How Many Plants In My Space

Owderb

@inventel

9 pots could fit depending on their size but it will get full quickly, maybe better to use 4 or 5 larger pots. Bigger pots - bigger yield. Better air flow. 

Topping and training are good techniques, but some strains benefit more than others. There’s so many variables to be honest. What strains are you growing? Probably best to start a diary and every man/woman and his/her dog will drop in and offer encouragement and advice. It’s worth doing :) 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Owderb Great thread!

So could I veg 4 plants in a 1200mm x 600mm with 400w cfl for 10 weeks then flip them?

From this thread my understanding is to wait until the roots fill the pot then put into a bigger pot?

What size pot should I be finishing in if the above veging times are possible?

Very informative post owderb! 

I currently use 4x 25ltr pots under a 600w hid lamp, I’ve often wondered if I could go smaller with my pots without compromising my yield, I’ll give it go next time !

1 hour ago, Tepzad said:

Very informative post owderb! 

I currently use 4x 25ltr pots under a 600w hid lamp, I’ve often wondered if I could go smaller with my pots without compromising my yield, I’ll give it go next time !

Massive waste of medium i recon surely the plants will be too big by time its rooted a 25ltr pot ?

Edited by wifi-user

13 minutes ago, wifi-user said:

Massive waste of medium i recon surely the plants will be too big by time its rooted a 25ltr pot ?

Well I’ve used 11s 15s and more recently 25s with various strains but because I swap and change a lot so some times I’ll have 9 plants in 11s or 4 plants in 15s or for the last 3 grows 4 plants in 25s.

A grower friend of mine tried getting me on the bigger pots (I always use coco and clay pebbles 60/40) so I tried that, as I’ve swapped strains it’s hard to compare performance wise.

But I’m open minded and next time I’ll try 4 plants but in 11s if I can get the same and cut down on medium I’ll be happy :)

Just now, Tepzad said:

Well I’ve used 11s 15s and more recently 25s with various strains but because I swap and change a lot so some times I’ll have 9 plants in 11s or 4 plants in 15s or for the last 3 grows 4 plants in 25s.

A grower friend of mine tried getting me on the bigger pots (I always use coco and clay pebbles 60/40) so I tried that, as I’ve swapped strains it’s hard to compare performance wise.

But I’m open minded and next time I’ll try 4 plants but in 11s if I can get the same and cut down on medium I’ll be happy :)

Thing is with coco you can grow bigger plants in per ltr IMO dont you think?

I used to use 11's and then by time it was rooted i ended up with a tree! lol

At the minute im struggling keeping some plants small enough and there is 6ltr pots i think and some even smaller lol all good fun! Once i get some clones root there gonna be flowered in 6.5's i think :)

:hippy:

1 minute ago, Tepzad said:

How bigs your space how many plants do you grow ?

ill try next crop as I don’t like waste

Funny story that lol at the minute ive got a jungle crammed into a budbox small lay on its side so it dont poke over window ledge!

I think there is 7 different seed plants some in 6ltr pots round (i think) a prop with 15 cuttings hopefully) and 4 or 5 rooted clones sitting on top of the bigger plants!! its a mess to be honest.. i should of had a few mothers from them by now and moved from where they are.

@Tepzad 

I work out my pot sizing with a couple of quick assumptions.  These may not be 100% spot on, but I think it's not bad.

Yield is 1gpw

Plant needs 3 litres of soil per oz.

IE.

600W light = (600grams/28) = 21 oz

Take 21 oz, split between plant count.

If i want 4 plants I need 5oz per plant.

5oz x 3litres, I'll need 4 x 15 litre pots.

Is a pretty easy way to judge, and I don't think you'd be far off.

Using this you should be getting around 8oz from each of the 25L pots.  To achieve that you'd prob need closer to 1000W of light in there. You could maybe do it with less, if you was real good and have everything dialled in nice to bump up the 1gpw.

Just now, unity said:

@Tepzad 

I work out my pot sizing with a couple of quick assumptions.  These may not be 100% spot on, but I think it's not bad.

Yield is 1gpw

Plant needs 3 litres of soil per oz.

IE.

600W light = (600grams/28) = 21 oz

Take 21 oz, split between plant count.

If i want 4 plants I need 5oz per plant.

5oz x 3litres, I'll need 4 x 15 litre pots.

Is a pretty easy way to judge, and I don't think you'd be far off.

Using this you should be getting around 8oz from each of the 25L pots.  To achieve that you'd prob need closer to 1000W of light in there. You could maybe do it with less, if you was real good and have everything dialled in nice to bump up the 1gpw.

I used to use 15s until my mate told me to try bigger pots (he swears by it) but because I changed strains it’s hard to compare the difference,

but next grow I’ll switch back and save nearly a bag of 60/40.

ive been growing a long time but I like to try new things so I’m up for most things in the name of scientific experimentation!

cheers.

6 hours ago, Tepzad said:

I used to use 15s until my mate told me to try bigger pots (he swears by it) but because I changed strains it’s hard to compare the difference,

but next grow I’ll switch back and save nearly a bag of 60/40.

ive been growing a long time but I like to try new things so I’m up for most things in the name of scientific experimentation!

cheers.

You could use the extra coco you save and scrap the clay pebbles? :) let us know how you get on :yep: