Dot's Sweet Brew

dotcotton

SAD - 41 days from seed

SAD is making a good recovery and is only a little ahead of BJ#2, leaves are looking good and healthy and she also appears to have at least two healthy tops following topping.

gallery_69140_4098_209564.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_170025.jpg

• Like 1

J47 - 62 days from seed

Finally, we have J47, she is looking pretty dire. Lanky and bare with very small leaves compared to the others and she ony seems to be growing up with very little branching out. She is also developing dead spots along the leaves (see pic). Any thoughts on this one? Anything that can be done to get her into shape for flowering?

gallery_69140_4098_297468.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_9693.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_137590.jpg

• Like 1

Just stopping by to wish you all the best dotcotton, i know nothing of hydro but they look fine now. :yinyang:

Amnesia, thank you for stopping by. I'm thining of switching to soil for my next grow, seems to be a lot more experience on the forums with it and appears to be less problematic. Best of luck to you too.

Dot

Edited by dotcotton

Why not go down the COCO route Dot? A lo easier than is generally thought.

Cheers :smokin:

Hi hip hip,

Also considering coco as people seem to think highly of it here. One of the main reasons I didn't go for soil was due to the security risk posed by disposal of the waste (I didn't realise at the time that I would also have to dispose of clay pebbles at some point). I guess that unless I use an aeroponics/DWC system, waste disposal will always be an issue.

Hey DC, hows tricks, great diary fella, I've just switched to coco as you know and it is much better than soil but as I understand it Hydro is the next level to anything else, I've seen some MONSTERS grown in Hydro, stick at it mate, perfect practise makes perfect plants :yep: teething problems is all!

They look a damn sight better than my first lot... Homebase compost with tomorite :headpain:

I'll take a seat at the back mate

CK :oldtoker:

• Like 1

Thanks for stopping by CK,

I thought Coco was hydro...

Yeah they've really picked up since the last update, although the J47 is still looking spindly, hope someone comes along with some suggestions soon.

Will update in a few days anyway.

Chat soon mate,

Dot :hippy:

• Like 1

Update 23rd February 2012

A quick update today.

Everything seems to be coming along nicely, all plants have responded well to FIM apart from J47 which didn't respond at all, more on that later.

The environtment is still good at 19C min and 28C max.

EC seems to have levelled off at 1.1

Training

I want to gain the best efficiency out of my space and set up, I really need some guidance on what to do next.

Is more training necessary, if so what would you recommend?

Advisable to FIM again?

If scrogging, how much longer veg time to fill scrog net?

Plants seem too short to scrog, how will this work?

Group Shot

gallery_69140_4098_63104.jpg

BJ#1 49 days from seed

Bj#1 is really unstoppable, she is growing bigger, harder and meaner than any of the other plants. She responded really well to FIM and is covered in tops, a rough count indicates about nine strong tops. Wads of roots are bursting out of the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot.

Is she looking healthy? Seems to me like the leaves are displaying some signs of heat stress.

gallery_69140_4098_232096.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_205402.jpg

BJ#2 49 days from seed

BJ#2 looking good, running closely behind the SAD. Roots are emerging out of the drainage holes. leaves are look a little light in places and possibly some signs of heat stress.

gallery_69140_4098_298589.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_368678.jpg

SAD 49 days from seed

SAD is looking great, also responded well to FIM. Roots emerging out of the drainage holes. One concern is the odd leaf deformation here and there(see pic). Any ideas what this might indicate?

gallery_69140_4098_191163.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_190673.jpg

J47 70 days from seed

And finally J47, she has developed some bigger fan leaves in the past few days but otherwise, not looking too hot. Leaves are looking yellow compared to the other plants, she didn't seem to take any notice of FIM and is continuing to grow tall and skinny. No sign of roots at drainage holes yet. I have FIMed her again in case I did it wrong the first time, waiting to see how she takes it. Any comments on this one?

gallery_69140_4098_67919.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_118062.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_234625.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_303531.jpg

As always, all advice/comments are welcome and any guidance on my next step would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Hi DC great pics, may I suggest something tho... they look cold mate, my reason is that I've just had the same problem, purple stems, yellow and turned down leaves are all classic signs, where are ya taking ya temps from ie where in the groom, floor etc?

They deffo look bigger tho mate :)

p.s. tell me to shut up if I'm a mile off fella :wassnnme:

ATB

CK :king:

Thanks for stopping by CK.

I have the hygrometer placed on the resevoir lip to keep it shaded, and I place the probe a few inches into the hydroton to get a rough root temp, if you look at last week's update you can see where I keep it in the group shot.Readings are always 19C-28C. Also, the res temp is usually 21-25C when I check it.

Anything more I can do to investigate the temps you think?

Sounds good to me buddy, it must be a feed problem then mate... Hydro however :unsure: I'm clueless mate sorry, it's just they look exactly how mine did when I had "nute lockout" due to the roots being cold, maybe try and find out if there are any more reasons a plant would lockout nutes :unsure:

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I'm sure you'll nail it mate, they are VERY hardy plants canna :yep:

CK :king:

• Like 1

Update 25th February 2012

Another quick update today.

All plants are thriving and making good progress, including J47. J47 seems to have made a good recovery since I last topped up the res and moved the drippers. Seems to me that the Wilma requires careful placement of the drippers whilst the root ball is developing, otherwise the plants won't get enough water.

The plants are drinking somewhere in the region of 20-30 litres every 2 days or so and the EC seems levelled at 1.1.

Dot's Knitting Experiment - The Scrog

I was concerned about going into flower with an uneven canopy, so despite the long veg time so far, I picked up some climbing plant support @ 1.99 a meter yesterday and hope to scrog for a nother week or so.

Any scroggers about? I'm a little confused by something, should I be weaving the plant into the net or should I just keep everything growing outwards underneath it?

I'm probably going to go anther week or so veg and see how much of the net I can fill in that time, would be great to have some scroggers on board :)

Anyway, next update in a week or so.

ATB

Group shot - Clockwise from bottom left - J47, SAD, BJ#1, BJ#2

gallery_69140_4098_97637.jpg

J47 & SAD

gallery_69140_4098_296759.jpg

BJ#2 & BJ#1

gallery_69140_4098_19055.jpg

Underneath - J47

gallery_69140_4098_24561.jpg

Underneath - BJ#1

gallery_69140_4098_371794.jpg

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 5

Ska, welcome aboard, best of luck to you too, some beautiful plants in your diary.

Hey CK, good to hear from you mate and congrats on the poison twins, looking forward to seeing them grow.

I'm going to see how much the screen fills out in a week's time and take it from there. If it looks like I'll still be waiting a long while, I might just switch. Seems like I've been vegging forever and I'm getting a little impatient now. Do you think it'll take much longer to fill the screen?