6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

I'll be giving this a go tomorrow on my Ruck 150A and have already cut the holes at the top of the box.

As this is my first time setting up cooling in a grow room (let alone a boxed fan) do I also need the jubilee clips when I'm doing this or will just ducting tape do the job?

I plan on running CF>Acoustic Ducting>Boxed ruck on roof of tent>Acoustic ducting to attic.

I've also bought an STR Fan Speed controller, so I'm hoping that this setup will be good enough not for the neighbours to hear when it's running when the lights are on, and quiet enough when turn it's low when the lights are off and I'm trying to sleep.

I've nobody to help me rig this up so tomorrow will be 'interesting' to say the least :ninja:

Edited by tywyn

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome guide leeps bro! Gonna be doing this in the very near future as the the buzzing from my new fans is a little too much! Gonna couple that with acoustic ducting and possibly a silencer and we should be silent as a mouse! You are forever coming up with genious ideas and a real asset to the community! :ninja:

Nice idea Leepy I must have a try at making a silencer for my ruck fan, also what C'est la vie asked.

Edited by Adrian Beaky

Hi leepy (and everyone else who has had success with this),

how hot will the actual fan get being encased in the bag, foam, box and tape? could it shorten its life? or is yours still running just as good as the day you bought it? just at the beginning of starting my loftbuild and love your idea :)

Hi leepy (and everyone else who has had success with this),

how hot will the actual fan get being encased in the bag, foam, box and tape? could it shorten its life? or is yours still running just as good as the day you bought it? just at the beginning of starting my loftbuild and love your idea :)

I believe RVK's and the like are colled by the air flowing through the fan so no heat issues should occur.

I wrapped mine with rockwool and cable ties and I can't say it feels hot, I would do this but my fans arfe quieter than the airstones so what's the point.

Thanks for all your comments chaps :D

billturner bro what tutu said is 100% bang on m8 (cheers tutu :rofl: ) the fan cant over heat cos its constantly pulling air though itself :)

Thanks for all your comments chaps :rofl:

billturner bro what tutu said is 100% bang on m8 (cheers tutu :v: ) the fan cant over heat cos its constantly pulling air though itself :)

thanks leepy for this and i hope people appreciate your time and help on this site (amongst others).

• Like 1

Built one last night, encasing my rvk 100 (noisy lil fucker...) it works!! as my fan is an input fan it still had the whooshing noise where the air enters but i built like a big cone thing (home made silencer) out of carboard and its worked a treat. I can leave it on all night now.

I used two tins of wickes foam filler (25%0ff when u but two...) :nea: the box is solid as a rock now! :P

Cheers Leepy :doh:

Thanks for all your comments chaps :nea:

billturner bro what tutu said is 100% bang on m8 (cheers tutu :P ) the fan cant over heat cos its constantly pulling air though itself :nea:

thanks leepy for this and i hope people appreciate your time and help on this site (amongst others).

We do.... :doh:

Just wanted to say how much of a lifesaver this was. Really does reduce the fan noise.

Still going to use a variac to cut down the woosh when it's not needed on full power!

Thanks,

digi-tal

Have to say this does work to an extent... I just cant get rid of the feckin buzzing noise now! I used the original rvk box so am thinkin there aint enough foam in between the buzzing bits now! May try and get another box to go over this one and do the same again creating a bigger void...

Id deffo silenced it no end though!

Have to say this does work to an extent... I just cant get rid of the feckin buzzing noise now! I used the original rvk box so am thinkin there aint enough foam in between the buzzing bits now! May try and get another box to go over this one and do the same again creating a bigger void...

hi budqueen.

yea, just do it again in a bigger box...if u can still here whooshing around the ducting wrap sheets around it - helped me a bit... :unsure:

hi budqueen.

yea, just do it again in a bigger box...if u can still here whooshing around the ducting wrap sheets around it - helped me a bit... :B):

Thanks man, I basically went to the groom in a last ditch attempt before I went out and bought another can of expanding foam. I wrapped the fan box in a duvet, pillows, a blanket and some various odds and ends that were laying about! The result: Pure perfection... it really has silenced the buzz to an extent that I really have to try hard to hear it! Im so chuffed!

Just to add, I finally got round to doing this, mainly because my Ruck 100L had just arrived. I got a extra large 750ml can for the occasion, but a comedy of errors followed. I boxed the fan, and taped it up before relalising I need to keep it open to fill it. So, being lazy, I stabbed holes in the box to fill it, which may or may not have worked, I really couldn't see to tell, but I sorta guessed by what spraying the can sounded like, and used the whole can. Realising what I'd just done I took the dog out for a walk so I wouldn't be in range when it exploded everywhere...

It didn't explode, thankfully, but the next day it was quite solid, and caused such massive vibrations that I didn't want it turned on for long. TBH it wasn't loud, apart from the air whoosing, before I boxed it, so I did start to wonder why I'd bothered, and hacked it apart in frustration. But I had no other grow kit to play with at the time, and looking back, I've learned alot. I think it would have been better if I'd not emptied a whole extra large can, the box didn't explode but it was solid as a rock so I guess this would only amplify vibrations, and hence sound. I belive everbuild foam not the best to use. I will probably 'soft' fill a box with some polysterene packaging I remembered I had lying around anyway, as I believe the fan noise may well be neglible, but desiring ultimate stealth I may try foaming again, but with either special acoustic foam, or at least a different brand.