6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

• 7 months later...
Guest Soberman

Anyone experience fans overheating / smoking / stinking of plastic from casing ?

Or at worst a full on fire?

• 1 month later...

Anyone experience fans overheating / smoking / stinking of plastic from casing ?

Or at worst a full on fire?

was thinking the same thing at the start of this thread, no mention of it (yet) :wassnnme:

i'm doing this myself next week, gonna pinch a roll of space blanket off a loft rafter, wrap it round my fan, maybe stuff some old clothes in if theres room left in the box. :wink:

nice up to leefy and co. for this thread thats taken me a damn while to read :bong: i was too fixed on the thread to be aware of the amount of space cake i was wolfing down , now its 5 in the morning and im high as gods tits :naughty:

hopefully i remember these amazing new plans

:yinyang: peace, love and coconuts :yinyang:

• 2 months later...

As I said, what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander matey.

In MY opinion it's rubbish and a complete waste of time, space and foremost cash when there are easier solutions.

So it worked for some-one else.....so what.......never worked for me.

Maybe you like the thought of being some sort of self made cannabis guru? Full of your own self importance maybe?

Oh great lord of cannabis, you are the all seeing, all being and anyone on this site with less posts than you must bow down at your feet and

know they are the lesser ones............erm.....aye right.

EB77

:smoke:

dick

• Like 1

I have a 6" boxed/foamed ruck which although it has quitened it down a bit my 8" etaline is much quiter.
I have the 8" etaline wrapped tightly with towels and taped together and then wedged into 13" acoustic ducting with 13" CF.
I wish I was able to measure the difference to show you guys but the ruck seems twice as loud in both vibration and air movement running at full speed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i've got a 5" RVK extracting which is directly attached to the CF with a duct clamp with a 10m run of the black combi ducting to the extraction point in another room. The woosh from the CF is a pain and also the noise at the exhaust end (in the other room) is loud, too oud for my liking. If i put a 1m run of standard duct between CF and RVK, wrap the RVK in a rockwool filled box then run 10m of acoustic ducting with a flexi silencer at the end of the run, in the other room, should this reduce both wooshing from the CF and noise from the exhaust in the other room?

10m seem's a long bit of ducting for a 5" fan, is that as short as it can be?

Get acoustic ducting everywhere, it really does make a big difference! I would try to keep the fan and filter connected at first as adding ducting between them will reduce the power of the fan and it need's all it can get to push the exhaust air through the 10m of ducting. If it's still too loud you could separate them no problem with the 1m of ducting you mentioned (acoustic though!) and they will run quieter.

I don't think silencers are ever neccessary, to get the same effect you can simply use the next size ducting. Duck tape/duct clamp a 5-6" reducer to the exhaust end of your fan and run 6" acoustic ducting from there. All of my fans run like this now after seeing great results from it!

When wrapping the RVK in the box of rockwool remember to wrap/pack it loosely as it loses it's insulative properties when compressed.

• Like 1

thanks dingo. 10m is the shortest run as i'm extracting from the tent through a cupboard at the other side of the room into the hall cupboard. benefit of this is i keep fresh air coming into tent by passive intake from bedroom window and the extraction keeps my hall and adjacent bedrooms nice and cosy. i've got loads of polysyrene, would that be better than rockwool? cheers

Haven't read every page of this but I've seen the expanding foam in a tin which i've used and had to use a lot of but then I've just seen the stuff in a big can that you mix earlier in the thread, a non messy alternate is foam offcuts, I bought a big bag full, enough for this huge box for under a tenner.

fan boxed and stuffed with foam offcuts

it's excessively big because the fan was already boxed but it was a crap job, instead of taking it apart I just decided to work around it lol, if it needs making smaller I can reuse the foam as well.

I have two fans the same size, one in this box and the other sat on top of the tent with a blanket over and the difference is huge.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right people i came up with this idea about 5yr ago and it works a treat .But iv seen a few posts recently asking dose it work , is it safe bla bla bla

So iv just knocked one up for my new room so thought id show ya's how to do it it took 10 mins max

1st step attachicon.gifempty_box_1.JPG get a box the fan will fit in

2nd step attachicon.gifwrapped_fan_2.JPG wrap the fan in a bin bag or cling film this is so the foam dosent stick to ya fan

3rd step attachicon.gifboxed_fan_3.JPG once its wrapped up place it in the box

4th stepattachicon.giftaped_up_4.JPG iv put the ducting on the fan to save time later make sure you tape around the ducting real good

5th step attachicon.giffoamed_up_5.JPG fill with foam i normaly tape the whole thing up 1st but i did it this way to show ya it

6th step attachicon.giftaped_up_.JPG rush like a fucker to get it tapped up b4 the foam gets every were

and there you have it one boxed fan wink.gif

I've just made one using expanding foam and there's no difference, followed your guild step by step, have I used the wrong matireal?

I've just made one using expanding foam and there's no difference, followed your guild step by step, have I used the wrong matireal?

m8 i used this foam http://www.uk420.com/boards/uploads/monthly_06_2009/post-13162-1243881992.jpg i dont know if you did or not are you sure theres no voids in the box or something read the bottom can in my pic accustic insulator check ur can see ifs same m8y

Edited by starling

m8 i used this foam http://www.uk420.com/boards/uploads/monthly_06_2009/post-13162-1243881992.jpg i dont know if you did or not are you sure theres no voids in the box or something read the bottom can in my pic accustic insulator check ur can see ifs same m8y

I used this stuff

http://www.wilko.com/fillers+sealants/polycell-expanding-foam-polyfilla-825ml/invt/0243650?VBMST=Foam&VBMST=Foam&VBMTC=c7ce49e156f426e1350239880a0358f6