yeah. I think you are right - she got another 5 days more but I could've given her another 5 more after that...but a bird in the hand, as they say - and outdoors is always a balancing act. Who knows who has their beady eyes on my plants? Also, rot can strike fast so everyday is a risk for so many reasons...

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 2:46 PM, Grover Sativa said:

yeah. I think you are right - she got another 5 days more but I could've given her another 5 more after that...but a bird in the hand, as they say - and outdoors is always a balancing act. Who knows who has their beady eyes on my plants? Also, rot can strike fast so everyday is a risk for so many reasons...

I would push her until Friday 27th and take it from their mate ;)

If you think you can push her another 3-5 day's until early October that would be perfect but if you see any rot I would cut and run :yep:

I'll drop back in on the next update buddy  :cheers:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark

• 3 months later...
On 25/09/2019 at 1:00 PM, HSO-Mark said:

I would push her until Friday 27th and take it from their mate ;)

If you think you can push her another 3-5 day's until early October that would be perfect but if you see any rot I would cut and run :yep:

I'll drop back in on the next update buddy  :cheers:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Hi all,

I had a great grow in the end and got a few big buckets of bud all in all! The big plant went right up into October and was about 8 or 9 weeks when I chopped her.

The one that got started early was chopped at around 8 weeks but you were right, I could have given her a couple of days more. Still, a bird in the hand, as they say. The plant I hit with pollen went about 10 weeks because I wanted to make sure that those pips were good and mature before cutting her down. The extra week did not do anything bad and, in fact, the buds were even fatter but the smoke was not as good. This could have been due to the extra energy she put into seed production but she was not 100% pollinated but carefully brushed..

The high on the big 2 is really great. It is high and very pleasant and happy, just like the first time I grew her, indoors. The bag appeal is less but everybody loves the sun-grown nature of the whole scenario. Also, I have got about 1/2 bar of hashish from the trim and shake so far - 2 grades + plenty of culinary scuff for cake baking. I will try to get some photos of the hash and a big ol' cola if I have the or rocks.. So much to do at the moment.

The flavour is gassy gassy gassy but I am detecting a definite fruity note curing in. I think I could do better with quality next year. I think I went too long with N. I should have totally cut it out at 4 weeks. Plenty left in the soil to keep the plant healthy until the chop. Also, should have got rid of more of those inner flowers - too much shnazzlefratz (which may explain the amount of hash I have made so far - still, I love hash and it goes to show - if you can't harvest top top flowers outdoors then grow for hash. You can still get loads - even here in the UK)

Edited by Grover Sativa
  • Like 2

with regards to the seeds I bred - the mother above had everything, really. Yield and resin and a quick finish. Big colas and a good flower to leaf ratio and a lovely high. Most importantly of all - she works!!! The only downers were that it was a little lacking in aromatic character once harvested and a slightly too subtle flavour the smoked but I am being picky here. For this reason I crossed it with 3 male phenotypes of OG Kush (HSO seeds.) A green one, a purple one and a green one that went purple when flowering. Also, just to provide a resource for mining great kush plants from (if it works..)

The cross went well and I have a few hundred really healthy Kush seeds as a result. I am testing a few now and have 3 really healthy looking females. I will report on how they do but I have to say that I am impressed with their vigour so far and considering there are 3 different dads involved, all 6 plants (the males and females) look really similar. There is much less variation in these seeds ([strawberry x kush] x [kush x kush]) than in the original seeds (of Strawberry x kush) Also, the phenotype selected for mother was a kush leaning one, too, so it is not a surprise that all the seeds so far are Kushy. It is still cool, though - it is nice when something works as expected. Breeding rarely does for me!!!)

Edited by Grover Sativa
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

these are some pics of the 4 female testers I have from the cross I made with this female (above) and 3 male OG Kush plants (breeder version, HSO)

1 was green

1 was purple

1 was green but flowered with purple edges

All 3 were vigorous

there are no real smells yet. Perhaps no 2 and 6 smell a little of something or other...

apologies for the yellow light - it is a little off putting, I know...

large_LVK7.jpglarge_LVK6.jpglarge_LVK5.jpglarge_LVK4.jpglarge_LVK3.jpglarge_LVK2.jpglarge_LVK1.jpg

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 9:54 PM, Grover Sativa said:

found these photos on the memory card. Taken just prior to harvest..large_bud4.jpglarge_bud3.jpglarge_bud2.jpglarge_bud1.jpg

Thanks for digging out the memory card mate :yep:

A few stunning shots  ;)

Thanks for sharing  :bong:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the look of that fat sticky girl, love fat sticky girls and if you taste a fash of strawberry all the better lol

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 2Fat2EatThat said:

Loving the look of that fat sticky girl, love fat sticky girls and if you taste a fash of strawberry all the better lol

Aye! Thanks, too - kind words.

• Like 1

The 4 testers of the cross with the OG Kush males are rocking on now. All 4 are flowering well and forming nice looking buds. 

There is great vigour in all 4 and they look healthy.

2 are very similar (but not exactly the same) and the other 2 are kind of similar to each other but not like the first 2.

All 4 have a certain vibe, though - and a certain funk to their smells.

the best of them is no 1. She is a superb shape and has provided nice looking flower clusters so far, forming into colas by the looks of it.

The resin production is actually fantastic and she smells the best, too. very sweet and very citric. It is Lemony but because of the sweetness and as the flowering progresses the aromas veer between sweet lemon (like Lemon Sherbert) to lime to a kind of tangerine. Perhaps it is as the sugars and resins develop at slightly different times or maybe it is just whatever mood I am in at the time. She also has that underlying funk.

They are all sweet and fruity, from the strawberry but curiously none have that OG Kush piney/Gassy way. There is certainly some earthiness and organic dampness that you get but nothing else. I am not complaining - all 4 are just lovely plants, so far.

I must say that I am blown away by the all round quality of all 4 plants but definitely number 1. She even has a name of her own - "Lee Valley Kush" (OK, so the Lee Valley is not the San Fernando Valley but hey..it is where I find myself and I love it here!)

I am actually quite proud of this cross - it is one of my better attempts but it is not that so much as the fact that it is kind of not far of what I had planned as opposed to happening upon a random nice plant from within the jumble! If I had bought a 10 pack of regs and ended up with these 4 females I would have been over the moon, to be honest. (well, so far anyway - many a slip, 'twixt cup and lip...)

The most exciting thing is that I have hundreds of these seeds and this is just the first 4 ladies... what else is in there for me to discover? Something even better than the LVK?

Not only did that female above provide all those clones and all that bud but also the next seasons seeds as well! (and many after that, too)

I have hit the lower branches of the Lee Valley Kush with some pure Jamaican Sativa pollen (the pure, longtime 'landrace' sativa) because she is worth it.

The photos are of no 1, the Lee Valley Kush (LVK)

THIS SHOWS THE RESIN ENCRUSTING THE LEAVES OF THIS TOP BUD

large.5e4121c4e0a87_SSSGoFxOG1.jpg

THIS TOP IS FORMING INTO A NICE COLA DOWN THE BRANCH

large.5e4121b967a37_SSSGoFxOG2.jpg

Edited by Grover Sativa
  • Like 2

On 10/02/2020 at 9:47 AM, Grover Sativa said:

I am actually quite proud of this cross - it is one of my better attempts but it is not that so much as the fact that it is kind of not far of what I had planned as opposed to happening upon a random nice plant from within the jumble!

It's always cool to see a bit of breeding work  ;)

Your creation looks to be doing very well  :yep:

Have you thought about maybe donating a few to UK420 member's? 

Sounds like a fire cross and would be super cool to see more grows up ;)

Just a thought my friend  :bong:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark

21 hours ago, HSO-Mark said:

It's always cool to see a bit of breeding work  ;)

Your creation looks to be doing very well  :yep:

Have you thought about maybe donating a few to UK420 member's? 

Sounds like a fire cross and would be super cool to see more grows up ;)

Just a thought my friend  :bong:

Kind regards 

Mark..

I do have a lot of seeds... let me grow out a slightly larger sample and if the results are reasonably consistent, there are no hermies and the vigour is good then I would be happy to - it would be interesting to see what people find and the adventure has been extremely productive for me so far. The plants I have found so far certainly pass the looks and smells test up to now..

I will do that ASAP - before summer planting time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grover Sativa said:

I do have a lot of seeds... let me grow out a slightly larger sample and if the results are reasonably consistent, there are no hermies and the vigour is good then I would be happy to - it would be interesting to see what people find and the adventure has been extremely productive for me so far. The plants I have found so far certainly pass the looks and smells test up to now..

I will do that ASAP - before summer planting time

actually, I am more confident than that... if this grow ends without hermies then I will happily send you some seeds for a giveaway (- if anybody actually wants to try them!!)

• Like 2

All 4 plants are really rocking on now. They all smell lovely with a deep funk and sweetness. 3 are citric to different levels. Lemon/lime/orange depending on mood. 1 is more organic but has large dense buds. All have resin but no 1 has the most - all over the fan leaves and everything else. It also has the sharpest brightest smell. It yields well but is not the biggest of the 4. To be honest there are 4 nice plants from 4, no space wasters. No hermies and good vigour. The smell levels are strong but vary between plants, some stink more some less. The resin is between good and great-not quite outrageous but there is potential for one like that to be in there somewhere!

• Like 2