What's gone wrong with diaries this year?

HSO-Mark

Hello all :)

Just a quick thread for some feedback from the UK420 community  :yep:

When we started on UK420 with Dinafem around 7 years ago we had around a 20% rate of seeds for diaries. So out of every 20 packets given out only 4 woukd get grown :( not the best imo.

Now, when I took over in 2014 for Dinafem and this time last year we brought HSO to UK420. It took a bit buy I managed to get that

20% rate up to a more respectable 80-90%. Meaning out of 20 members around 16-18 were following through. To me this is way better than 20% and acceptable  :yep:

Now this year something has changed and I'm not sure what.

With the Humboldt outdoor thread we had over 50 members that got seeds. On my 15 followed through  :(

With the pot noodle challenge over 40 members. With only 15 actually taking part.

Dinafem new strains. 10 members per strain. 2-4 members following through. 

The same with dinafem outdoors. Other years we have had a good 35 grows going outdoor. This year it's around 12-15.

For some reason I'm just trying to figure out what's gone wrong?

What do we do in the future?

Do we do a blacklist? (I've always said yes to everyone) as a few members have taken part in every giveaway but never done a diary? 

Do we limit to members with diaries completed and have followed through in the past? But then how do we let new members/growers participate? 

Any thought from the community welcome :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
  • Like 27

Well I think it’s well out of order if you have been generous enough to post out seeds all the way from Spain for free and then you get nothing back.

Anyone who receives these test grow seeds could at least do small diary a couple of pages long, it wouldn’t take long.

I have to admit I am shocked to see how few people keep their end of the deal, do you mean you get absolutely no feedback at all from the 80%, if so then that is really shit dude, these people are just freeloaders and 100% you should black list them otherwise the seed company’s are not going give them out in the future which is not fair on those of us who do give the feedback you guys needs.

Sorry for ranting, this makes me quite sad.

Edited by Smokebelch
  • Like 30

This happens a lot.

A combination of greed and an unwillingness to post plants that don't look great if the grow has gone wrong contribute I'm sure.

• Like 13

Limit the seeds to members that have been on uk420 for at least a year and have run at least 3 complete diaries of there own stuff.

I know last year I was to do a diary but then things here went bad very quick with out warning my mother passing away with cancer and then my father in IC for months with blood poisoning and cancer. Rough year and I had to move house for a few months so diary was a no go. Still have a selection of seeds that was supplied and seeds I have purchased from Dinafem. Will do my next Dinafem diary in the Dinafem section better late than never. Current grow is a cab full of Dinafem Gorilla.

Toke...

• Like 3

Black list repeat offenders, only applicants with completed diaries. Named and shamed if they don’t get on with it (unless they’ve let you know why) 

It’s sad to hear. 

Edited by assault and battery
Changed naked to named
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, Smokebelch said:

do you mean you get absolutely no feedback st all from the 80%,

It was around that when I first started mate but I did get that up to 80-90% but this year that's fell of a cliff and down to around 40% :(

Need to change something for next year :)

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

Limit the seeds to members that have been on uk420 for at least a year and have run at least 3 complete diaries of there own stuff.

I know last year I was to do a diary but then things here went bad very quick with out warning my mother passing away with cancer and then my father in IC for months with blood poisoning and cancer. Rough year and I had to move house for a few months so diary was a no go. Still have a selection of seeds that was supplied and seeds I have purchased from Dinafem. Will do my next Dinafem diary in the Dinafem section better late than never. Current grow is a cab full of Dinafem Gorilla.

Toke...

Yes, but atleast you dropped me a pm and explained what was going on buddy :yep:

How could anyone expect you to run a diary with all that going on, that was not possible mate :yep:

This is not directed at any one member just pure curiosity and how to better things moving forward.

Seeds don't cost a great deal but that's not the point. I would still like to think there is a little honour left in the game. I know it's there as the numbers from previous year's support that. Just this year?

Kind regards 

Mark.

• Like 18

9 minutes ago, assault and battery said:

Black list repeat offenders, only applicants with completed diaries. Named and shamed if they don’t get on with it (unless they’ve let you know why) 

It’s sad to hear. 

Edited 5 minutes ago by assault and battery 
Changed naked to named

@assault and battery

uqncx.jpg

Edited by Jimboo
  • Like 15

Just give out seeds to those who have done diaries, in the past maybe?

And tell the persistant "takers of free beans" offenders to "do one"., and I don't mean a diary. 

These people who are taking seeds off you consistently and not doing diaries are taking the piss in my book.

if the breeder is generous enough to send them out- at their own expense remember, then the least receiver should do is a diary, even if its only updated once a week or so.

And do a smoke report.

or do a 2 strikes and you're out deal, like if they do nothing after 2 or 3 free seed send outs, don't send any more and tell them why, saying if they do a diary then they will be back on the list. 

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 11

I've been offered seeds in the past (from a breeder called "female seeds") but turned them down because a) I knew I couldn't fully commit to documenting the grow...and b)..quite sure I wouldn't grow to anything like the seeds' potential...anyone taking seeds and fucking off the provider with no feedback or giving even a token apology/explanation is just being an utter dick....you know who you are...don't do it..or I'll be phoning the Karma police..

Edited by Billy2Hats
  • Like 11

28 minutes ago, Cambium said:

Quite simple. You get one chance.

As Camb says, you get one chance!

@HSO-Mark Maybe start a giveaway thread for each batch of seeds so to speak and people should have to post a commitment in that thread to doing a diary and if they don't follow through, it's there to see who's letting the others down. Just a thought.

Either that or we go with @assault and battery 's "naked and shame" thing, I might just order seeds and not do them just to see :wassnnme:

:smoke:

• Like 8

if you want the seeds you have to prove your commitment by sending shameful nudes of yourself to Mark. 

I’m not helping much am I. 

• Like 6

I have to agree with the general consensus here.....You get one chance.....then blacklisted. (unless like tokenroll you have a real reason for not doing it...unforeseen circumstances etc).

New or old members - this is a business for the seed guys and taking - then not giving - is fraud !

I have never taken seeds from anyone......If I do then I will keep my end of the agreement.....If i didnt....I would expect not to be chosen again.

Just my 2 pence.

:yep:

• Like 10