PedwarUrgain

2 hours ago, pepe16 said:

I'm learning from you mate!      I'm going, later today, to read through your posts and the very helpful replies from the patient dudes on this forum (as a 51 year old, dude is propably not the right term!) especially regarding heat and humidity, for starters.    Made the mistake of reading through a grow diary from  a chap and let myself get sucked into having brain squeezed  by nute levels in a hydro system..... and felt overwhelmed and lost :(    I'll try and focus on only starter areas from now on, without getting distracted.   As it doesn't take much to distract me unless I make an effort not to.      

Tell me about it!  The problem I have found is that there is so much advice all of which seems to differ slightly. I don't blame you for being a tad confused - happened to me too.

I decided to try and keep things simple (I'm not made of money for things for growing) and just try and keep up with the basics - humidity, light and temps. Why buy an expensive (for me) humidifier if a damp towel does the same thing? This first grow is an exercise in learning for me, and hopefully I'll get some nice smoke out of it.

A few people have said that growing weed is a bit like, well, growing weeds - providing they have more-or-less the right environment, they'll grow. Nutes, hydro, training, fancy growing mediums are all just ways to get more out of the grow - I'm happy with just keeping them alive for now.

I hope reading this diary helps, but just remember - it might yet go horribly wrong, only time will tell.

There are loads of people here happy to help, and much kudos to them - they must hear the same questions a lot! Can't fault them at all though. Their help has been invaluable!

If you do start a grow, make a diary and point me to it, I'll certainly try and help out where I can.

All the best!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Couple of tips for ya bud...

When you repot bury most of the stem in the soil.

Invest in a couple of 25w cfl bulbs for germination purposes, you can put these right onto the plant as soon as it breaks surface, this cuts out the bulk of the stretch.

:yep:

Thanks Mate, a couple of CFLs are in the plan for the next grow. I read about stretching but it didn't really make sense until I saw it first-hand. Now I know more about the problem and solution I'll be sure to switch a few bits up for the next grow.

As for re-potting, burying them up to an inch from the first leaves is the advice I've been given, so give it a few more days and that's just what I'll be doing.

Thanks for the pointers, they're always most welcome!

• Like 2

Day 12 from seed:

Another post with nothing much to report - Showing more roots every day, but not ready to re-pot just yet. Growing in height has slowed but the leaves are growing day by day.

Day 12 from seed:

large_11.JPG

Edited by PedwarUrgain
  • Like 4

Day 13 from seed

So, all the weedlings are between 9-10cm now, and still getting on well. Their height is not increasing very fast but they are now starting to show their 3rd set of true leaves.

I'm still waiting for the right time to re-pot them, but I still don't think they're quite ready yet. They feel like they would like a drink today so I'll do that and re-assess the pot situation in another couple of days.

That's all for now folks.

Day 13 from seed:

large_12.JPG

large_12a.jpg

Edited by PedwarUrgain
  • Like 4

Day 14 from Seed - Two week old and they're still alive! :bong:

More growth overnight. Their third set of leaves are all coming out now. Nothing else is happening really, but they seem happy enough.

Day 14 from seed:

large_13.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PedwarUrgain said:

Day 14 from Seed - Two week old and they're still alive! :bong:

Oh they are more than still alive my friend they are thriving  :yep:

I must say I'm loving the detail you are providing in this diary and great to see your getting some cool advice from the UK420 community  ;)

Another couple of days then I would do that pot up buddy. As others have said bury those stems about an inch into the new pots and that will be perfect  ;)

Looking in tip top shape mate :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

Oh they are more than still alive my friend they are thriving  :yep:

I must say I'm loving the detail you are providing in this diary and great to see your getting some cool advice from the UK420 community  ;)

Another couple of days then I would do that pot up buddy. As others have said bury those stems about an inch into the new pots and that will be perfect  ;)

Looking in tip top shape mate :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

Thanks Mate, I really appreciate your more experienced eye, and super happy they're looking good!

Today is the big day - see following post.

Cheers Mark

Day 15 from seed

So, today is the day for re-potting. They are fairly dry and If I water them again now, it will be another couple of days and I'm going to be a tad busy so here goes.

This is what they looked like before:

large_14.jpg

This is what their roots are looking like:

large_14a.jpg

And this is them in their new homes:

large_14c.JPG

The repotting went OK I think. The root balls were perhaps a little too dry as the soil was very loose. The new pots are 3.8l. I went with the fabric pots (against advice) pretty much because I'm skint and already had the fabric pots. Next time I will be using plastic just to avoid the stress (to me and the plants). 

Anyway, they have had a drink to help them settle in. They had about a litre between them, which is pretty much what they have been on every two or three days. Watered them around the stems. There is no sign of run-off but I'm keen to avoid overwatering.

Should I now be watering them enough to get run-off?

They are now sitting on the floor of the tent, but have 3 inches of bubble wrap that cam with the fan sat under them.

I'm going to see how they get on for the next week and then turn the lights up to 400w.

Are their any warning signs I should be looking for now they have been repotted?

As always, thanks muchly folks.

• Like 2

Good job mate.  I’d leave the watering this time. Next time though, water until run off, leave till dry then repeat.  They will soon spread their roots and then you’ll see the top growth explode into action.

the 3.5litre pots I use take about 1.2litres of water to fully saturate the compost, with a little run off of course.

Edited by Rampa Green

Thanks @Rampa Green, That's good to know. 

The compost they went into was pretty dry already as it had been in the tent for a couple of days to warm up. I think they will need watering again tomorrow evening or the next morning.  I'll be watering them slowly and will be sure to wait until i see a little runoff.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I agree with @Rampa Green.

If you watered them in today you won’t need to water tomorrow. It’s time to start the wet dry cycle now pal. When the pot feels light water until runoff and then not until the pot gets light again and repeat.

Great job with the pot up and grow so far pal.

Edited by Rick Grimes
  • Like 2

Nice one on the pot up @PedwarUrgain and as it's been said, you should now water them until run off, start a wet/dry cycle and they'll soon be filling out the pots and reaching for the light :yep:

Let us all know how you get on with potting up from fabric pots, you might be OK, it's just what I've read/heard as there's probably other growers that do it.

• Like 1