Dot's Sweet Brew

dotcotton

Godspeed, Thank you for the kind words, nice of you stop by and comment. Your plants are looking lovely, really wishing I had some Cream Caramel in there.

personally if there are nodes waiting to fill a space with a fan covering, id chop the leaf off.

I've taken a closer look at some of the offending fan leaves and noticed that they usually have a shoot attached at the base. Won't popping the fan leaf off take the shoot with it?

So what is the official line on scrog pruning, yay or nay? Guess I've got more reading to do :)

Dot :hippy:

I try to never pull the fan leaf off Dot. If you want to remove it then use a pair of scissors and cut about an inch away from where the leaf joins the stalk. Can't answer about the Scrog as I am a virgin for now.

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 1

The way I see it, tomorrow or Friday I'll be trimming my plants down and healthy or not.. Two thirds of the plant will go, however, your method is the exact opposite, your plants need energy supplying EVERY bud site meaning it needs energy from the top to the bottom of the plant, seeing as there's a leaf under every node that would tell me (and this is just me) that the leaves feed the buds? Again just based on what I've gathered so far I think that makes sense :yep:

I would just move it out the way mate lol

CK :mashed:

• Like 1

Nicely CK,

That sounds perfectly logical to me and that's how I rationalised it before asking, just needed some confirmation. I'll do a bit more reading to see the pros and cons of each school of thought, and report back if I find anything of interest.

Many thanks,

Would you be able to train the budsites up, and when big enough, place the leaf below them but still above the net. (If you get what I mean.)

Be interested how you go Dot. Is this your first attempt at Scrogging?

Cheers

• Like 1

Heya Hiphip,

This is my first attempt at growing altogether :headpain:

The method that you have suggested is basically what I'm doing and seems to be working fine with the SAD and J47, but the blackjacks are incredibly bushy, there are fan leaves everywhere :spliff:

This being my first attempt, I think it's best just keep on top of things and tuck the leaves where possible.

One thought I had is that the smothering fan leaves might be a good thing. As in, the shaded bud sites will be encouraged to reach for the net a little faster in order to compete for the light. Does that make sense?

Heya Hiphip,

This is my first attempt at growing altogether :headpain:

The method that you have suggested is basically what I'm doing and seems to be working fine with the SAD and J47, but the blackjacks are incredibly bushy, there are fan leaves everywhere :spliff:

This being my first attempt, I think it's best just keep on top of things and tuck the leaves where possible.

One thought I had is that the smothering fan leaves might be a good thing. As in, the shaded bud sites will be encouraged to reach for the net a little faster in order to compete for the light. Does that make sense?

Wow. First attempt. OK.

DO NOT PANIC. Think of the big leaves as sugar factories. The more surface area that gets light the better the resin production. However, if there are to many then humidity will rise causing concerns of a different kind. If you feel the need to remove some of the bigger ones then cut them. The plant will be fine. DO NOT PANIC.

There's a whole load of very experienced growers on these boards so keep asking and you will have the answers. Stay safe and secure and get ready for the ride.

All the best of luck Dot.

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 1

Wow. First attempt. OK.

DO NOT PANIC.

Making me panic now lol

But seriously, thanks a lot, that makes good sense. I've been keeping a close eye on humidity and will probably be seeking a solution in a few weeks once in flower.

Edited by dotcotton

Update 6th March 2012

It has been a week since my last update and I believe that we have finally reached the last day of veg. The net has filled fast and by my rough estimation has now reached the 70% target.

There have been issues with the Wilma delivering enough feed and water to the plants. The Black Jacks started to develop dry, lifeless leaves and branches, coupled with slowed down growth. This has hopefully been resolved now with a 60 min on/15 min off schedule.

Current EC 1.2

Some pics...

Scrog before training

gallery_69140_4098_59488.jpg

Scrog after training

gallery_69140_4098_270346.jpg

BJ#1 61 days from seed

BJ#1 is doing better now, growth had really slowed down and the leaves were twisting and almost brittle to the touch for a few days. I'm worried it may be getting root bound (I don't know if this is possible in hydro?) It certainly has more roots than pot space, judging by the wads of roots appearing from the base of the pot.

gallery_69140_4098_146971.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_18549.jpg

BJ#2 61 days from seed

Pretty much the same story as her bigger sister, but picked up and doing well now.

gallery_69140_4098_303070.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_48519.jpg

SAD 61 days from seed

SAD is doing great, it has almost overtaken the previous front runner BJ#1 ad at the moment she seems unstoppable. Also shooting out wads of roots into the Wilma table.

gallery_69140_4098_27844.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_38296.jpg

J47 82 days from seed

J47 is coming along nicely, certainly the petite lady amongst the heffas. I'm not expecting much yield from her, but it would be nice to sample the strain anyway. Some roots are protruding out of the bottom but not very much.

gallery_69140_4098_231069.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_82715.jpg

Thanks for looking, as always, all comments/observations/advice very welcome.

Next up some flowering questions...

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 4

I am concerned that the long veg may cause issues with the seemingly crowded root zone. Drainage apeears to be suffering a little and I am worried that the pots might be getting water logged (see pics). Would anyone recommend some cautionary measures such as H202 or enzyme supplements?

gallery_69140_4098_149547.jpgRoot growth, SAD (front) and J47 (back)

Also, some advice on how to make the flip to 12/12 would be great, I have read that I should change the nutrient solution to a 50/50 grow and bloom mix for the first three weeks. Is this correct? Anything else to note?

I'm popping down to the hydro store in a few days to pick up some Ionic Boost PK 13/14, any other recommended additives/nutes for the flowering stage that I should get while I'm there? All I have at the moment is Grow, Bloom and planning to get some Boost.

Many thanks,

Dot

Edited by dotcotton

Dot's Switched the Tea Leaves

Day 1 Flower

The girls have had their first 12 hour sleep and they appear to be in really good spirits. Temps didn't drop below 19C and humidity maxed at 58%, so I'm pretty pleased with that for now.

They are on 12 hours feed during lights on and EC seems happy at just under 1.2.

I only updated yesterday, so there's not much more to say. I took some lazy flash photos with lights on, so apologies if they're less than decent.

gallery_69140_4098_279462.jpgGroup Shot. Clockwise from bottom left, J47, BJ#1, BJ#2, SAD

gallery_69140_4098_317087.jpgJack 47

gallery_69140_4098_275183.jpgBlack Jack #1

gallery_69140_4098_257054.jpgBlack Jack #2

gallery_69140_4098_292086.jpgSAD

gallery_69140_4098_16002.jpgRogue SAD root

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 3

Hey Dot buddy :yep:

Gotta love that root gunning for the main source :rofl:

12/12 eh.. It's gonna get busy now mate, reckon ya can fill that net?

They certainly seem to be enjoying themselves now

Just a quick one mate, what size is the net 1msq?

ATB

CK :smokin:

• Like 1

Alright CK,

Good to hear from you mate.

I'm a little worried that I've over vegged actually, which I've heard can be counter productive in a scrog. Everyone keeps saying to expect them to double or even tripple during stretch. If true, I don't know where they'd go :wassnnme:

The net is 1.2 sqm, planning a Scrog yourself?

• Like 1