Lemon Zkittle & Bubba Island Kush in the Night Garden

botanics

@autodog

Cheers bud, aye, the moon messes with my head when it's full see...the missus and I, if we argue or rub up against each other at all, is always a full moon...full on lunatics mate lol  I'll see the difference on this next round of sowing with these two strains, which will be on the weekend and keeps my perpetual cycle going.  Welcome to put up suggestions too in here bud, we all got out different tricks of the game picked up over the years :v: 

@Badbadger

Always that mind of yours is Badger going at a rate of knots ;) inventive, looking for solutions and fixes in true self reliance fashion which warms the heart mate continually.  Needs must and necessity being the mother of invention I know all too well and my finances (  lol 'non finances' )   are pretty much the same bud and it's hard going (the Skunk #1, I just pulled was in a mix that I've run eight times and two years old lol ). 

Certainly sounds like a bit of fun those little heaters though fair play and could be very useful in very tight spaces too thinking about it, my temps are usually tidy enough like because I've the heating on, however it dipped and caught me the other day... not too concerned about it tbh, will keep those tubs in mind though and thinking about it Badger...if it could be done with oil as a carrier for the heat with a brick in the middle to hold heat, you might be onto something there as an alternative to tube heaters and such like in those little awkward spaces :v: 

Thanks for popping in lads, early days in here yet but in a few weeks, hopefully we have some plants to photo and structure to them :yinyang:

• Like 2

Easy mate, hope you're well @botanics

Anyone who works or has worked in care or nursing will confirm that full moons are a funny time lol 

in my experience it's not just the moon that dictates the seed sprouting but it can certainly help or hinder, as in speed up or slow down. 

Planted 5/6 days befor new or full moon, and very often they're up and standing by the 5th. 

Not always though :doh: I find if I plant too near the full moon it misses it's chance and takes ages.. Till the next new moon cycle. 

Sure this is often whats happened when people think they've got duds.

I always plant straight into compost and leave. Can be hours, can be weeks. But they usually all show. 

Well worth finding/buying a biodynamic calendar if you want to follow it properly. 

Indoors I don't bother. Outdoors, I do :yep: 

Wet and dry cycle from the off mate. You shouldn't be having these prob's. 

All the best with it though dude :yep: 

Edited by the lone deranger
Pressed save to early
  • Like 2

Good to see the two of them looking perky, mate!

Such a pity about the others and its brought up some interesting thinking - @Badbadger that's such a cool idea!! :yep: Love the inventive spirit in this place!

The moon... its never crossed my mind, but of course, its part of our broader environment and there's no denying that stuff responds to it - anything with the capacity to pull the earths oceanic mass back and forth is certainly worth considering! You've made me think its worth keeping an eye on the sky the next time my beans flop - excuse any unintended idioms! :rofl:

With a bit of luck, the temps will pick up and get nice and stable... without a decent thermostat on my mini radiator, I'm constantly trying to second guess lights off temps - last while its been warmer during off than on!! :rofl:

Hope the #1 went down well on the weekend! That's some vintage medium you had that growing in - awesome bit of recycling!:v:

• Like 2

had a look at these the other day, but I stopped using DP around 2008 I think? more or less everything I had from them hermied. (blueberry, power plant, mazar) ive seen that this isn't much of a issue with them nowadays. is this accurate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lemonton said:

I had from them hermied. (blueberry, power plant, mazar) ive seen that this isn't much of a issue with them nowadays. is this accurate?

Last time I grew Dutch Passion seeds was around the '08 time too mate and I would run their White Widow (regular beans always though) a lot...excellent quality herb it was at that time, the plants were always good, uniform with their expression and produced very well indeed ( 4 x 2L pop bottle colas per plant in 5L pots and under 600 W Sodium).  I wouldn't deviate much for the Widow then as it was the bollocks tbh and nothing come close to it for me ;)

Nowadays however I don't know as I quit growing for a good few years until starting back a couple of years ago :yep:

• Like 2

@Slugums

The moon has a massive impact upon our lives mate and is something I'm taking much more interest in with regard to brain states and hormonal fluctuations not to mention the plants side of things :v:

@the lone deranger

I'm not worried about these in here now mate, they'll be fine now,, it's just when I initially plant the bean I need to consider the moon more it seems as I've observed this a few times over the last couple of years and it's happening when I plant around the full moon...other times i plant seeds, they come up quicker, are more vigorous and quicker to take off too ;)

It's fascinating stuff really but not good for smooth diaries....fuck vanilla though I suppose, there's other flavours to experience! :v:

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, botanics said:

Last time I grew Dutch Passion seeds was around the '08 time too mate and I would run their White Widow (regular beans always though) a lot...excellent quality herb it was at that time, the plants were always good, uniform with their expression and produced very well indeed ( 4 x 2L pop bottle colas per plant in 5L pots and under 600 W Sodium).  I wouldn't deviate much for the Widow then as it was the bollocks tbh and nothing come close to it for me ;)

Nowadays however I don't know as I quit growing for a good few years until starting back a couple of years ago :yep:

ah ok. yeah, to be fair they we're all fem. or was the mazar reg? I forget. too many years, and joints have passed since haha

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi there botanics,mind if I pull up a chair?

I planted my ten lemon Z’s about the same time as you and put them into flower about a week ago.

3 of the seeds didn’t root although roots showed,they didn’t /wouldn’t tap into the soil.

There doing ok in 20 litre pots but look a little stretchy.

long time since I’ve bothered with gems so it’s a risky grow for me.

looking forward to seeing if the hype is justified.

good luck with yours,will call in now and again to see how your getting along with them.

dd

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dirtdog said:

Hi there botanics,mind if I pull up a chair?

I planted my ten lemon Z’s about the same time as you and put them into flower about a week ago.

3 of the seeds didn’t root although roots showed,they didn’t /wouldn’t tap into the soil.

There doing ok in 20 litre pots but look a little stretchy.

long time since I’ve bothered with gems so it’s a risky grow for me.

looking forward to seeing if the hype is justified.

good luck with yours,will call in now and again to see how your getting along with them.

dd

I had exact same problem. I ordered 3 and ended up with just 1

• Like 1

@dirtdog

All are welcome mate :yep: 

Truth be told, I've abandoned this diary lately...had a load go on personally and when the cold weather came from Siberia, it hit them.

So, I took some time out for a bit, but have taken pics intermittently and have just put one of the original starters into bloom myself (Lemon Zkittle).  She almost died after the cold blast which added to totally locking out the Mg and N (in coco and no meters at the time for PH adjustment either). 

Subsequently, it meant that she wouldn't grow, had deep purple main stems and leaf petioles with pale yellow leaves lol  Bought meters though and nursed her around to a point where she come back for me and is now in a decent shape (potted into 7.5 L final of coco and trained canopy).  When i have less work on, as I'm flat out at the moment, I'll be updating once more and filling in on what's occurred throughout and also on the other lemon Zkittle I started afterwards.

That one has recently been put into her final pot (7.5) and is vegging her roots through and readying up to go into bloom with the other one.  The Bubba Island Kush didn't fair so well though, I do have the first one that came up, but she suffered even worse than the Zkittle with the cold and not coming around so well.  I've stuck at it with her and getting her to push out side shoots which I'll clone and see how they do, but is more of a personal learning endeavour now, in order to see how bad a plant can get and then what can be achieved afterwards. :v:

• Like 4

hey there botanics. the cold spell made mine yellow too mate.

stick with them as you say. i potted up my yellow bubba island kush into a 3.5l pot of soil. and she has greened back up a treat, a week into flowering now as you know from my diary. 

i have been spraying mine with seaweed extract and the odd feed of myco chum, and orca great white friendly fungi. 

i wanted to take a clone of my bubba island too, but i will reveg her if special. dptony said i would like them, so i should really clone her. :wallbash:

all the best for them bro, im sure you will have them looking kushty as per your usual pics mate. and hope we all get some zkittle skunk funk ,and fruity bubba buds.:smokin:

• Like 3

Update

Ok, so I've been meaning to get this diary back on track for ages but I'm right snowed under with loads of work on and it's difficult at the moment to find enough time :headpain:

Anyhow, some time ago we had a family bereavement and I lost interest in the plants tbh, my Caramels I finished off decent enough but they were just monkey work to get through the bloom and no bother.  However, these plants in here were just starting out and I was struggling with getting nutes into them as I didn't have meters at that time either.  On top of that, the cold came, family worries etc, meant that they almost died so I nursed them after buying some meters and getting the pH spot on.  Fortunately the Zkittle pulled through, fair play, but the Bubba Island Kush hasn't :( 

I took some pics after her coming around and being put into the final pot but the previous struggles can be seen with purple stems and what not and have taken a few as she went into and in the first week of bloom...she's now on her ninth day of 11/13 and under 250W of Metal Halide.  She's sensitive to feed however and I burned her a little earlier on but have got used to her a bit more now and she seems happy with an equal balance of Grow to Magnifical and Seaweed Extract (I've not used Velokelp for the last few days as the bottle run dry and using Maxicrop instead), with half of that on the Micro.  

She's been happy with 1.2 EC throughout the veg and still on grow nutes until I switch her over at three weeks bloom, however I increased to 1.3 EC on the last feed as she's picking up pace now.  I topped and trained the canopy to spread her low and wide and this Zkittle is a plant that would be great for scrog growers as she's responded lovely to it  ;)  (I will have to put supports in at some point in the future, will also tidy up the canopy and intend to defoliate this plant a tad in order to ensure I max out her light exposure as she's the only one in there at the moment.

However I did start another Zkittle and she'll be going in too in a couple of weeks...will update on that one soon :yep:

Pics time

large.5ad3707eafe8b_LemonZkittleveg001.jpglarge.5ad3707077bf7_LemonZkittleveg002.jpg

These first two above are after I managed to get her back into some shape and potted up into the final, which is a 7.5 L.

large.5ad370c23cbf3_LemonZkittleandSmileF2veg001.jpg

This photo is after she had rooted through a bit and training wires were attached to open her up in the centre

large.5ad37099cf497_LemonZkittleBloom-1stDay001.jpglarge.5ad3708c3783b_LemonZkittleBloom-1stDay002.jpg

These two above are on the first day of bloom and wires were adjusted in order to level the canopy

large.5ad370a779a96_LemonZkittleBloom5days004.jpglarge.5ad370b523546_LemonZkittleBloom5days003.jpg

After five days, the stretching is underway and she has responded to the LST by putting out plenty of new shoots from the side branches.

large.5ad370eab60e5_LemonZkittleBloom8daysandSmileF2Veg19Days002.jpg

I took this pic above on the seventh day of bloom and is taken without the flash.  A happy plant and responding very well to her conditions and feeds.

large.5ad370dd5774d_LemonZkittle8DaysBloom001.jpglarge.5ad370cfb2725_LemonZkittle8DaysBloom002.jpg

And these two above are the last photos I took of her at eight days, so we're right up to the present and she is spreading out into the cabinet so much I dunno whether I'll get the other one in, when it's time lol (will be ok hopefully).

I'll start trimming her undercanopy, a little at a time soon and get her ready for the flower show, but my intention is to try my utmost to keep her down as much as possible because the available height with these pots is proving hard work and I've singed a few buds on the last couple of grows and sure it's affecting the strength of my smoke too by burning off the terps.

Thanks for watching :v:

• Like 12