Grow Tents

elvie

Hi all :)

I went for a green qube tent and having started to put it together, all poles are in but it's wobbly. Is that normal? I had assumed that once all connected poles and strengthening cross-pieces are in that it would be rigid. Should I be sending it back?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

@Flax   What do you mean by wobbly? An empty tent doesn't weigh much. It'll soon change once a fan and filter is hanging.

The frame is up, I haven't put the tent on it yet. The frame is wobbly. I thought when all connected it would be rock solid, but if I push it wobbles. 

• Like 1

is it on a level floor? As long as it is, put the material around the frame and zip it up and it should be fine. Just don't rush it because that's how you get rips.

• Like 1

I know what you mean but yea put the whole thing together and it will be fine just the frame connected together on its own with no tent cover will seem wobbly once it’s all together it will be fine :) 

• Like 1

@Flax

let me know how it is when it’s all together tents can be fiddly, I found this out when I first put my tent up it done my head in I got my missus to help lol 

Being a green qube and having thicker poles it should be nice and sturdy when together 

happy growing :D 

4 hours ago, _Jamie_ said:

@Flax

let me know how it is when it’s all together tents can be fiddly, I found this out when I first put my tent up it done my head in I got my missus to help lol 

Being a green qube and having thicker poles it should be nice and sturdy when together 

happy growing :D 

Thanks @_Jamie_ I know exactly what you mean about them being fiddly, more for me because of how bl00dy heavy it is! I hadn't bargained on that! I've got to wait till I have a visitor I don't mind knowing what I'm up to to help me put the damn thing together. Not so stealthy now eh lol

Once the fan, filter, lights are hanging from the top it should be sturdy. When I put mine up even when the pins are locked, it does move and bend slightly. I think it's good if it has a bit of give though. You'll see the difference once you've put some weight in it. Just remember it will be top heavy with equipment hanging from it so watch if you need to move around the base (I'm limited in space so have to crawl around and behind it to get to the rear) that you don't knock it at the bottom and tip it too much as it will go over pretty quickly. Last thing you want is your light getting smashed. The worst part I found was connecting the filter and ducting at the top of the tent but I'm only 40x40cm so there just about enough room to fit my hands in there, never mind my head to see what I'm doing. I found the rope ratchets helpful for that as I devised a pulley system to crank it into place.

Once you've got the pots in there full of soil and some phat plants it will stabilise the bottom + heaters, humidifiers or anything else sitting on the floor of the tent.

If you have everything in there and you see it bending or moving too much, it might be an issue with the poles but I think you'll be fine. I'm using a cheap tent and it's pretty sturdy so a brand make should be fine. The worst thing I've experienced was moving the fucker. Had to do it a few times for various reasons. Got quite efficient at it but it sucks massively. One of the times I dropped the filter and bent the flange when it hit one of the poles. Luckily the flange bent in and not out otherwise it would have fucked a brand new expensive filter!

Good luck with it. Once it's up you'll get a nice sense of achievement.

9 minutes ago, FatBoy77 said:

I had a cheapo one to begin with and built a wooden frame inside it. Lasted me half a decade, no dramas. 

That is a good idea. I might try this with the new tent I'm getting.

17 hours ago, Flax said:

Hi all :)

I went for a green qube tent and having started to put it together, all poles are in but it's wobbly. Is that normal? I had assumed that once all connected poles and strengthening cross-pieces are in that it would be rigid. Should I be sending it back?

Thanks

i use to have a 1m2 green qube thought is was wobbly too. wouldn't buy another or recommend 

If you use a pair of ratchet straps and some patience you will be able to get your fan up to height on your own :yep:  attach them roughly where you want it clip or tie to the fan and find something to stand on let the ropes take the weight for you and just tighten up few clicks at a time until your at the top. I cable tie my fan up so there's a little bit of a gap so it doesn't vibrate the tent but it's really easy just join 2 or 3 together and use like that 1 on either side of the fan once it's cable tied up there losely you can take the ratchets off and adjust how you would like it before tightening up. Or you could just have the fan outside of the tent doesn't need to be in there if it's too much like hard work for you just don't put yourself through that and have it outside the tent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jack71 said:

i use to have a 1m2 green qube thought is was wobbly too. wouldn't buy another or recommend 

If green cube is similar to lighthouse, they probably have a lightweight and heavy duty version at different price points. My heavy duty lighthouse is awesome. The lightweight one would require support to hang filters and things from.

1 minute ago, FatBoy77 said:

If green cube is similar to lighthouse, they probably have a lightweight and heavy duty version at different price points. My heavy duty lighthouse is awesome. The lightweight one would require support to hang filters and things from.

I got a greenqube 1.2 and it easily supports all lights, 8" fan and carboair filter, no wobble. Standard tent not heavy duty. 

HTH 

Obie