Variacs

Rastajedi

2 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

get the red crimp rings as they're for 1mm - 1.5mm cable thickness's, the blue rings are for 1.5mm - 2.5mm cables & lastly, the yellow rings are for 4mm - 6mm cables,

on my 2A variac pics above, I used a yellow ring just to illustrate where the Earth connects onto the metal holding bracket, I used a red crimp ring.

also somelad, just incase you dont have a crimp ratchet, you can do the crimps with needle nose pliers if you have them.

i was planning on wiring it up with 2.5mm 3 core flex, or am i better off just using 1.5mm 3 core flex. thanks somelad :smokin:

yes, just use 1.5mm 3 core cable & dont forget to get some 2A fuses too, one in your power in plug & another in your fans plug, just incase the variac ever has a power surge.

• Like 1

hi @Joint hogger just a quick question my variac has only got terminals on, c,e,a. so to wire it for 240v it would be live in to c, neutral in/out to a, and live out to e. and earth it using the screw holding the front plate on, thanks somelad:yinyang:

yes thats right, 240v Live in to C, combine your in & out Neutral, the variable Live out goes to E, as for fitting an Earth, unscrew the two screws & gently lift the connector plate off,

be careful as there's a few cables underneath it, when fitting the Earth remember to scrape off some of the paint on the metal bracket.

• 1 year later...

I'm in the process of making a new controller, where is the best place to buy a Variac from online today. Since Maplin went bust and since the takeover/acquisition it appears they no longer stock them. Ideally wanting to pick up a 2A version.

34 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

£50 on ebay for a 2A Ravi variac.

I dont suppose you have a link, nothing came up when I searched.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 1:55 AM, Joint hogger said:

Do a search for - RAVI 2F-1

Thanks JH.

Had to do a Google search to find the eBay listing as they didn't deliver to my location which is why I couldn't find it. All sorted out though, thanks very much for the help.

Edited by Foghorn J. Leghorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joint hogger said:

theres wiring guides/pics in the diy section to help you out if you need it.

I should be okay but will take a peek if I get stuck. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for jumping on to a older thread but could do with a variac thermostat setup help if possible 

Edited by Tornado

• 3 months later...