A Guide to Building and Operating Bubblers

MU

not sure what to recommend tbh.

me, i'd wait for the valium to wear off before doing any gardening dr. pierre... :wassnnme:

Edited by cheese farmer

me, i'd wait for the valium to wear off before doing any gardening dr. pierre... ;)

402336[/snapback]

:ninja:

drp's all clearheaded now after 12 hours on the market (all though sometimes i need valium on there with some of the the bloody fool customers), apart from the odd spliff but that dont count :bush:

all the babes seem to be doing fine, the aks in the bub have all grown 3/4-1/2" in 24hr (apart from 1 which has not grown up at all). all those 4 aks are all showing good leaf growth, the second set of spikys are well on thier way on three of them.

the ec in the bub is .4 (the water in these apart is top notch, the ec doesnt even register. i thin ec may be bit high but they seem to be ok:-) and ph 5.9 (got set this morning to5.7)

water level is at botton of net pot. got 4 airstones.

the bgum beans have all cracked and have been put into rock wool starter cubes. i experimented here by cutting the insides out of a couple of cubes and putting in perlite.

all the beans appear to be working, i think one is upside down though. 2 have sprouted and 1 just about has.

full respect and credit to mu. you are a star B)

am off, have got war of the worlds on dvd :yinyang:

respect to all, DrP

if it were me doing it, i would be topping them a couple of times, keeping the height to under 1ft, and then flower. ak47 can be a right stretchy bugger depending on pheno, so you will need to flower sooner rather than later, i would say when theyre about 1ft, if you get things right, theyll grow like bloody crazy, so height could become a problem.

hope that answers your questions, im well :smoke: so i hope i didnt miss owt.. :smoke:

400090[/snapback]

how do the XXX bubblegum fair regarding topping and hight?

i have about 1.90m so should be ok.

think i will still top them (if bubblegum likes being topped?) but stand fluros up the sid, we'll get thereesof grow box as they work wonders for side buddage (they do in my limited experience anyway:-)

i need to get some net pots in the next few days. no store around these parts flogs em so have to get em off net. there are nonne on ebay and the onl ythe ones i can find are like the onoes i have got.

never mind, we'll get there eventually :smoke:

drp

could i start with hesi nutes and then swith to a different kind? :smoke:

questions question questions :smoke:

edit, what nute woud you recommend?

Edited by dr.pierre

hi all,

all is very well, full respect and credit to MU, the man knows his shit :)

as mu (and any1 else who has been following this most excellent thread knows) i started these xxxbgum seeds on friday night, put them into to a germ box on wet cottonwool till they cracked. by sat night all bar 1 had cracked so i put them into a prop in rwool starter cubes following mu's instuctions.

now, tuesday morning (84hrs after i started them), 6 of the 7 have sprouted (the last one is either a slow starter or not viable).

the attached photo shows how far on they are after 84hrs.

bloody amazin.

how much further on do they have to be before i put them into a dwc? i was going to put them in as soon as i can see roots thru the starter cube. i think i can put them in earlier as long as i monitor the res level carefully.

the aks are coming on well too, 2 already have their 3rd set of spikys and 1 has its 4th! howeva 1 is a bit slower than the rest and is still on its 1st set with its second set just about sprouting.

anyhoe, i'll post pic of bgum seedlings so you can see (an interesting fact, the ones with the perlite in the starter cubes have grown that bit better than the ones in only rwool.

perlite starter cubes?

here from you later

DrP :smoke:

post-8183-1123580143.jpg

hi mate

good to see youre getting there.

not sure where you got the idea of putting perlite in the rockwool tho! :smoke::)

if you give the rockwool cubes a good squeeze after watering them to get the excess liquid out, you shouldnt need the perlite.

keep the seedlings in the cubes by themselves until you see a few roots out of the bottom of the cube.

check the weight and wetness of the RW cubes each day. re-water them when they feel nearly dry and light in weight always squeezing any excess liquid out of the cube.

keep the seedlings as close to the light as possible, 1-2" if under flo's, to prevent stretch, and get a small fan blowing air over them to strengthen the stems.

have you got an ec and ph meter and what nutes will you be using?

Edited by MU

hello mu , great thread mate ...... i was wandering about keeping my res cool in the coming months as it was just the start of spring down under ...... any tips for me ? :smoke:

hello mu , great thread mate ...... i was wandering about keeping my res cool in the coming months as it was just the start of spring down under ...... any tips for me ?  :)

402738[/snapback]

ive heard of people putting ice (iced up water bottles not lumps of ice) in the res, but never tried it myself... :)

perhaps improve your ventilation, if possible, to bring the temps in the growroom down? :)

air-con? :smoke:

Edited by MU

hey mu thanks for the quick reply.... i can't really afford the air con , which is what i need , i'm already to the max on ventilation ...... reckon i will just go for blocks of ice in a feeder res ........ B)

i havent used this method, so bear in mind im no expert on this, but i think the idea is to use iced 2L water bottles as opposed to blocks of ice, so that when it melts it doesnt change the water content of your res.

yea ..... i know the method ...... just got to plug me dirty old freezer in .... damn ..... probably cost more than the air con to run ...... :smoke:

hi mate

good to see youre getting there.

not sure where you got the idea of putting perlite in the rockwool tho! ;) ;)

if you give the rockwool cubes a good squeeze after watering them to get the excess liquid out, you shouldnt need the perlite.

keep the seedlings in the cubes by themselves until you see a few roots out of the bottom of the cube.

check the weight and wetness of the RW cubes each day. re-water them when they feel nearly dry and light in weight always squeezing any excess liquid out of the cube.

keep the seedlings as close to the light as possible, 1-2" if under flo's, to prevent stretch, and get a small fan blowing air over them to strengthen the stems.

have you got an ec and ph meter and what nutes will you be using?

402726[/snapback]

eyup dude,how are you, all well i hope;) i have had a nightmare day, i'll post it on another thread because ther peoples misfortunes always amuse folk :(

one of the aks has died, it is in exactly the same conditions as the other 3 which are doing fine, although i did measure the ec and it was 0.55 which is a very high for such small plants (thanks again mr mu ;) )

i was just experimenting with perlite, seems to have worked just as well

after i finish this post i am going to drain the res and put in abit of hesi grow and a bit of hesi root complex (i have these nutes left over from a previous grow which went well).

manufacturers dosage is 50ml/ 10l H20. i have 25 litres (although this will decrese as rootsdevelop).

so, if the ec needs to be 1/3 full strength and ful strength ec is 2.0-2.2 (???) say 1/3 of that is 0.7. i'll set the ec the to slightly less than half, 0.3, hye should b ok with that. touch wood.

i will fill up the res (noting how deep it needs to be, needs to be deep enuf so the splashes from the bubbles just about reach the rockwool.too deep res and i think the rock wool will saturate, too shallow and the rockwool will dry out)

i'll then add the nutes, i have about 0.5 l hesi grow, just about a full 0.5 ltr hesi root, a full 1l hesi pk13/14, and a 2/3 full 50ml hesi super vit. but no bloom

if i can switch nutes over i might, but will probably grow aks in hesi as i have a load.

i think i will get 1ltr hesi bloom and 1 ltr hesi grow, thats 20squid and with maybe onl 1 plant (or none allah,god,krishna forbid !!!!!)

are hesi good? are there better ones suited to my grow? i could run some bubs on hesi and some on what ever

i do that if i earn enuf this next week

it be a worthwhile experiment too side by side grow of diff nutes. need to buy them on the sly from the missus cos she'll notice that i have bought two different types of nutes.

or can you simply mix nutes?

i'll ph it (it literally needs the tiniest pinch, far less than you would put on yer chips ;) ) cos the water here from the tap is 6.8. i have started collecting rain water, thats gotta be better aint it? ;) and then i'l put he aks back in. the bubblers did save them though, no shit. healing bubblers. DrDWC, thta ought to be your name :-)

what would you recommend for the six bubblegum lol

i been looking thru diff nutes but am bit lost. dont really want to spend too much but that doesnt matter as any left over will be used and i want to get most out of me plants

i was thinking the same thing as you regarding when to put them into bubblers (actually you told me in an earlier post )

so that what i'm gonna do.

am goin to try and nurse the ak's (although they seem to be fine, 2 are sprouting their 3rd set with the 4th set showing and the other has 2 set with 3rd showing.) i'll reduce their ec to

i think i let the 4th dry out as it was sitting quite high in its cube and it was a tallish one about 1" from light but i think h20 starvation killed it.

i really am a lol for brains sometimes.

never mind, lessons have been learned. it can only get better.

i can now start thinking about another strain which my mate and i are going to attept to breed with. i likethe soung of a pure sativa, we could do 2 male strains if funds are enuf or if we could trade with someone???

anyways, sorry for the lecture, 1st pic of the bgum after 6 days :smoke:

2nd pic is one of the aks

i'l ask later bout when to start em on nutes

good night all, i have some engineering to do

DrP

post-8183-1123802121.jpg

post-8183-1123802344.jpg

hi dr.p

eyup dude,how are you, all well i hope;) i have had a nightmare day, i'll post it on another thread because ther peoples misfortunes always amuse folk  :smug:

one of the aks has died, it is in exactly the same conditions as the other 3 which are doing fine, although i did measure the ec and it was 0.55 which is a very high for such small plants (thanks again mr mu :blushing: )

what is the EC of your tap water before you add any nutes?

after i finish this post i am going to drain the res and put in  abit of hesi grow and a bit of hesi root complex (i have these nutes left over from a previous grow which went well).

manufacturers dosage is 50ml/ 10l H20. i have 25 litres (although this will decrese as rootsdevelop).

how old are you seedlings? they shouldnt need any nutes for the first couple of weeks, just ph balanced water.

so, if the ec needs to be 1/3 full strength and ful strength ec is 2.0-2.2 (???) say 1/3 of that is 0.7. i'll set the ec the to slightly less than half, 0.3, hye should b ok with that. touch wood.

ignore the doseage recommendations on the bottle, use your EC meter instead to determine nute strength.

once the seedlings start needing nutes, set the EC to 0.1 above your background water ec. then as the plant grows, you can increase the nutes, as and when needed.

so, if the EC out of your tap is 0.4 for example, make up the res so the EC reading is 0.5. then work up gradually as the plants need more food.

i will fill up the res (noting how deep it needs to be, needs to be deep enuf so the splashes from the bubbles just about reach the rockwool.too deep res and i think the rock wool will saturate, too shallow and the rockwool will dry out)

if you make sure there are loads of roots busting out the bottom of the rockwool cube before you install them in to the bubbler, you should then be able to set the water level to about 1cm below the rockwool cube - the roots should grow downwards and find the water within a couple of days. if there are lots of roots out the bottom of the rockwool cube, then its unlikely the seedling will be overwatered if the res level is saturating the rockwool cube.

i'll then add the nutes, i have about 0.5 l hesi grow, just about a full 0.5 ltr hesi root, a full 1l hesi pk13/14, and a 2/3 full 50ml hesi super vit. but no bloom

if i can switch nutes over i might, but will probably grow aks in hesi as i have a load.

i think i will get 1ltr hesi bloom and 1 ltr hesi grow, thats 20squid and with maybe onl 1 plant (or none allah,god,krishna forbid !!!!!)

are hesi good? are there better ones suited to my grow? i could run some bubs on hesi and some on what ever

i do that if i earn enuf this next week  

it be a worthwhile experiment too side by side grow of diff nutes. need to buy them on the sly from the missus cos she'll notice that i have bought two different types of nutes.

or can you simply mix nutes?

sorry but im not familiar with Hesi nutes.

Canna Aqua are popular for use in bubblers.

cheers

mu

Edited by MU

hi dr.p

what is the EC of your tap water before you add any nutes? 

how old are you seedlings?  they shouldnt need any nutes for the first couple of weeks, just ph balanced water.

ignore the doseage recommendations on the bottle, use your EC meter instead to determine nute strength.

once the seedlings start needing nutes, set the EC to 0.1 above your background water ec.  then as the plant grows, you can increase the nutes, as and when needed.

so, if the EC out of your tap is 0.4 for example, make up the res so the EC reading is 0.5.  then work up gradually as the plants need more food. 

if you make sure there are loads of roots busting out the bottom of the rockwool cube before you install them in to the bubbler, you should then be able to set the water level to about 1cm below the rockwool cube - the roots should grow downwards and find the water within a couple of days.  if there are lots of roots out the bottom of the rockwool cube, then its unlikely the seedling will be overwatered if the res level is saturating the rockwool cube.

sorry but im not familiar with Hesi nutes.

pics of an ak

Canna Aqua are popular for use in bubblers. 

cheers

mu

404963[/snapback]

hi there m8, i have not yet mastered the art of getting quotes up, its seems to be evading me for some reason. if someone can kindly enlighten me i'll be most gatefull ;)

believe it or not, but the ec in my tap water is zero, absolutely nada. i have saved a bit of rain water too (filtered it through a few layers of the missus's finest stockings. dont matter, thyey were ripped anyway ;)

the ec of the rain water is as far as i can gather with my bluelab truncheon, 0.05 or 0.005. three quick blips on 0 then 1 blip on 0.1 (i tink :smug:

i live on atlantic coast so get good clean atlantic air :smug::smug::guitar:

hmmmmmmm

now i have 6 in my temporary starter bub, 3 ak n 3 bgm, the ak being 1 week in front of the gum so are 20 days old.

i may have fucked up with the nute you know cos i followed the manufactureres recommendations and its recommended 2.2 max so i was after 1 third, 0.7. i thought i give it 0.2 root complex to get it started which ended up at 0.5 !!! :smoke:

never mind, all is in hand. the ec in there is 0.1, i know it may be a little early for the bgum but they seem to be ok. the aks are coming on well, even the runt og the three is looking to have some serious indica characteristicts and the other two are al ready looking branchy.

the other two bgum are sat in 3" rwool which in turn is sunk in a bout 1/3 " into 1" of vermiculite which is monitored for water twice daily at least. they have just been given ph'd water. all the bgum look at this moment to be all identical. i have ordered 10 6" netpots so i should have 2 bubs on the go, 4 plants each till i finally make flower room. need another day in the week.

when that is built, they will go into 2 per bub till sexed and then 1 per bub.

this is the billion dollar question i wanted to ask, on the bloom bottle it says optimal value ±1.5, so where dis i get 2.2 from? could the blooms optimimal value be ±2.2?

or have i got it totally wrong. ?

i am setting my ec to be 0.5 max (1 third strength for dwc), i will gradually build it up over a couple of weeks.

when i start to flower (i have not got a flower bottle to read the guide!!!) do i gradually take the ec up to 7-7.5?. i'll have abloom bottle soon so will know facts:-)

do you think that i am on the right lines?

god, allah, krisshna, haile sellassie, buddha and any other of you gods out there, please give me 4 females (with at least one of them being an ak )

i have only ever used hesi nutes and when i have got it right they have been superb. they came highly recommended and are a a good price, more expensive than the cheap ones but less expensive than the expensive jobs. they have a cracking cv too with lots of cup wins.

and besides i aint enuf $$$ to buy two different lots

am off to bed.

bloody knackered :smug:

post-8183-1124056433.jpg

hi dr.p,

as ive not had that much experience starting seedlings in bubblers, ive just been doing some research on what you should be feeding your seedlings, and i was wrong to say you shouldnt feed them for the first couple of weeks (thats in compost), as there's no nutes at all in the rockwool, you should have them on a 1/5 - 1/4 strength nutes.

sorry about that... obvious really if id thought about it properly, but i usually start my seeds in muck, so thats my excuse... ;)

Edited by MU