A Guide to Building and Operating Bubblers

MU

ive only used my bubbler-cloner about 5 times now, but have come to the conclusion that rooting is quicker if the whole stem is not submerged in the bubbling water, but only the tip of the stem, say the bottom 1cm of the stem in the water, so that the rest of the stem is just being splashed by the bubbles.

makes sense as this approach mimicks aerocloning which is supposed to be the fastest method of rooting, although ive no experience of aerocloners myself.

the thing that seems to really speed up rooting though is the water temps, try and keep it around 78 degrees and you should see roots in 4-7 days.

edit:  can you see any alps from your windows.

398264[/snapback]

no not from my current apartment, but i could in the first apartment i lived in.

really should go and explore them one day, i bet theres some great places for a guerilla grow, if i weerent such a lazy bugger :toot:..

cheers mate

mu

• Like 1

hi mu

ive also decided im going to buy an RO filter and use pure water, as lucas intended... might save me some headaches

i'm currently tweaking lucas's version to suit my own grow so i just though i'd post up some of my observations

firstly i'm not using dwc (still with nft) so all my conclusions may not be completely helpful but here goes .

i noticed the symptoms of mg def. over the first two grows and reluctantly added some epsom salts which cured the problem....i say reluctantly because lucas says that if you follw the 0.8.16 formula then there will be enough mg ....this doesnt seem to be the case.

i also got a fair bit of tip burn which i took to be over abundance of nitrogen.

this left me in a bit of a quandry ...i wanted to cut out some nitrogen but my micro has the mg in and lucas says 'use the formula as written' i.e. full strength 0.8.16 ml per us gall. ....dont just use the ratio (1:2 micro:bloom)

well strike me down lucas because i have strayed from the path :toot:

this grow i have supplemented the formula with epsom salts and reduced the overall ec to 1.7 ...(using 0.8.16 gives a reading of 1.9) and 5 weeks in things are looking really good i have no signs of deficiencies and only the slightest bit of tip burn.

i know you were interested in ec levels using lucas MU so i just thought i'd keep you abreast of things in 'cheese towers'

cf

hi cf,

its interesting to hear your personal experiences. :toot:

but my micro has the mg

really? not in the bloom component...? lol are you not using GH or Adv.Hydro nutes then? lol

thanks for the info cf.

mu

but my micro has the mg

really? not in the bloom component...? unsure.gif

:toot: doh

quite right MU ......i was of course tapping away with the brain in neutral :wassnnme: .....the bloom has the mg (as does the grow)

Edited by cheese farmer

no not from my current apartment, but i could in the first apartment i lived in.

really should go and explore them one day, i bet theres some great places for a guerilla grow, if i weerent such a lazy bugger :notworthy:..

cheers mate

mu

398277[/snapback]

i can see snowdon from mine :bush:

ah, so thats the proper way to do it :headpain:

sorry bout the lack of info. i germed 10 x XXXak47 using my tried and tested patentyed germing box. it is actually one of those old vhs video boxes, the ones with the moulded black plastic interior. i sat them on cotton wool inside there last sat.

this is the 4th crop i have started from seed and the 3rd hydro so i thought i knew wtf i was doin :(

i expected the seeds to take 5-7 days to crack and start to show a tap root, however i checked them sunday and all had cracked and by monday 2 of them had good sized roots so i plonked them into r/wool starter cubes.

this is the 1st time i have used r/wool starter cubes to start seeds. i have used them once before with cutting and they worked a treat, i did not soak them in ph'd water so did not do it this time as i killed some western winds by putting them into ph'd waterlogged rockwool.

on tuesday the rest of the seeds had 5ml ish tap roots so i put them in rock wool too.

the rockwool cubes were dry in their tray sat on a thick mat soaked in ph'd water. within a hour you could see that the bottom third of the rock wool was damp.

i think you are absolutely right. the heated prop has dried out the mat and cubes. i can adapt the prop so that it is reservior fed by cappiliery matting but, i aint got any cappilery matting cos am like a twat and keep forgetting to order some.

because of this, it means that i have to keep on top of keeping the mat moist and well, i am as slack as a bag of knackers sometimes. and i have to work.

both of the stems on the ones with the cotyloydon leaves are almost fucked and the seeds have not moved on at all so i have put 6 of them into my bubbler which i hastly created today.

if nowt happens which i suspect will be the case i will give myself a good slap bake a cake and try to forget.

my mate has the other 5 from the pack, they are looking well apart from a little bit og leaf burn cos the lights didnt get moved up quick enuf.

i didnt wanna grow ak47 anyways, i wanted white russian but they were out of stock so i ordered ak instead.

if i get some overtime in i might try some more. am getting a bit paranoid with it all, the first few attempt both soil and hydro(a hydro kit made by me and grown without meters!) worked perfect, i got 18 oz off 10 seedman sk1 (5 male,1 runt,4 ladies) with that botch system. grew 1 in dwc but it turned out male. i did that grow without rockwool, i just used perlite and clay pebs. since then i got some rockwool cos i liked the ease of use but since i did that i have killed seeds, good expensive strains too :(

cheers for guide for the proper use of rockwool starter cubes, damn fine work old chap :smoke:

gotta go now cos kids are stressing for their tea :crybaby:

respect

hi dp,

i hope you get it sorted, its not difficult once you know how to use RW, same with owt in life i suppose, if you know how to do summink its easy.. :crybaby:

the only thing i would suggest from what you wrote above is to get the seeds straight into the cubes onces theyve cracked, immediately, as soon as possible, as the longer the tap roots are, the bigger likelihood of fucking up the seed by damaging the tap root on insertion in to what ever medium youre using.

knowing the seed has cracked and once inserted into the cube, you can expect the the young shoot to pop through the rockwool in about 2-4 days.

good luck mate,

mu

:headpain:

nice one mate.

top advice. i realise how bloody lucky i was first go.

if these totally fail (i only need 2 females), which i will deffo know by mon, i will order some more and start again :crybaby:

still aint built my grow box yet as i dismantled my last effort. have got loads of that thick black roofin plastic and a brick shed so should be able to come up wi summat good. i need more time!

cheers the help. your posts are flagged on my pc so i will be following your advice. i like the idea of bubblers too :headpain: i have a halia compressor which i think will do 210 l/min and a big rena with 4 outputs so will be able to make loads of bubbles

B)

drp

nice one mate.

top advice. i realise how bloody lucky i was first go.

if these totally fail (i only need 2 females), which i will deffo know by mon, i will order some more and start again  :ouch:

still aint built my grow box yet as i dismantled my last effort. have got loads of that thick black roofin plastic and a brick shed so should be able to come up wi summat good. i need more time!

cheers the help. your posts are flagged on my pc so i will be following your advice. i like the idea of bubblers too :unsure: i have a halia compressor which i think will do 210 l/min and a big rena with 4 outputs so will be able to make loads of bubbles

B)

drp

399223[/snapback]

i use a halea compressor too, theyre cheap and powerful, if a bit on the noisey side.

mine is a 100L/min jobbie and it can run 48 x 12" toblerone airstones, enough for a good few bubblers...

i use a halea compressor too, theyre cheap and powerful, if a bit on the noisey side.

mine is a 100L/min jobbie and it can run 48 x 12" toblerone airstones, enough for a good few bubblers...

399230[/snapback]

is that right? 1halea like yours will do all those air stones?nice one buubles galore:-)i have a 308, how many could i run on that?

i tried using a bit of what you told me and so far i have saved 7& 3 maybes.

i'll keep you knformed.

thanks again

:yinyang:

ps, what nutes wuold you recommend bearing in mind i have 0,5l grow,500m (full bottle)root, full litre boot of pk, full supervit but no bloom.do i order the blkoon and grow or try another nute?

:D

cheers drp

hi mate,

i use advanced hydroponics of holland 3 part nutes which are very similar to general hydroponic 3 part nutes, but you can use other makes of hydro nutes too.

a lot of people use just the bloom and micro components of the 3 part nutes, using the lucas formula - information about that can be found a few posts back in this thread.

the halea compressor you have will run loads of airstones but you dont have to run many, you will just get more pressure through each airstone with less airstones - be more like froth than bubbles! :smoke:

i tried using a bit of what you told me and so far i have saved 7& 3 maybes

glad to hear it mate.. :)

Edited by MU

9 are definately going to survive thanks to your advice :ninja:

i just added phd water to my prop and then gently squeezed the excess liquid out of them. the two that were in there have pulled through so it must have worked.

i owe you 1.

the 7 i have in the bubbler (i have 7 in a 25 ltr res till i can sort em 1 box for 2plants till i sex em and then they will be 1 per box (black 30ltr storage boxes, £5 for 5 in b n q. the dwc seems to have rescued them, 3 are 1 inch seedlings and some starting to srout so i need to move the sprouted ones into 1 box and give them light and the unsprouted in a box with no light till they sprout. got day off friday so i will get me tools out.

a question, how soon can i put them onto 12/12 to sex them, i want to do it early so i can get shut of them males. i will put them bact into veg as soon as i have discarded males. can i do it asap, ie as soon as they are all sprouted? it takes about 2-3 weeks to shown sex in matured plant, i was wondering if the sex id time is shorter with seedlings?

anyhow, nice one for the help and congratulations on being a most excellent human and grower :offtopic:

cheers, DrP

ps, photo attached showing a couple of the babiespost-8183-1123013994.jpg

hi mate

delighted youve saved them.

are those seedlings in the bubblers? i ask, because i think its too soon if they are.

at this stage, i wouldnt be putting them in theyre pots with clay balls around them, because you need to be able to feel the rockwool cubes and guage how heavy they are and how much fluid they contain, particularly at watering time. to get to the rockwool as they are now, youre going to have to tip all the clay balls out and risk damaging the seedling. just a thought mate... :puke:

you also need to be able to check there are plenty of roots coming out the bottom of the 3" rockwool cube BEFORE insstalling them in the bubbler.

the way i would do it, is to grow the seedling in the 1" cube until a few roots are through the bottom of the cube. then i would move to 3" RW cubes (you put the 1" cube in a hole in a new 3" cube), and grow it in that until you have a few roots of several cm's coming out of the 3" cube.

then the seedlings will be ready to go in the bubbler.

if you have installed those seedlings in the bubbler now, 1) they dont need any nutes so theres no point, and 2) if all the roots are still in the rockwool cube, and none outside of it, you run the risk of the bubbler saturating the rockwool cube and suffucating the young plant of oxygen.

as to your other question about when to flower.. thats down to how much height you have and whether you will train/top the plants at all.

if it were me doing it, i would be topping them a couple of times, keeping the height to under 1ft, and then flower. ak47 can be a right stretchy bugger depending on pheno, so you will need to flower sooner rather than later, i would say when theyre about 1ft, if you get things right, theyll grow like bloody crazy, so height could become a problem.

hope that answers your questions, im well :ghost: so i hope i didnt miss owt.. :wassnnme:

Edited by MU