Wildlife on weed

Punta Roja

You could be right, but I think it looks just like any old ladybird I've ever seen.

Does anyone on here remember '76?

Bad year to be an aphid, I remember pavements so covered in squished ladybirds that they where stained red, I remember it being bloody hot as well

Edited by groovelick
  • Like 2

Bad year to be an aphid, I remember pavements so covered in squished ladybirds that they where stained red, I remember it being bloody hot as well

Au contraire Groove, the reason for the plague of Ladybirds was the abundance of aphids, it was a good year for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Having trouble getting my camera to focus on the subject but here's the best pic I could get. He/she was very wary of me and kept moving away with his lunch which was a black greenfly thingy

gallery_79920_6391_62941.jpg

and an old photo of some wildlife you don't want on your weed

gallery_79920_6391_6940.jpg

• Like 4

You could be right, but I think it looks just like any old ladybird I've ever seen.

Does anyone on here remember '76?

oh yes, red hot summer, proper droughts and ladybirds everywhere(better than ladyboys I suppose, lol).

95 was pretty full on for labybirds too. :smokin:

• Like 1

Love this thread :wink:

I came across what i think may be Panorpa communis 'Scorpion Fly'.

Quite a nasty looking thing and was about 1 inch long, but apparently its harmless....

med_gallery_79495_6264_34747.jpg

• Like 15

Guest RandyBoBandy

it is! never seen one before, i just typed the name in google and realised i had the black and red version land on me alot, would have prolly freaked out a bit more if id known they looked like that close up

awesome pic!

• Like 2

Bless, im glad you are enlightened :wink: I think it is a male as it has two pincers on end of it's tail, there was two of them on my plant and they mate at night, i nearly got a pic of the female but she sadly flew off. Im goin for a visit tonight, it's always exciting to wonder what the next creature encounter will be :yinyang:

• Like 1

Quite a nasty looking thing

He looks quite charming with a hat and monocle.

gallery_57119_4209_55366.jpg

Edited by resinous palms
  • Like 22

Haha nice one RP! Well i guess he could be quite charming, he nearly scored himself a hunny that night too, but i think i got in way and she was camera shy :blushing::headpain:

Im sure they linked up later though :wub:

With that hat & glasses he looks like that little monster in a film that sings 'New York New York' as it walks across the bar before dashing off down a hatch..... what film was that man?? Running man? Alien? Enemy Mine? I can't remember now :wassnnme:

Edited by SubSpecies
  • Like 1

Not exactly ON weed,but certainly within 20 feet of some plants,saw these two earlier,south facing bank,old railway embankement,snake-magnet,I saw four different reptiles,when the plants are a respectable size I will get some grass-snakes on grass shots :yinyang:

gallery_44344_4738_43952.jpg

• Like 12

Forficula auricularia 'Common Female Earwig'

A stoned story....

Very late at night when i caught her trying to steal resin glands from my ripe Auto Bubbleicious she froze and whispered to me that her name was 'Eerie' :eek: , but it's ok, we ended up friends as we discussed matters, the deal was i was prepaired to forgive her for eating tiny bits of my plants if she did because she was helping me by mostly eating small pests and their eggs including aphids, i warned her not to eat any more Bubble and she agreed, so we knocked fists in respect, smoked a joint, shared a can of beer, chatted some more shit and went about our business. But im gonna keep an eye on her, i never trust an earwig that whispers her name at me!

med_gallery_79495_6264_5127.jpg

• Like 5