How Many Plants In My Space

Owderb

Just now, wifi-user said:

You could use the extra coco you save and scrap the clay pebbles? :) let us know how you get on :yep:

I quite like my pebbles thank you :)

6 hours ago, Tepzad said:

I used to use 15s until my mate told me to try bigger pots (he swears by it) but because I changed strains it’s hard to compare the difference,

but next grow I’ll switch back and save nearly a bag of 60/40.

ive been growing a long time but I like to try new things so I’m up for most things in the name of scientific experimentation!

cheers.

4 plants in 11ltr pots

60%/40% mix for 2

100% mix for other 2

Down to you now brother :rofl:

Edited by wifi-user
*quoted wrong bit*

I used to use straight coco but started with the canna 60/40 mix about 2 years ago. tell you what next grow I’ll do a side by side 2 in straight coco 2 in the pebble mix and we will see if it helps at all !

I’ll take cuttings off my shiva skunk that’s in veg when I lolllipop them before I flower them and we can do some serious scientific analysis

this grow 4x shivas in 25 ltr pots

next grow 2x shiva in 11s pure coco

2x shiva in 11s 60/40 mix

and we will see what the scales say !!

Edited by Tepzad

• 4 weeks later...

Heya :)

So my plants have stretched quite a bit, what can I do at this point? Was thinking about getting some strings and just pulling the long tops to the sides, would that work?

Thanks!

1large.IMG_20190129.jpg

Hi @Anchorman. Why not just bend the lanky bits over and get the growing tip pointing down if poss.

This should encourage the side branches as you are limiting the growth inhibitor released by the growing tip

from reaching the lower branches, as I understand it. Good luck !

Recently I've been trying with smaller pots for flowering and increasing the number of plants. I've been doing 9 in 3 ltr pots in a 1.2 x 1.2 with a 600w and getting between 14 and 16oz. Not the fabled gpw but I find there are advantages. Short veg time. They are easy plants to deal with, short and stocky. They are easy to move about. They are easy to trim. There's very little airy bud as the light gets right into them. It's easier get rid of the old used medium. Quicker rotation for next crop. The overall quality of bud is better.

For my next try I have 12 cuts vegging so I'll try with them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve read through this post but still have a couple of questions. I have a 400w hps in a 1200x800 space. I want to have 4 plants so to get the 1g per watt I’d need just over 3 oz per plant. Roughly how long would I need to veg for to achieve this and what size pots would u recommend? 

3 hours ago, Joel222 said:

I’ve read through this post but still have a couple of questions. I have a 400w hps in a 1200x800 space. I want to have 4 plants so to get the 1g per watt I’d need just over 3 oz per plant. Roughly how long would I need to veg for to achieve this and what size pots would u recommend? 

I think you'd need 11 -15ltr pots and a probable veg time of 6 - 8  weeks including training.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joel222 said:

Thanks @bearukc. I have seedlings at 2 weeks old now, when would u start the 6-8 weeks veg time from, once the seedlings are 8 inches tall?

I think you may have mis-read the information a little.  Your plants don't require a set veg period of any amount of weeks, so try not to think of it in that aspect.  Your veg time is however long it takes for you to grow enough plant & root material to go into flower.  How long this takes varies on a multitude of factors which will effect how quickly your plant grows, along with the number of plants you have.  10 plants take half the time of 5.  So long as you have a decent canopy, and have potted up adequately to establish a decent root ball you won't go far wrong.  With final pot sizing I find 3 litres of soil/oz of dry isn't a far off working.  You can use this with the gpw rule to work out what size pots you will require over how many plants.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, bearukc said:

Recently I've been trying with smaller pots for flowering and increasing the number of plants. I've been doing 9 in 3 ltr pots.

Short veg time.

Hi bearukc, I'm just cherry picking what you said to ask you a couple of questions if I can?

I have some 3.5L square pots I've been using as intermediary sizes for potting up, are you saying this is an ample size pot to flower in? 

How short is a short veg time? Do you go by weeks or how tall the plant is or when roots first emerge at the drainage holes?

I'm interested in what you said about short stocky plants as I use a 250w HPS to flower and would like to keep my plants smaller as the light is strong enough for about a foot I think?

Cheers E.

I am using 3 ltr pots to flower in. Veg time, I go by size of plant. I veg with 400w mh and usually it's about 4 wks veg from clone. I'll top them or bend them over once during that time. Usual flowering size is about 12 inches up to 15.

• Like 2