Variacs

Rastajedi

have been running the variac for last 4 days with very regular checks on the heat being produced by the wires which is non resistant I've got it in a different socket now so maybe the other caused some issue. Going to test it with clamp meter tomorrow, been to busy to pick one up yet [hides face in shame] update results then.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi hoping I can grab a little advice Guys,

I made a Controller sometime back using the standard issue type Thermostat and Relay for Switching with no real problems.

I have now made a more Powerful one using 1x 5 Amp Variac and a Danfoss 230p and I'm having issues getting it to Switch too 100% on demand!,All I'm currently getting is when on Demand/Call for Heat as it were It'll Switch to the set Power on the Variac but when the Thermostat Switches off I get nothing.

I would like for it to be the other way round i,e when the Thermostat has no Demand it'll Leave the Variac to Control the Fan at what ever setting I choose and when the Temp setting is breached it'll Switch to 100%.

I've tried to get My Head around it and not being a Sparky I'm struggling but I'm guessing it's because I'm not using 2 X Variacs and not having the 2 Output to the Stat!.

I'm hoping it's just a case of sending a 240v Feed from the Variac too the "Spare" Input on the Stat so that I get Full Speed when the Temp Range is breached ?

:yinyang:

Edited by Swiftygreen

look on the stat diagram, the common should go to the fan... then the normally closed output should go to the variac and the normally open to the mains 240v feed like you say... if this works back to front, i.e. fast when cold slow when hot, just swap the variac and mains feed around

• Like 1

look on the stat diagram, the common should go to the fan... then the normally closed output should go to the variac and the normally open to the mains 240v feed like you say... if this works back to front, i.e. fast when cold slow when hot, just swap the variac and mains feed around

Thanks for your reply fella just caught this before I go to tackle the problem.

I have the Common wired to the Fan no problem and the Variable Feed from the Variac to number either 1 or 2 Can't remember for Sure...all I'm getting atm is Variac Speed when the Stat is operated and when it's not I get nothing

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=456610

Think I already had a rough idea of what was wrong and now I think I'm good with your input making things clearer :guitar:

I'll go and sort it out now hopefully

:yinyang:

Edited by Swiftygreen

yeah, you just need to take the mains to the stat, otherwise it's just switching over to an empty terminal!

All sorted,

I already Had a 13 Amp Fused Live too the Stat I just missed putting the 240v Live from the Variac and once I did that I had to Switch them round like You mentioned

Happy Days = Happier Girls in these freezing conditions thanks for your time again :B):

• 1 month later...

hi guys sorry but this may sound a stupid question but as i get closer to the day i start growing more amore Q keep coming in my head and i guess now is the time to ask rather than when disaster occurs,so ......

just read ing about tents and opening them for whatever reason hence losing negative pressure and having a smell leak,My Q is if you are running the fan via a variac and it is running at its pre chosen lower voltage,hence lower extraction rate,can you just turn up the variac to 100% while the tent is open then do wot u gorra do ,,close tent re-set variac. Is this ok.

again sorry if i sound dumb as f***,which i am of course but this will help me and maybe any other noobs reading this invaluable thread..

Tnx Mr D

if your using any clip on fans, it helps if theyre blowing away from the door & away from any passive vents,

otherwise you will get smell leaks.

as for turning up the variac to open the tent door, i used to turn my variac upto about 70% but my tent

was in a large cupboard & i could close the cupboard door to stop any smell leaks going into my flat.

if your using any clip on fans, it helps if theyre blowing away from the door & away from any passive vents,

otherwise you will get smell leaks.

as for turning up the variac to open the tent door, i used to turn my variac upto about 70% but my tent

was in a large cupboard & i could close the cupboard door to stop any smell leaks going into my flat.

Nice one JH,think i said before you and the other guys scrag,dan,laph...,ras.. are the kind of peeps that make this site,tnx again you lot

Edited by mrdeg

Nice one JH,think i said before you and the other guys scrag,dan,laph...,ras.. are the kind of peeps that make this site,tnx again you lot

I'm not worthy! I'm just a n00blet too, Scraglor, Davey J, et al taught me everything. They showed me the light. Any good I do is just a dim reflection of their brilliance. But thank you very much for the compliment, it means allot to me.

Peace

• Like 1

same here with me, if it wasnt for scraglor & rastajedi's help/advice, i'd still have a jump jet running in my tent :wink:

• Like 2