Dot's Sweet Brew

dotcotton

NMA, thanks mate.

Sadam, thought that might have been it, I'll set the timer to 15mins every hour and move the drippers.

Thanks, .

• Like 1

Dodgee, Thanks for dropping in, I hope Saddam's tip solves the problem.

I topped up the res last night by pouring through the pots, plants have certainly moved since then so it looks like the slow growth has something to do with feeding.

• Like 1

Just a quick update.

Since moving the drippers and increasing the watering times, the plants appear to be doing really well. They're still looking a little pale but I won't up the feed until I see the EC start to drop.

Only concern at the moment is that the Rockwool seems pretty saturated, hope this won't lead to any problems.

Oh yeh, I also topped all of them today using FIM technique. No idea what I was doing, hope I did it right :wassnnme:

Assuming all goes well, will update in a few days with pics.

Dot :hippy:

Edited by dotcotton

I think you should've waited a while before topping them m8, they looked too weak and small from your pictures imo. If your worried about soggy rockwool then you can either move the hose a little further away and try and aim the drippers at the roots or set the watering to 15 mins every 2 hours. I know it seems like a lot of hassle right now but you just need to find your systems 'happy place'. Once your plants and more importantly the roots get bigger, they'll start sucking up the juice. Any problems or worries, just send me a pm. lol

Good luck Dot, I'm sure they'll take off soon.

Saddam

• Like 2

Ahh, rushing into things :wallbash: I think my patience is wearing thin.

Thanks for the kind offer Saddam, might have to take you up on that at some point.

Dot

• Like 1

No problems Dot, anything to help. Don't be afraid to ask before you rush into something you might regret. Too much grower intervention is a common mistake, people panic when they see a yellow leaf and try to correct a deficiency that's not there. It's a weed and will grow like crazy in the right environment. Just sit back, chill and enjoy watching them grow.

Anytime m8, I'm always about. lol

Saddam

• Like 5

No problems Dot, anything to help. Don't be afraid to ask before you rush into something you might regret. Too much grower intervention is a common mistake, people panic when they see a yellow leaf and try to correct a deficiency that's not there. It's a weed and will grow like crazy in the right environment. Just sit back, chill and enjoy watching them grow.

Anytime m8, I'm always about. lol

Saddam

Well said Saddam.

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 1

Update 15th February 2012

Since taking on Saddam's advice to up the watering schedule and point the drippers at the root zone, there has been a marked improvement in growth on all plants. My first attempt at topping seems to have been successfull with all apart from the J47.

I commenced with a res change yesterday so took it as an opportunity to get some decent images.

Is the res change meant to be very labour intensive? There must be an easier, quicker way of changing the res, all suggestions welcome.

Upon res change the EC had climbed from 0.9 to 1.3 and the PH from 5.5 to 6.1. Considering that my tap water's background EC is 0.73 (only added EC 0.17 Ionic Hydro grow) I can not understand why the plants are taking up water but very little nutes. Eitherway, they seemed to be enjoying it with no signs of nute burn, so I upped the starting EC to 1.0 this time.

I am planning to Scrog, so I would appreciate some advice on when to start this and how much longer I have before I can flip to 12/12, also any observations/comments from the pics would be great.

gallery_69140_4098_170783.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_99615.jpg

Individual plant update to follow...

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 1

BJ#1 - 41 days from seed

Here we have BJ#1 doing really well. She seems to have developed four tops from FIM'ing her last week, although she is growing so vigorously, I cannot make head nor tales of her. She is showing some slight signs of heat stress with the upturned teeth on the leaves but it doesn't seem to be upsetting her too much, should I be more concerned about this?

P.S. Had a look at the bottom of the pot to find masses of roots poking out of the drain holes, looks like it might even block them given a little time, anything to worry about here? Only BJ#1 is displaying roots out of the bottom so far.

gallery_69140_4098_339320.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_199803.jpg

e2a - root info

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 1

BJ#2 - 41 Days from seed

Again making a good recovery and showing at least two tops following topping. Leaves do look a little lighter compared to the others, not sure what this is a sign of.

gallery_69140_4098_75419.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_47641.jpg

e2a - spelling

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 1