6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

This is pretty much what I did as well. The problem is most of the sound doesn't come from the actual fan, it comes from the 'wooshing' sound of the air being moved.

Thats what I always thought.

Recently I bought a 200mm Acoustic cabinet fan and ran air through insulated oversize ducting.(cooling 4 600w lights-running full bore for 12 hours). I keep having to go over to it to see if its turned on. Its shifting same air as 250 it replaced and its LOADS quieter.

Gonna do the foam box thing on the old one. I have a dba meter so might do a quick test so see how much sound reduces.

BTW. This may be news to some- Your local air conditioning wholesalers is loads cheaper than your hydro shop. I tell em I have a joinery workshop that needs good ventilation. Loads of help and advice. Some will do great deals for cash/no invoice.

Topping idea Leepy.

Yours quietly

Papa

This is pretty much what I did as well. The problem is most of the sound doesn't come from the actual fan, it comes from the 'wooshing' sound of the air being moved.

i agree less bends helps but its a hard one will be interested to see the results.stonedbritania brought an acoustic fan once and it was louder than his rvk.

thats why I have silencers

Randalizer,

What type of silencers do you use.? How do you rate em? Do they restrict airflow much?

Sorry if this is a hijack.

Take this thread to CUBA. :unsure:

Papa.

Guest leepy
I should perhaps explain why I did it this way. I needed couplings of some sort to poke through the box for my acoustic ducting to fit onto. And I plan on laying the fan on its side on top of my tent. The ducting needs to make a right turn just under the tent ceiling and just above the tent ceiling (space restrictions) so these adjustable right angle pieces filled both needs neatly.

This will be a conventional order, left to right, top to bottom.

1) Fan wrapped and in box. Sides have been cut to desired size. These sides (4), combined with the original box flap tops will form the top for my now newly shortened box

2) To work with the box, I stand it on one duct fitting and raise the box to where I want it, using wood blocks.

3) Another look at the completed fan and fittings

4) The lines where I will cut the box side/lids off at.

5) Find the center of the cardboard pieces and draw a circle centered there, using another bit of 6 inch ducting as a round rule edge. I plan to cut just outside the drawn circle.

6) Success!

7) & 8) how the cord was fitted through.

8) Getting there!

9) And so. The box is now ready to be filled with foam. I have a mix liquid that produces a rubber gel. I'll have pictures of that on the morrow.

Until then good folk.

Hey Randalizer can you not get the flexi ducting that we use m8 ?

Must say bro you'v done a better job than my 5min wonder :rofl::russian::rofl: Top job R

thats why I have silencers

What type of silencers do you use.? How do you rate em? Do they restrict airflow much?

Hi Ilpapa,

No hijacking here my friend! If you want to read about my silencers click here. I'll be installing my new 6 inch fan, acoustic ducting, silencer tonight, report tomorrow in the link I gave you. ;) However I will say they are rated at over 20 dB down @ 1KHz. Very impressive to me. :rofl:

Hey Randalizer can you not get the flexi ducting that we use m8 ?

Must say bro you'v done a better job than my 5min wonder :rofl::rofl::rofl: Top job R

:russian: Believe me, it took a lot longer than 5 minutes! :rofl:

I have acoustic flex ducting but hate making right angle bends with it plus I needed a coupler of some sort to slip the ducting on and off easily.

Edited by Randalizer

uhhh. Waay behind schedule. Did the foam pour tonight. Here are some pictures. After I post them all up, I go back and edit in the text.

It's a two part kit, in a 2:1 ratio. For this one 6 inch fan I used 1/4 so 32:16 ounces = 48 ounces total.

I used a new bucket to mix in. I poured in 16 oz of water and then another 32 oz, each time marking the top of the water line inside the bucket.

First component is poured in.

The store that sold this kit had these mixers as well so I just put it on my cordless drill.

Safety when spinning noxious, highly viscous fluids at high speeds! :stoned:

The box. I cut two pour holes in the corners as these go straight to the bottom. Then another vent hole in the center. The process of pouring the 2nd component in, mixing throughly and pouring it all in takes about a minute. The foam rises up in about another minute. It's fast!

Once I poured the liquid in and could see foam arising, I taped over the pour holes.

post-31962-1245234224_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245234302_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245234329_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245234368_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245234402_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245234433_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245234477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

The foam just came up to the vent hole. I did good! :stoned:

Here you can see the corner where the pour hole was. The tape that I very quickly applied bubbled out a bit.

I'm a little concerned about the foam filling in the area near where the duct fitting is attached to the fan. I'm going to cut open the box there and check to see if it got foamed well. If not, I have some in a can to spot fill if need be.

post-31962-1245234547_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245234587_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

Hiya Leppy! :rofl:

Yea, i got lucky. Just happened to see it in a store front window as I was walking to the hardware store to buy foam in a can. We don't get the stuff in a tube you have earlier in this topic (or is that an aerosol can of foam?). We do get foam in an aerosol can that really kinda don't work so well. They suck really. :rofl: But I did buy a big can for spot work.

The foam came in two types. A rigid and a spongy. I got the spongy and it is very pliant under finger tip pressure. Might have a winner here! :wink:

It better work. This stuff was fookin expensive! :rofl:

post-31962-1245236010_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

• 2 months later...

I reckon this thread deserves a good bump.....and maybe a sticky.....cheers Leepy.

***** :wassnnme:

Edited by BluePixie

Guest EdinBud77

Tried it and found there was no difference at all with noise/buzz.

Then i changed from a primair to an Airforce controller.

Then i took the fan out of the insulated box.

Not a sound now, get a decent fan controller and all will be well.

I have ordered a s&p environment controller

EB77

:smoke:

Edited by bart

EB77

:smoke:

Well in that case you'v done it wrong then because everyone i know both on here and my friends that grow all think its fucking mint

EB77

lol

Certainly is not noise when your fan is running at 1rpm :smoke:

Must admit i did it and didnt really find any noticeable differance to it be fixed onto a main brick wall, the main noise seems to be from the ducting and i have sorted this by insulating it again....only noise i get now is from the intake whoosh... :smoke:lol