A Guide to Building and Operating Bubblers

MU

its a 35 litre tub, will hold 30 litres with the pots submerged 1 inch.

as soon as the mrs gets up i can start making noise (bloody nightshiftworkers)

i will fill it and see how well it copes, if it's crap then the other pump will get thrown into the equasion with another 2 stones.

the reason for using these tubs is that they will fit in my growroom.

i can get 2 in there and still have room for the odd soil pot.

i had planned on having 2 running with 4 pots in each, on a 1 month rotation, so i am cropping / flowering once every 4 weeks, but i am a bit ahead of myself as my mum stock is being rebuilt after the borg wars.

this 6 pot bub is being used to flower off all of the clones and stuff that was in the veg room recovering from the borg battles, time for a clean slate.

this way i get to get my feet wet with dwc while not having to fret too much about the stock that is going into the netpots.

the mums that are germing & vegging currently will require a working knowledge of dwc for me to be able to give them a half decent chance of reaching their full potential.

355355[/snapback]

sounds good to me ped... :smoke:

that res of 30L should be fine.

be interested to see how your ec's dffer to mine, so please keep us posted... ;)

mu i start the ec at about 0.8 for the first week and 1.4 after that for another week of veg then stay at 1.4 all through flower, i use lucas formula but without ro water but im lucky enough to get 0 ec tap water thanks to severn trent water from the welsh valleys. my ec is meazured with nz trunction, ive noticed americans use a different scale of ec to the nz trunction but they take there ec extremely high like 2.2

right i see...

tbh mate, youre ph should be rising, and slowly... if its dropping the mix is too strong... thats what i find with my bubs anyway.

the more concentrated the mix becomes as more water is consumed than nutes, the nutes drag the ph down.

if things are calibrated correctly, the nutes and water are consumed at the same rate, and the ph rises very slowly, and the ec remains constant or drops only slightly.

how the plants looking? have you tried a lower ec, see how they do? a jump from 0.8 to 1.4 seems quite a big one, do you rise up gradually? if the ph rises too quickly, then the nute mix is too weak...

Edited by MU
  • Like 1

my ec is meazured with nz trunction,

355382[/snapback]

Hi great post MU :smoke:

any idea what the different flashing sequences mean?

I was gonna post earlier but it looks like you covered all my other questions

lofty ;)

Hi great post MU  :smoke:

any idea what the different flashing sequences mean?

I was gonna post earlier but it looks like you covered all my other questions

lofty ;)

355388[/snapback]

yeah, if its flashing between 0.4 and 0.6 it means its 0.5...

thats all the flashing you should get on a nz truncheon, ie between even numbers to represent the odd number... if its doing any other kind of flashing ooh err missus then i dunno mate...

• Like 1

yeah, if its flashing between 0.4 and 0.6 it means its 0.5...

thats all the flashing you should get on a nz truncheon, ie between even numbers to represent the odd number... if its doing any other kind of flashing ooh err missus then i dunno mate...

355390[/snapback]

I try to keep around 1.8 max but i get like 8 flashes @ 1.8 and four flashes @ 1.6 sometimes it alternates between led's so i'm none the wiser, If it goes up to 2.0 then i normally do a water change and i'm getting odd readings from the Seramis clay granules (couldnt get any H202 had to make do with Milton) when i add new pots.

cheers anyway dude watching with more interest from now on

Lofty

bugger

both my 55lph pumps arent enough to have an effect on the surface.

i tried with round stones and tbh its a joke, circles of bubbles above where the stones are located and that's about it. i think the water is too deep.

oh well , plan B

i have a 10 litre plastic tub with a lid, just begging to be used, i reckon i can get 2 pots in the lid noworries.

at least i've got something to do to get me out of the housework. :smoke:

stronger pump and better airstones needed mate, not a smaller res - theyre a pain to manage tbh.

30L tubs are just right imo, quite easy to calibrate and get them running smoothly without massive jumps in ec or ph. deep is fine (it is DEEP Water Culture after all :smoke: ) if you have a good pump... standard 150L dual outlet will be fine mate, can run 4 x 12" toblerones on that...

get aqua fizz if you can, google for them...

Edited by MU

needs must as the wallet drives m8

i need a system to flower these clones in tonight, otherwise they're going to end up in passive perlite, cos they sure aren't ending up in the bin.

cheers for your help m8, i'm sure i'll be screaming for ya when me tips are frying.

Guest Ludacris2004

hi all been reading this thread intensivly over past days but im ready to start a bubbler but was wondering about 2 things really what size bucket you recommend for a 4 plant system?

and what airpump do you recommend for the bucket?i need a really quiet 1 cuz im in growing in the shed :D

this is my list of things needed so far please add if needed :-

+ one resivour (size dunno yet need answer) :D

+ airstone

+ airpump

+ 4 net pots

+ diahydro pebbles

+ Lid

Anythin else you suggest?

masterly thread as usual MU :)

I'd really like to see some comparisons on grow techniques. ;) I think the only thing I know for sure is organic produces the finest smoke. The rest is up for debate with me. I think in terms of growth rate, yield etc I wouldn't be surprised if the bubbler method, done to its finest, would be the winner. Your thread might have brought me one step nearer to giving it a shot actually. lol

cheers Mu. the quality is in the detail as usual mate.

loveweed ;)

hi all been reading this thread intensivly over past days but im ready to start a bubbler but was wondering about 2 things really what size bucket you recommend for a 4 plant system?

and what airpump do you recommend for the bucket?i need a really quiet 1 cuz im in growing in the shed  :yinyang:

this is my list of things needed so far please add if needed :-

+ one resivour (size dunno yet need answer)  :guitar:

+ airstone

+ airpump

+ 4 net pots

+ diahydro pebbles

+ Lid

Anythin else you suggest?

357022[/snapback]

hi mate

a useful guideline is 4g per plant, which would equate to a a 64L res,. (4 * 4 * 4) but i have had no problems with less gallons per plant. for 4 plants i would aim for a res of at least 40L. the width and length need to be big enough to allow for 4 plants too, so it would need to be at least 60cm long and 40cm wide, thats the dimensions of my tubs and theyre perfect for 4 plants.

as for airstones, find an online aquarium shop that sells AQUA FIZZ 12" airstones, or at least 12" toblerone airstones - try to make sure theyre toblerones because they produce loads more bubbles than any other airstone ive used.

i would suggest for one bubbler of the size im talking about you would want at least 4 airstones, but i would recommend 8 so you can arrange them so that 2 airstones are under each plant - the more bubbles the better!

to drive 4 airstones, you could use 1 dual outlet 150L p/h pump, and to drive 8 toblerones, you would need either 2 x 150L dual outlet pumps, or 1 x 300L dual outlet pump.

dont make the mistake i made and use too few airstones. for a 4 plant bubbler i do think 4 airstones is the minimum you should have and 8 would be better.

you will need a few airline T-splitters, airline and some means of securing the airstones to the bottom... i use a rack thingy, other people glue the stones to the bucket - its up to you.

also, if youre in a shed, you will more than likely need an aquarium heater in the colder weather. do NOT put an aquarium heater by itself in a bubbler, because as the roots touch it, the area around the heater will be too warm, as the water is hottest near the heater. put the aquarium heater in an empty plastic bottle and then in the bubbler to stop the roots touching it, OR put the bubbler in a bigger tub with some water in it and the aqua heater in the bigger tub, and the bubbler in it too, so the inside tub gets the temp of the outside tub - hope that makes sense.

also, if youre in the shed, it might be easier to get 2 tubs, so when changing over, you can prepare the 2nd tub and switch the lids over for easy res changes.

Edited by MU
  • Like 1

as for noise, ive not really had problems with noise from the bubblers themselves, more the fans and compressor.

if you use a pump called SilentAir they are very quiet... also seating the bubbler on 4" of polystyrene, reduces the noise of the bubbler itself.