Serpents guide to growing autos in soil

Serpent

I have never understood how people got the impression they are any different to a photo in any way other than they don't need a light trigger.

Literally the only difference is you've only got a few weeks veg. Treat it as if your flipping the lights at week 3.

You wouldn't pot up after you had flipped and you want them in there finals for a couple weeks to root out before you flip......standard cannabis growing just fast forward

• Like 7

Great guide a lot of useful information and the good thing is you use the same tent and light I'll be purchasing in the future so it gives me a good heads up on what to expect yield wise. How many plants do you fit in your tent @@Serpent? Around 4 I am guissi g with 1-2 oz each?

2 weeks in small pots potted up to 8.5L pots with mycorrhizal fungi under 1000w hps in a hydro system has given me monsters 4-5ft from top of the pot some of them, iv had to lolly pop the bitches there so big I'm treating them like photperiods now,... lol

Totally missed this mate.

Those two weeks in small pots hasn't slowed them down by the sounds of things. Hopefully yours will stop stretching soon I was thinking about em earlier lol yeah mental growers them white widow autos. I hope they deliver the goods for you mate.

Mine are shooting along now they've filled the tent nicely, in fact it's bursting lol if they get any bigger I'll take a few smaller ones out to make room for the best ones.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hi serpent I've got some some super skunk autos cracked them and got them in there starter pots a few days ago still no show on the window sill during the day and airing cupboard wrapped in a sandwich bag at night.

Just bagged myself a kit with everything I need it came with clay pebbles just wondered can I transfer them into the clay pebbles when they decide to show themselves or have I got to continue with soil til harvest???

• 1 month later...

@Serpent just came across this thread on auto's that I know nothing about. You have wrote a clear a accuracy account of these babies, clear & simply.

I'm also incline to agree with what blackpoolbonser  says  similar way to photo period plants but I'm only still learning the game  :yep:

Treat it as if your flipping the lights at week 3.

You wouldn't pot up after you had flipped and you want them in there finals for a couple weeks to root out before you flip......standard cannabis growing just fast forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, new to the forum and growing. This guide has been perfect for my research. Thanks Serpent. I have a 40x40x140 tent as space is too tight to mention! Saying that, I have run the 4 inch fan and Rhino carbon filter on the outside of the tent and fit three 8l grow bags in there. The tent is from Mammouth and seems decent quality with no light leakage. Sturdy frame a small monkey could hang off if he was lost. I could squeeze four 8l pots in but as I buy my seeds in three's and its my first go I'll keep to three. I also want a little space to move things aroundI've got Dutch Passion Blueberry Auto in the post and my tent is set up and ready to go. All this is with a clip on fan inside and a 4 inch computer fan for intake, under a Mars Hydro 300 LED. This LED is not ideal for flowering apparently (not enough red light?) but I'm gonna give it a go anyway in case I'm reading too deep into it all. I could always add a flowering red LED in later weeks?

The local grow shop have been helpful and sold me some BioBizz Lightmix plus Formulex and Nitrozyme nutrients which I will start to feed after a couple of weeks. 

I also have an outdoors plot in very south UK (50 N Lat) so I'm gonna put about six outdoor seeds in the tent first for a couple weeks, in small bio pots. Then I'll plant them in the great outdoors mid May, so the timing is good for an October harvest there. After that I'll get on with the autos and let you all know my mistakes / findings / results. Pics to follow, just wasting time at work now dreaming of being a ganja farmer in the tropics, gotta start somewhere!

If I've said anything stupid please let me know so I can fix it before it bites me.

Mind how you grow :)

• Like 1

Quick question or two... after I germinate in a glass of water, could I put them in Vitapots (biodegradable 8cm) then plant out into my biomix in the 8l pouch? I guess the question is, are seedling roots strong enough to penetrate through those pots as other plants are? I am sensing its a sensitive plant! 

Also, when germinating in a glass of water do you get it to room temp first and check the PH? Tempted to use cotton wool pads but I don't want to stray too far off of this great guide vitapot_8cm_sq_12.jpg

I was wondering exactly the same thing. Just found this on the Vitax site:

Made from a blend of organic wood fibre, blond sphagnum peat and starch with a small amount of balanced seed fertiliser. Delicate rooted plants grow easily into the soft pot. The pots are planted with the plant to avoid root disturbance and any growth check. Vitapot peat pots can be used with potting and planting machines.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

@flash_cannon

Nowt "sensitive" about cannabis at all my friend! :rofl: She's a WEED, and very hard to kill off! I don't bother with any of the modern softly-softly approach to growing. Just drop seeds straight into wee pot of potting compost, bit of water, place under light (even a 600W HPS sometimes) and bob's yer lobster's auntie!

Such a sensitive plant.....!

large.1-DSC01801.jpg.07fb491fac1b24b3b8a

Sorry man, couldn't resist. No offence intended 'n'all that jazz :yep:

• Like 7

I've used fibre pots for a grow on autos so I can just chuck the whole thing into it's final pot without disturbance.

You have to sit them into small pots to hold the sides whilst sprouting.

When you do pot them up just tear through the bottom carefully and plant.

I tried 2 without tearing as a comparison and both took a few days extra to get going.

With the VITAX compost DON'T buy it.The bags I opened both had bugs in and were soaking wet and stagnant smelling thankfully it was a local store who refunded each time so bought Biobizz in the end.

There are alot of better budget composts out there but to be sure why not buy Biobizz All mix Or Plagron All Mix/Royal Mix for a few quid more,the Plagron is a great quality mix with every amendment most people would use already in it.

Edited by Badbadger
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, Arnold Layne said:

@flash_cannon

Nowt "sensitive" about cannabis at all my friend! :rofl: She's a WEED, and very hard to kill off! I don't bother with any of the modern softly-softly approach to growing. Just drop seeds straight into wee pot of potting compost, bit of water, place under light (even a 600W HPS sometimes) and bob's yer lobster's auntie!

Such a sensitive plant.....!

large.1-DSC01801.jpg.07fb491fac1b24b3b8a

Sorry man, couldn't resist. No offence intended 'n'all that jazz :yep:

Haha none taken! I like that approach and it is essentially my own approach, I'm going to let it teach me as it grows! What I meant was to get the best results you need to treat it just right... sure it will grow anyway but it won't flower and yield like it could have done.. is that right?

• Like 2

Treating it just right is the tricky part. Some like lots of super rich compost, high in Nitrogen and all the other nutritional needs. Other like to be rooted in dust, rich in nowt but sand! Sativa strains like very low levels of nutrients.

So you are on the right path, letting the plants do the talking, whilst you do the listening. Its the only way to go, methinketh!

• Like 3

Hmmm, ok, thanks Arnold... got me thinking...

I have 6 sativas in starter cups with BioBizz lightmix and they don't really like their early feeds.. It has been 3 weeks though since they sprouted. Maybe I should re-pot them into 8l's and wait a couple more weeks. The leaves look patchy green and yellow... I'll post pics later in my LED grow blog (they aren't auto's because I lost my outdoor plot and I'm trying to keep them alive!)

@flash_cannon be very very light on the feed,start out of 1/4 strength imo and look out how much she likes by watching her leaf colour,i made that mistake of feeding a sativa too much and too early and they dont look nice after!,atb.

cheers.

• Like 1