6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

This is definately the one for me - the easiest i have seen so far - but being a total baboon when it comes to elctric things - i forgot to wire up before putting in the box - luckily the other half pointed out to me that I needed to some sort of cable with a plug on the end...DOH..

nice one for posting this up!

Great stuff leepy, I'll be using this method tommorow when I setup the homebox again.

What do you need to do to un-assemble? I haven't used expanding foam before - is it soft at all? Could you just cut it away?

Cheers, DB.

Hey leepy matey :)

thanks for the pics, i had already decided to give it ago when i heard you mention in your other post about it, seeing the pics have confirmed my noob DIYness can cope easily. Nice one! :yep:

Got a new stealth growdrobe project on the go and i need those fans to be quiet.

Volc

Nice one, got 2 x 315mm RVK fans, I reckon when they go on it is gonna be loud as feck, might use this idea if they are noisy, excellent. :P

As for the filter thats another story, that looks like it has just fell off an aircraft, the thing is huge and weighs a ton. :guitar:

post-26029-1244678367_thumb.jpg

Ducting in background is off my old 200mm rvk, see the size difference lol

post-26029-1244678375_thumb.jpg

Edited by potsmoker93

'allo everyone,

I wanted to share in this topic. I just happen to be getting 3 fans all boxed up the Leepy Way™. I thought I might share how this yank is doing it. Big thanks to Leepy for teaching us this method and for letting me share in this. :yep::wub::spliff:

I also want to mention that this is more aimed at those who perhaps don't build a lot. For the Master Craftsmen out there, pleas excuse my over explaining of things.

Two Steps:

1) Boxing

2) Foam

So first I'll show some fancy, way out west box construction techniques and then tomorrow I'll show my foam pour.

The sequence of images is a bit off so let me draw a map. For the images in this post, below, I'll be referring to their numbers. Images are laid out like this;

1) 6 inch elicent duct fan in a box. Note how deep the box is. This has to be modified for my needs.

2) Duct fittings. They are rotate-able 4 inch and 6 inch couplers (90 to 180 degrees) and a few reducrers, 4-6 inch

3) Duct fitting on fan. You can see the aluminum duct tape holding it in place. On this side I had to use vertical strips.

4) Other side of the fan. The angle here was better so I used a wide strip of aluminum tape horizontally.

5) But before I put on the tape, the metal surfaces get a quick iso alcohol wipe.

post-31962-1245047947_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048061_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048108_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048143_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer

I should perhaps explain why I did it this way. I needed couplings of some sort to poke through the box for my acoustic ducting to fit onto. And I plan on laying the fan on its side on top of my tent. The ducting needs to make a right turn just under the tent ceiling and just above the tent ceiling (space restrictions) so these adjustable right angle pieces filled both needs neatly.

This will be a conventional order, left to right, top to bottom.

1) Fan wrapped and in box. Sides have been cut to desired size. These sides (4), combined with the original box flap tops will form the top for my now newly shortened box

2) To work with the box, I stand it on one duct fitting and raise the box to where I want it, using wood blocks.

3) Another look at the completed fan and fittings

4) The lines where I will cut the box side/lids off at.

5) Find the center of the cardboard pieces and draw a circle centered there, using another bit of 6 inch ducting as a round rule edge. I plan to cut just outside the drawn circle.

6) Success!

7) & 8) how the cord was fitted through.

8) Getting there!

9) And so. The box is now ready to be filled with foam. I have a mix liquid that produces a rubber gel. I'll have pictures of that on the morrow.

Until then good folk.

post-31962-1245048353_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048399_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048436_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048488_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048531_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048563_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048604_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048642_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048692_thumb.jpg

post-31962-1245048734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randalizer
  • Like 1

This is the most practical and best idea ive seen yet on 420, cheers mate, im gonna pass your info on to me mate who has a 200mm Rvk which is a loud bastard, tar!

This is pretty much what I did as well. The problem is most of the sound doesn't come from the actual fan, it comes from the 'wooshing' sound of the air being moved.