Dot's Sweet Brew

dotcotton

I've never done one before Dot but watching others diarys they fill out quick, then you have the stretch when you flip them which takes ya by surprise, they really do get a shift on for a good two to three weeks so from what I've seen most peeps seem to fill around 70% of the net then let the stretch fill up the rest, don't rush flipping them mate, it's all about the FINAL result, like you say give it a week see how they get on?

I always look at it like building foundations, whenever ya see something being built it seems to take forever then all of a sudden theres a building there, I look at vegging in the same light, Lay everything out properly first as once you flip thats it, theres not much ya can do once they start flowering :skin_up:

Fill it dude, right to the edges, the aim is... bud site in each net hole = happy days :smokin:

I know this may sound a little patronising as I've never actually done one but I've seen plenty and I will get one done someday :wassnnme:

Heres the best one I've seen so far SCROG

Good things come to those who wait Dot and I'm sure your attention to detail will see a full net of frosty goodness :king:

ATB mate

CK :oldtoker:

• Like 2

Nice post CK, some wise words there man, thanks for taking the time.

I see from that diary that it only took TCC about 10 days scrogging to fill up his net before flipping.

Tell me something, have you ever noticed beads of water forming on your leaves? I've seen it here and there on the odd leaf and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it is. Could be humidity, but my hygrometer is reading 45%, other thing it could be is some splash back from topping up the res through the pots. Anyway, not too worried so no biggie if you don't know.

Chat soon mate,

Dot :hippy:

Hey Dot :yep:

Your question about water on the leaves.. The only thing I can think is some kind of moisture either from leaves resting on each other or no ventilation lights off causing dew?

That probs doesn't help but that's all I would think?

They look good tho mate so don't worry :yep:

• Like 1

Many thanks CK, really appreciate you taking the time mate. :yep:

I think you're spot on, it is dew from the leaves overlapping. Can this cause any problems such as mould? Should I look into a solution of some sorts?

Cheers,

• Like 1

Nice post CK, some wise words there man, thanks for taking the time.

I see from that diary that it only took TCC about 10 days scrogging to fill up his net before flipping.

Tell me something, have you ever noticed beads of water forming on your leaves? I've seen it here and there on the odd leaf and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it is. Could be humidity, but my hygrometer is reading 45%, other thing it could be is some splash back from topping up the res through the pots. Anyway, not too worried so no biggie if you don't know.

Chat soon mate,

Alright Mate,

Good read so far this diary, looks like your getting the hang of the Wilma thingies.

Just thought I'd confirm what CK is telling ya, when you flip to 12/12, depending on the genetics of your girls, they can stretch like crazy. Some of mine have stretched by up to 18" in only 2 weeks since I flipped. Also, and again in agreement with CK (knowledgable fella) you want to guide each shot into its own hole in the net. I do this by moving a branch thru a hole, and then 2 days later, moving it into the next hole away from the main stem, so basically your spreading out the branches underneath the net. You want to continue doing this until about 2 weeks into flowering, and hopefully by then the stretching will have finished, and they'll all start growing uniformly towards the light, thus all the bud-sites will get equal light i.e. a uniform canopy (the mecca of scroggers everywhere :guitar: )

Reading TCC's diary, he spent 5 weeks vegging before he started the diary, plus the time during the diary, so I think all in all he vegged for about 9-10 weeks, then he'll have trained the branches for about 2-3 weeks during 12/12 I reckon. I'm not sure how long you've been vegging, but I personally would look for about 7-10 weeks worth to make sure the net is approx 70% full come flipping time. (From my own personal experience, I use a scrog over an Amazon, and I veg for about 7-8 weeks, but the girls grow mental in the Amazon, so I can cut out a week or 2 of veg, and nets are still usually full)

After about 1 1/2 weeks into 12/12, trim everything that is underneath the net, which will include both leaves and branches that arent long enough to reach the net. Again, reading a few other 'scrog' diaries will give you an idea of how much gets trimmed. This has 2 benefits, firstly it means the the plant will concentrate all its energy into the buds that are above net level, thus reducing air bud, and hopefully making the 'topside' buds fatter, and secondly it allows for air circulation underneath the net. This is crucial to avoiding bud-rot. I would highly recommend having a fan purely for blowing air about under the net, and one for above. As you have loads of branches tightly packed together, rot can set in very quickly, and it can be almost impossible to spot, as can mildew, and believe me its so much easier preventing it than trying to treat it.

And last but not least, dont worry too much about trying to get the E.C high. Even tho I use an Amazon, its a recirculation system (like the Wilma's), and in my grows, the E.C has never gone above 1.0. I know this sounds low, but because you are drenching the roots every 15 minutes, they are getting plenty of nutes/water/oxygen. I would recommend using the Lucas formula for your nutes in the res, its foolproof and has been tested by many a grower with great results, but if you have your own nute schedule, just remember that its better to have the girls a wee bit hungry than getting overfed and nute lockout.

Anyway mate, I'm waffling now, so good luck with everything, you're doing a damn fine job so far.

And remember the most important thing. There's loads of experts on this site, so if you need advice or whatever, just check out some of the other diaries, as I'm sure there wont have been a problem someone hasnt encountered and sorted. Believe me, the guys on here can be your best friends :yahoo:

• Like 5

Hi Warwick,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make this quality post. The community here at UK420 has been outstanding! I honestly cannot conjure up the words to express my gratitude for the friendly and knowledgeable support I have received so far.

Great to have you on board and once again, a very big thank you.

ATB,

• Like 2

Update 29th February 2012

A quick update today.

All plants are doing very well, some of them were showing signs of poor health, but this seems to have resolved itself since the last res top up. I think the problem has something to do with my cheapo PH pen from fleabay. I don't trust it and I reckon it's giving me dodgy PH readings.

Anyone recommend a decent PH meter that won't break the bank?

Tent humidity is rising, currently averaging at around 52% lights on, up form 42%. Not sure if this is due to warmer temps or the scrog net.

I moved the fans today as the plants were growing into them, hope this won't cause any heat/circulation problems.

Comparing pictures from four days ago, I am quite surprised at how quickly the net has filled up. My guesstimation is that the net is about 50% full and I should reach my target of 70% within the next week.

Now for some pics. I've swapped the J47 with the SAD to help fill the net more evenly.

Scrog 24th February

gallery_69140_4098_97637.jpg

Scrog four days later 29th February:

Before training

gallery_69140_4098_112517.jpg

After training

gallery_69140_4098_87912.jpg

BJ#1 55 days from seed

All looking good here as usual.

gallery_69140_4098_8865.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_200988.jpg

BJ#2 55 days from seed

Again growing very nice and strong with lots of tops.

gallery_69140_4098_92415.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_271705.jpg

SAD 55 days from seed

Also doing great.

gallery_69140_4098_174742.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_210471.jpg

J47 76 Days from Seed

J47 is really coming into her own now. I think the scrog net was the best thing I could have done for her. Still displaying purple stems but I can't figure out the problem, perhaps it's just genetics? Would be interested to know.

gallery_69140_4098_52260.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_138708.jpg

Thanks for taking a look, as always any questions/comments/suggestions are very welcome.

Next up a quick scrog maintenance question...

What I have found is that the plant gets very congested and squished under the net. This results in fan leaves smothering new shoots (see pic).

I know that I'm supposed to be doing a great deal of trimming during flower but my question is...

Should I be trimming back these fan leaves yet or will the shoots find their way?

gallery_69140_4098_222893.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_118259.jpg

• Like 2

:hippy::smokin:SWEET BREW :smokin::hippy:

Very nice mate, they are growing fast now and that net will be full in no time :yahoo:

Keep up the good work Dot :yep:

Eta: Just push it under the net mate... It won't matter till they are flowering anyhoo :yep:

Edited by CannabisKing
  • Like 1

Looking good Dot. My 3 of J47 are purple also.

Cheers :smokin:

Thanks for clearing this up for me Hiphip. I think the purple is quite pretty actually, glad it's not a deficiency of any sorts.

:hippy::smokin:SWEET BREW :smokin::hippy:

Very nice mate, they are growing fast now and that net will be full in no time :yahoo:

Keep up the good work Dot :yep:

Eta: Just push it under the net mate... It won't matter till they are flowering anyhoo :yep:

Haha, thanks CK :)

All good on your end?

All is well in the Treehouse fella, that's why theres been no updates for a couple of days cos theres nowt to tell folk about :wassnnme:

They just doin their thang and putting a big smile on me dial :)

Went up and shared a J with them this afternoon, just sat in there with the door shut :skin_up::stoned:

On we grow Dot :yep:

• Like 1