What's gone wrong with diaries this year?

HSO-Mark

50 minutes ago, Rick Grimes said:

I agree that a minimum post count and a history of diaries on the forum as a requirement before free seeds are given would be a positive move and something few would think unreasonable.

@HSO-Mark i beleive there should be a minimum requirement as rick has stated.i think some get the beans with no intention of doing a diary, but most i think have good intentions. not only no diary but unfinished diaries, shit does happen but when it does i always post it in the diary so you and any one following will know what happened security,health problems, and even hurricanes lol

i can see where you want to give the new guys a chance i remember about ten years ago you gave me a chance and we have been good friends ever since. i know some think well its just free marketing for the bean co. but a lot of us are med users and your diary may even help someone. if i cant do a full diary i will post pics in the strain guide a lot of people use the guide to find a strain to help them.

ive been opiod free now for about 8 years and it all started with a diary for mark.

love you brother mark, sam

Edited by samhigh
  • Like 15

@HSO-Mark :yep:

Sad news peeps take freebies then take the piss by not doing their diaries.

Good news that Joolz has a list of defaulters.

Why can’t participants see that sharing a diary, even if it’s a disaster is what we need?

This way, we can all learn.

Health, home, family, personal stuff obviously takes precedence but the attitude of “don’t care, got something for nothing” sucks!

You’re no sucker Mark, you deserve better, fact is - you’re a blessing and have helped loads of peeps. :notworthy:

Personally, I thought 5 seeds each was too many, 3 would suffice for me.

How about lowering your offer so only those with green fingers would take part.

But you’re a generous guy and want to help everyone.

In fact, every time I see the Channel 4 metal giant helping his community it always reminds me of YOU. :v:

:oldtoker:

Edited by Mcgarret
  • Like 3

slightly off topic but somethings been on my mind about "free seeds".....

I feel a slight conflict of interests with free seeds.....

I wanna be in a good position to try/test out seeds but feel if I say anything negative it could be counter productive?

feel kinda awkward just saying this but.....:yinyang:

• Like 4

Alright there @buddy13

I hear you with the conflict of interest, but if I find shit I will report shit in my diary’s,

Gotta be fair and honest, no point raving on about how good things are if they are not, a lot of people like Mark said have failed the germ process for the pot challenge, I was one of them, I feel no regret for killing a lot of Marks seeds, just makes me feel like a bit of a failure, but at least I am going to finish with a fairly credible entry, some of them definitely are more difficult to going.

I am glad that @HSO-Mark is such a stand up fellow and understands that people make mistakes, but he’ll rome wasn’t built in a day and all that, I have think the important thing is to understand what went wrong to rectify for next time. 

Take it easy.Jj:yinyang:

• Like 5

Mark,

I can only speak for myself. I have slashed the purchasing of seeds due to the availability of clones now, especially through insta etc....

With the availability of clones and with now keeping mothers seed buying has become non existent. 

I can only imagine moving forward that when legislation eventually does happen in the UK that clones will rule the roost.

It goes without saying clones are more convenient and consistent than seeds.

The US clone market seems to be booming, as with most things we will probably follow suit.

Not condoning breaking the law of course, but if certain clones appeared on a well know social media app I would be sorely tempted.......:banned:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, trance said:

Mark,

I can only speak for myself. I have slashed the purchasing of seeds due to the availability of clones now, especially through insta etc....

With the availability of clones and with now keeping mothers seed buying has become non existent. 

I can only imagine moving forward that when legislation eventually does happen in the UK that clones will rule the roost.

It goes without saying clones are more convenient and consistent than seeds.

The US clone market seems to be booming, as with most things we will probably follow suit.

Not condoning breaking the law of course, but if certain clones appeared on a well know social media app I would be sorely tempted.......:banned:

no disrespect, but you have to have a seed to get a plant to get a clone. seeds will always be valuable. with clones also you have to make sure your not getting any extras with them such as spider mites  etc..

sam 

Edited by samhigh
  • Like 8

Reckon a deal is a deal and should be honoured but there can be delays and this should be explained as life doesn't run to plan sometimes, but never not honoured or returned :yinyang: 

• Like 5

@trance I have to disagree with that dude, I have gone the other way and ditched the mother plants and taking cuts and now prefer to grow seed plants exclusively.

I get bored growing and consuming the same cut all the time, I found if I rely on a few trusted breeders for seeds I rarely get a bad plant. 

There are are plenty of people on here like me who just pop seeds for each grow and then you have whole Auto scene which are seed only.

I don’t think the market for seeds will drop anytime soon, if anything I think it will get bigger as legislation moves on.

• Like 8

If you take the seeds, you should do a diary, even if some personal shit pops up, do a diary later down the line as soon as your able. Send the breeder a PM to say your delayed for personal reasons and in a month or so, start a diary.

Its hard work to keep onto of a diary at times but i enjoy it, love popping by a plot to see the difference from last time. 

I commited to diarys for free seeds from HSO, Dinafem, DP and RGSC , I have stuck to them with diary for each and have my own diary with all them and few others in.

You take the seeds so do the diary

i always take the freeby thinking .haha i got freeebies ...then i go fuck meself over and do a diary ..ive not quite got the art of taking the piss down yet .

• Like 12

On 13/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, buddy13 said:

I wanna be in a good position to try/test out seeds but feel if I say anything negative it could be counter productive?

With this I would say a diary is a diary and if something goes wrong document it. Weather it be the seed companies fault, your error or a random freak accident. It all adds to the diary, more info on the forum so other members and new additions will not make our mistakes :yep:

I was a bit 50/50 on starting this thread but I'm glad I did.  It's sparked some great chatter and moving forward I'm sure we will get the diary rate back up.

I must take some blame for being to slack and saying yes to every member. I'll tighten up a bit and may drop it from 5 seed to 3 seeds but 3 strains per member ?(Thoughts) ;)

Let's see :bong:

Thanks to everyone who has put in your input and thoughts  :)

Kind regards 

Mark.. 

Edited by HSO-Mark
  • Like 11

Just a thought but it only just occurred to me you could use a similar system to admin when they run site comps.

Lifers get first refusal on diary seeds

Subbies next 

And only a handful of standard members like myself get a chance.

This would be a double edged sword as it's another good reason for people to subscribe. So helpful for joolz/the site.

If folks are happy to put a hand in there pockets and pay a subscription it stands to reason they're unlikely to be the kind of shmuck who cadges freebies n fucks off without delivering.  

I'm not suggesting you totally exclude new members but at least keep the numbers to a minimum innit.

Just thinking out loud really

• Like 6

On 13/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, buddy13 said:

always be honest ..i show every fuck up ..and from what i show hopefully the better strains stand out ..this giving potential growers an idea in a small space what they will be like .some plants love a small space others fuckin hate you for it and the folk who test grow free seeds out for the companies that give em out ..not only feedback to other growers who have similar grow spaces  but to the actual company itself ..this part is two fold ...free advertising (or rather at small cost ie seeds and prizes ) and genuine grow data that is fed back to the breeders for those companies ..

so always be honest ..if a plants shit its shit ..but by showing that others can maybe point out its the enviroment ..or whether you did it all correct but the strain itself is weak ..or for example like the pot noodle comp highlighted bubbas gift as a difficult germinator ..its all good feedback for everyone .

• Like 7

On 10/15/2018 at 1:17 AM, samhigh said:

no disrespect, but you have to have a seed to get a plant to get a clone. seeds will always be valuable. with clones also you have to make sure your not getting any extras with them such as spider mites  etc..

sam 

@samhigh

Hi Sam,

Of course you need seeds to make plants, basic stuff matey. 

If for example you had let's say, a dozen nurseries buying a few seeds and mothering plants, then selling clones to the masses, you wouldn't sell as many seeds. The market would run from the nurseries not the seed bank. 

Of course like @Smokebelch said he prefers to buy seeds. This would probably turn into a niche 'connoisseur' market people who like to do there own thing will always exist, which is great! Freedom to buy seeds should always exist. :skin_up:

IMO once it becomes legal and commercially available, people will buy weed, and then clones, and buying seeds will probably be the smallest market share.  When it all becomes too commercial, which it probably will ATSP, maybe it will go full circle and people will go back to buying their own seeds !

I just enjoy it like most people do on here, and look forward to one day not being fecking drug tested at work!

I will add that it takes people like mark at HSO to keep the industry going, and I hope they all keep up the excellent work they are doing, and move with the times, as I am sure they will.....:george:

• Like 2