said:

would it be risky?

I would be slightly hesitant as the drop from 18 to around 15 could potentially trigger some flower response.  So if its convenient then I'd keep them under lights for another couple weeks, for the extra half hour of daylight and better temps.  Frost has certainly past, and they can take a light one no probs, but putting out in a cold spell can stunt growth, I had the heating on today so definitely bit nippy out.  By mid May day and night temps are normally more consistently up. 

• Like 7