6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

Cheers Leepy mate. Just done my 6 inch RUCK.

Be warned though - Pollycell Pollyfilla expanding foam is crap! Just used a 825ml can to fill half the box lol

:wink:

Sub

Cheers Leepy mate. Just done my 6 inch RUCK.

Be warned though - Pollycell Pollyfilla expanding foam is crap! Just used a 825ml can to fill half the box :doh:

:)

Sub

lol :wink: Mate you want to hope an pray its crap cos if that starts expanding like it should ur right up shit creek fella :doh:lol A full can should about fill 2baths fuck your gunna be cleaning for a month :rofl:

Nice one Leepy

I have just leepyfied my 150 l1 fan, Quality !!

I now have cf >ducting >leepyfied fan> wac1 controller>silencer.

I am doing a test run this evenning to see if the nieghbours can hear it, if not all good, all systems are go for another grow .

Fecking foam gets everywhere :ninja:

SS

:rofl: :rofl:

Thank fuck I was right mate - You shit me right up then lol . Had to go check it.

It has filled the box now - slightly bulging. Turned it on and :rofl: can't hear a thing :yep: and works perfect!

I'll get it installed in a week or so. Gotta do some 'ceiling modifications' first :ninja:

But yeah - looks like the polycell stuff sucks. Get something else :v:

Sub

Bro im glad you were right buddy cos that would of took some right cleaning up mucka :D and im glad your happy with your new fan :wink:

StonedSkunk i think i like that <leepyfied>fan :D glad it worked for you m8 take care mucka :)

Ps the foam is shite init cant use the fucking stuff without getting it every were lol lol

:v::smug::fear::yep: Stick that in ya fucking pipe an smoke it Edin bud

Cheers chaps its nice to know that something iv posted has helpped someone out :wink:

ya big fanny :stoned:

you just couldn't resist yerself, could you :D

here, go N twat him with this

post-36349-1257017924_thumb.jpg

:wink: JH

• Like 1

Its my turn today!

I am not looking forward to this at all, I am messy at the best of times ;)

Thanks for the instructions Leepy, hopefully I wont overfill my box and get the foam everywhere! Mind you, not much chance of that by subwoofers post! I have bought the Polycell Polyfilla but only the 500ml can. I guess I wont need to rush to seal the box up if it is slow to expand? (Please please say its true ;))

Well, I will let you know how I get on because trust me if I can do this then anyone can :taz:

Edited by namaste666

Am going to be attempting this in the next few weeks, as I'm gonna be starting a grow that I hope will be completely stealthy.

I was looking online for the foam that'd you used, and had it in my head that it was special acoustic stuff, so I had a hard time finding any. After coming back here I see it was the normal foam you used, so I was just wasting my time looking for anything else, but I did come across something called flexi-foam and wondered if anyone had come across it/knew if it was any good. It's meant to be more flexible - so maybe it would dampen vibrations better?

post-49580-1257514446_thumb.jpg

Flexifoam is much more elastic than standard PU-foam:

o Elastic Recovery ( ISO 1856) is up to 90% if the foam is compressed by 75%.

Traditional PU-foam does not have any recovery if the compression is higher than 10%.

o Elongation at break is three times that of traditional foam. The maximum elongation before breaking (DIN 18540) is about 45% compared to 15% for traditional PU-foam.

Thanks to these flexibility properties, the foam will maintain its general characteristics much better. Joint movements through the years will cause a traditional PU-foam to break and lose some of the following properties:

o Thermal insulation

o Acoustic insulation

o Air and vapour block

Flexifoam follows the movements of the joint and will keep its insulating properties over the years. This is certainly a necessity for larger windows in PVC or aluminium, especially in smaller joints (e.g. 2 to 3 cm width). The maximum movement allowed for traditional foam before breaking is only 2mm compression or 3mm elongation. Moreover, after several years the maximum elongation and compression will reduce to possibly 50%. That’s why Soudal created Flexifoam which has high movement capability as well as stress resistance in time.

Application areas:

o Expanding joints.

o Vibrating constructions

o Use as fixing foam while minimizing noise transmission

o Impact and shock damping

o Sealing of window- and doorframes

o Filling of cavities

o Sealing of all openings in roof constructions

o Construction of baffle plate; soundproofing

o Connecting insulation materials to roof constructions

o Application of a soundproofing layer on motors

o Improving thermal insulation in cooling/heating systems

Characteristics:

o Very high elastic recovery

o Copes with extreme mechanical movement without cracking

o Excellent adhesion on most substrates (except Teflon, PE and PP)

o High thermal and acoustic insulation

o Very good filling capacities

o Excellent stability (no shrink or post-expansion)

o Very precise application due to the foam gun system

o Low expansion

o Good compressibility

Properties

1)Gun Grade

What you see is what you get: Low expansion

Easy to use: gun application

Economical: less waste

2)Insulation Properties

a)Insulation

Tested by MPA Bau Hannover according to DIN 52612-1  = 0.0345 W/(m.K)

b)Acoustic Rate

Tested by IFT Rosenheim according to EN ISO 717-1 RST,w= 60 ( -1;-4) dB

c)Air penetration

Tested by IFT Rosenheim according to DIN 18542, Part 7.2

A < 0,1 m

Thing is you need a special gun to use it with, which makes it expensive, so I may just go with the normal kind for the moment (unless anyone has a source for a handheld spray of this?)

Also found the 2 part one that you have to mix yourself, would this be better, or just more faffing about?

Yeah bro that sounds bang on mucka except its not expanding so you'll need a few cans to fill a box mucka and for get that costly gun ya need to use it .use the( leepyfied gun )an that is a nail though a board take can twat nail into base of can aim foam into box :g:

Yeah bro that sounds bang on mucka except its not expanding so you'll need a few cans to fill a box mucka and for get that costly gun ya need to use it .use the( leepyfied gun )an that is a nail though a board take can twat nail into base of can aim foam into box :unsure:
Flexifoam gun is a one-component, self-expanding, ready to use polyurethane foam.

Think I'll go with this and the leepygun then, I need any extra stealth but not at the cost of a £40 gun. Just wondering how much foam should I expect to get outta 1 can - I'll have to do this indoors so I'm thinking I should have a spare box for the extra foam, or can you stop it when you need to?

Edited by RilverSizlas

Hey look, that picture has a nozzle included unlike my foam :yes:

I built my box, put the fan in, taped it all up and was ready to add the foam when I read the back of the can. Attach the nozzle provided! Bugger, no nozzle. I looked in the places it might have been but no luck.

Ah well, we live and learn. I really thought it came with the nozzle so it must have fallen off somewhere in the house. I bet I find it tonight after taking it all apart again to get my fan back up and running :yep:

Remember folks, check your foam works before you start! This could have saved me a couple of hours today! :unsure:

Thanks again for the instructions Leepy, I will start again next week with a nozzle. :B):

• 3 weeks later...
Hey look, that picture has a nozzle included unlike my foam :clapping:

I built my box, put the fan in, taped it all up and was ready to add the foam when I read the back of the can. Attach the nozzle provided! Bugger, no nozzle. I looked in the places it might have been but no luck.

Ah well, we live and learn. I really thought it came with the nozzle so it must have fallen off somewhere in the house. I bet I find it tonight after taking it all apart again to get my fan back up and running :clapping:

Remember folks, check your foam works before you start! This could have saved me a couple of hours today! :clapping:

Thanks again for the instructions Leepy, I will start again next week with a nozzle. :B):

:clapping::clapping::toot: Thats how i came up with the leepyfied gun lol got half of box of foam from work an not 1fecking nozzle in the bastard box :doh: anyway bro i hope its worked for you pal

Also try not to cut through a can with a jigsaw !!!!!

As i did when using a box full of foam cans (from mate) as a workbench, not good, like a bomb going off, had to throw it grenade style out the window onto my lawn....:yep:

• Like 3