Variacs

Rastajedi

Hogger can u plz point me in the right direction to a thread with info for a temp controlled dual variac with 3 settings plz sorry to be a pain

hi @@pcp420

theres a few with twin basic controllers, theres that many of them but heres Rastajedi's & Daftskunk's & my first Twin controller based on Rastajedi's build.

but if its just the one fan & you want a basic controller, look for my basic controller.

if your wanting a controller with a built in thermostat, then look at Laphroaigs excellent single variac auto controller build Here & Heres Lobo's build.

heres a few other excellent builds using two variacs, Clay Davis build, Eader's build, Mooker's build.

• Like 1

Lovely cheers mate think im gona follow clays as im gonna be using the atc. dont think il be doing it till the next go round now but the hum from my sms is doing my head in its the only thing I can hear from outside the room lol.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i currently use a single variac 2 speed controller but had the following idea and need to bounce it off people who understand relays better than me lol.

so to start a wire tap can be soldered onto a variac at any fixed position giving a set voltage so if i put 1 at approx 90% and 1 at approx 30% and set my variable tap between the 2 say 60% what i want to happen is this fan runs on variable tap i.e.60% if temp goes up switches to tap at 90% temp goes down switches back to variable tap at 60% but if temp continues to drop atc uses heating mode to drop to variac tap at 30%.

i think that made sense if anyone who knows there way round a relay would mind drawing me a quick circuit diagram (with the type of relay used on it) add much appreciate it

cheers

i currently use a single variac 2 speed controller but had the following idea and need to bounce it off people who understand relays better than me lol.[/size]so to start a wire tap can be soldered onto a variac at any fixed position giving a set voltage so if i put 1 at approx 90% and 1 at approx 30% and set my variable tap between the 2 say 60% what i want to happen is this fan runs on variable tap i.e.60% if temp goes up switches to tap at 90% temp goes down switches back to variable tap at 60% but if temp continues to drop atc uses heating mode to drop to variac tap at 30%.[/size]i think that made sense if anyone who knows there way round a relay would mind drawing me a quick circuit diagram (with the type of relay used on it) add much appreciate it[/size]cheers[/size]

rastajedi has a circiit diagram at the start of this thread.

Atb

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I'm having a dickens of a time wiring my Variac, could any of you electrical geniuses help please? It's a 3 terminal RRTW, please click on the links for pics

Edited by Joolz

@@Secret-squirrel mate welcome to the site & all that but you need to edit your pics out of your post, your not allowed to link to any photo hosting sites for your own security,

if you need to add pics to your posts, you need to open a gallery on uk420 & upload your pics direct to the site, then once thats done, its easy to add the pics to posts.

as for your variac, im not 100% sure as you'll need a better pic of the label to make sure, whats the make of the variac anyway ?

but it looks to me like (starting from the left contact) edited to double check, tho dont quote me on that lol

Edited by Joint hogger
  • Like 1

Oh ok sorry, I have tried to upload the to a gallery, but I'm using my iPhone and can't seem to do it? My Variac is made by Reo and is an RRTW M3

@@Secret-squirrel

found it, this is the first time i've seen a reo variac & i'm found the pdf's on them tho theres not much available info on them,

as for the wiring, im sure its left to right, L - Combined in & out neutral, M - Live in & R - Live Variable out, (is there any markings on the 3 screw terminals ?)

tho i'd wait for someone more knowledgable than me like one of the Sparks like @@Davey Jones, hopefully if he see's the diagram. he'll know for sure :yep:

can you take a few more clearer shots if you can ? cheers

atb JH

forgot to add PDF for the RRTW M3z HERE

& if your using Lucas female crimps, you'll need the 6.3mm crimps,also, what size of fan are you going to be using with the variac ?

Edited by Joint hogger
  • Like 2

if he see's the diagram. he'll know for sure :yep:

Its a pretty shit diagram

@@Secret-squirrel are the terminals labeled?, like 1.1, 1.2 and other absurd notation?

Looking at the diagram you need neutral to 1.2, live to 1.1 and you variable output goes to 2.1, but the diagrams show the same connection for a 260V output, its just WTF!

Need a picture up to be ables to advise

:yinyang:
  • Like 1

thanks for your help chaps sorry its taken me so long to reply. I've uplioaded better pictures to my gallery (i hope).

i'm using an 8" rvk

Edited by Secret-squirrel