Wildlife on weed

Punta Roja

She was saying it so quietly so you would lean in closer, and then WHAM! she would have her pincers stuck in your tympanic membrane before you could say Labyrinthitis.. lol

• Like 2

excellent pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and one of the last photo's reminds me that i havn't seen an ear wig for ages.

• Like 1

I remember checking this thread out in October last year when I first stumbled upon uk420... I was blown away by the pics. Great thread, and now I am proud to add my own, from our "intruder alert" wind up... this little fella was taking a rest on the best seat in this particular woods!

gallery_78557_6088_35826.jpg

I think Gnome said it was a firebug or something?

• Like 8

20 ft from my plants today was this load of squigglers (Squiggelaria ickius).... :rofl:

gallery_62927_3328_133476.jpg

Funnily enough, I was wading through some nettles to get to a plot yesterday and nearly walked into a cluster of the exact same creatures. I'm a nature lover but I'll admit, it did make me recoil a bit. :D

Anyone know what they are exactly, what butterfly/moth do they turn into? I'd be really interested to know.

Edited by Guerrillero
  • Like 2

Some critters are more welcome than others...

Had to take a picture of that fellow, as he was hiding within the purple buds of the frisian dew a couple years back...

gallery_27825_5757_108023.jpg

• Like 11

I think Gnome said it was a firebug or something?

Think i've managed to ID it as a Rhagonycha translucida, otherwise known as a "Soldier beetle" or "Sailor beetle":

http://www.uksafari.com/soldierbeetles.htm

https://www.google.co.uk/search?bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48293060,d.d2k&biw=1755&bih=918&wrapid=tlif137207148364110&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=PSbIUeS-Fs3vOd7lgKAL&q=Rhagonycha%20translucida

Edited by zug

Yes Zug, that's the little intruder, nice one man! All these pictures in this topic are going in a special folder called 'Wildlife On Weed Creature ID', all good for future references, the Latin names go along way. It's amazing what we can find drawn to our herbs :smokin:

AustrianTokker, is that in UK?

I'd like to find the Latin name, looks like it's in the Cricket family, but which one, mmmm......

Edited by SubSpecies
  • Like 3

Cricket was in Austria, but not the one you see every day - actually never seen one like that before, hence the picture... Perhaps he was getting high and turning purple! :D

• Like 3

You love Cats don't you Res, she is giving you such a lovely look there, both plant and the cat :wub:

Its a boy mate. My neighbour only likes kittens so when they grow up she buys new ones and they move into my garden. I've built them all shelters.

• Like 4

Its a boy mate. My neighbour only likes kittens so when they grow up she buys new ones and they move into my garden. I've built them all shelters.

Fucking hell mate, cats not just for Christmas and all that springs to mind, your winding me up?

My neighbour only likes kittens so when they grow up she buys new ones and they move into my garden.

That's fucking mental! Or is she mental?

"Felix, I no longer like you - fuck off next door, I'm not feeding you anymore, ya c*nt"

Edited by zug
  • Like 1