Variacs

Rastajedi

heres a side by side comparison.

gallery_36349_2174_168991.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_112418.jpg

& heres a spec chart for the 0.75A to the 2A open AE - Ravi variacs.

gallery_36349_2174_25545.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

if anyones following my diagrams on how to wire a 2A variac, please ignore connecting the Earth to the fixed contact mounting point

on the back of the variac, i fucked up ! to make amends, heres the correct way to wire things up in the V2 diagram.

gallery_36349_2174_60727.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Is it really cheaper to make your own fan controller given the price of variacs plus enclosure etc. not to mention man hours? I'm an electrician so putting it all together would be no problem but I'm sure I could pick up something new for around £100??

Is it really cheaper to make your own fan controller given the price of variacs plus enclosure etc. not to mention man hours? I'm an electrician so putting it all together would be no problem but I'm sure I could pick up something new for around £100??

Excellent, please let us know where you can get a variac fully assembled controller for about £100?

:ouch:

• Like 1

if its a basic controller with a 2A open variac, you'll need a suitable enclosure box, 2 cable glands, some 1.5mm 3 core,

1 plug, 1 trailing socket & a few 2A fuses (25.4mm fuses), you could build it for between £70 & £80 :yes:

if you want to add a temp controller & a suitable relay, you'll need another £35-£40 to put together a temp controlled 2 setting fan controller :yep:

• Like 1

Excellent, please let us know where you can get a variac fully assembled controller for about £100?

:ouch:

Forgive me if I'm getting wrong idea about these controllers but I have found an online retailer that are selling a 2.2A variac controller in enclosure for £62,92 in VAT. Maybe its not the same as the controllers you guys are talking about? I know it doesn't have a temp stat on it but still that cheap isn't it? don't know the rules but I'm guessing we cannot post links on here....

Hi boddah, The only assembled Variacs i have ever found are the air force ones the sc and scs range which are not made anymore.

I don't know of any others . I am of course talking about plug and play stuff here. (no assembly required).

Also i'm sorry if my earlier post came across in the wrong way. All the best with it boddah. :)

• 9 months later...

Great thread, hat's off to all the contibutors :yep:

I'm getting together the bits needed for a single (I think) temp controlled variac, but here is where I'm getting confused - if I have a heater (120W tube heater), one fan (KSA 5") and the thermostat (ATC-800+) then when the temp hits my max setting the fan will come on at 100% yes? I really don't want this as my fan on full power will be too much.

Do I need one variac for the low setting and one for the high setting? Or are two variacs needed for 2 fans only?

Sorry for the n00b questions, reading all I can I'm still cabbaged about what options I have, any help would be brilliant!

Great thread, hat's off to all the contibutors :yep:

I'm getting together the bits needed for a single (I think) temp controlled variac, but here is where I'm getting confused - if I have a heater (120W tube heater), one fan (KSA 5") and the thermostat (ATC-800+) then when the temp hits my max setting the fan will come on at 100% yes? I really don't want this as my fan on full power will be too much.

Do I need one variac for the low setting and one for the high setting? Or are two variacs needed for 2 fans only?

Sorry for the n00b questions, reading all I can I'm still cabbaged about what options I have, any help would be brilliant!

You could use an auto-transformer (a switched variac) to set the fan to two different speeds, depending on how you wire it.

For example, mine runs at 100% (240V) when the thermostat switches on, and whatever I've set the dial at when the temperature is ok. (currently about 50%, 120V)

You could wire it so that it runs at 50% when the 'stat is off and 80% (or whatever you choose) when the 'stat switches on.

Variacs give you finer control, but you will need two if you want a maximum speed other than 100%.

Auto-transformers are slightly cheaper and give you the option of switching between two lower settings.

:afro2: Natty

Edited by NattyFido2

why will the fan be too much ?

is it because of the noise of the fan at 100% or do you have a 5" filter (generally rated at 500 m3/hr) ?

• Like 1

You could use an auto-transformer (a switched variac) to set the fan to two different speeds, depending on how you wire it.

For example, mine runs at 100% (240V) when the thermostat switches on, and whatever I've set the dial at when the temperature is ok. (currently about 50%, 120V)

You could wire it so that it runs at 50% when the 'stat is off and 80% (or whatever you choose) when the 'stat switches on.

Variacs give you finer control, but you will need two if you want a maximum speed other than 100%.

Auto-transformers are slightly cheaper and give you the option of switching between two lower settings.

:afro2: Natty

Cheers Natty, I've been thinking about this and I could do a single temp controled variac, but have the 'fan/cooling' output to the ATC-1 I already use, then I can atleast step it down to setting 3 of 4 and seeif I need to open up the fan full if thigs get too hot over the summer. This next grow will be flowering in June/July.

The night/day variac does sound sweet but maybe that's for the next upgrade as I get my head around what I need to personally monitor and control.

why will the fan be too much ?

is it because of the noise of the fan at 100% or do you have a 5" filter (generally rated at 500 m3/hr) ?

The noise mostly, although I hope to replace 2 bendy sections of duct with plastic, or metal elbow pieces to reduce noise as these are problem areas when on full power (setting 4 of 4 on the ATC-1. The filter is 5", yes.

it is possible to get 3 speeds out of one variac but it involves soldering on a live tap at the 70-75% mark, to give low, 70-75% & 100% full power,

but to attempt this, you need to know what your doing, or if your less confident, you can go down the 2 variac route & with the help of a relay,

you'll get your 3 speeds.

• Like 1