Variacs

Rastajedi

• 1 month later...

I thought I had replied to this lol

Thanks chaps it's all wired correctly and working (sort of).

For some reason the t6360b thermostat keeps kicking the fan in at around 18-20 deg? I've tried turning the temp to '0' and then up slowly, but the fan keeping kicking in to full speed around 20 deg. And I've set the temp to 28 deg, but the fan goes full throttle as soon as I switch the variac on?

Any ideas guys? I'm going mad.

Oh yeah I'm using 3 core but have read and followed the instructions on here, I've also tried wiring the t6360 with terminal No.4 instead of No.3, but that makes the fan run on full power until I turn the thermostat dial past the current room temp.

it might be because your using 3 core cable, ideally, you should use 4 core cable with the T6360.

• Like 1

it might be because your using 3 core cable, ideally, you should use 4 core cable with the T6360.

So I just need to earth it? As that's the only wire missing

Oh yeah and I'm using the L version of the 8"

Edited by Secret-squirrel

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had replied to this lol

Thanks chaps it's all wired correctly and working (sort of).

For some reason the t6360b thermostat keeps kicking the fan in at around 18-20 deg? I've tried turning the temp to '0' and then up slowly, but the fan keeping kicking in to full speed around 20 deg. And I've set the temp to 28 deg, but the fan goes full throttle as soon as I switch the variac on?

Any ideas guys? I'm going mad.

Oh yeah I'm using 3 core but have read and followed the instructions on here, I've also tried wiring the t6360 with terminal No.4 instead of No.3, but that makes the fan run on full power until I turn the thermostat dial past the current room temp.

Have I got this right your variac works when you go past the max temp and full power when it,s below min temperature?

Coconut

Edited by Coconut

• 2 months later...

Do variacs (ravistat 2f-1 type) need to be in a metal (grounded) housing? I've got IP60-something rated plastic housings for mine - wondering if the variac frame needs to be earthed or something like that

connecting live neutral and passthrough for output earth i got no problem but i worry that the frame of the variac and thus stuff close to the bakelite dial i turn is live lol

Edited by CaptainStoner

no it doesn't need to be in a metal housing tho you DO need to wire the earth to the mounting bracket on the variac, here's a few pics to show you how to do it.

2A - updated earth 1.JPG

-

2A - updated earth 2.JPG

-

2A - updated earth 3.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 27/02/2011 at 3:01 PM, SexiSarh said:

As promised guys the photos of my finished: Thermostat controlled, 2 speed fan controller - You can set one dial to 40% for example and if the GR gets hotter than you have set your thermostat, then it switches to dial 2's setting e.g. 70% to cool it down then switches back to 40%.So to summarise, parts were easy to source, putting everything together was a dodle the only stumbling blocks were the wiring for me and not knowing the correct thermostat to buy so my points of advice for others would be.

• Make sure the Thermostat is a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw)- I went through 4 Thermostats trying to get the right one!
  • I have made some notes to the OP's wiring diagram (I mistook the Power in for Fan socket power!) - Bloody stoneres!

• Just a note my Thermostat has 5 contacts (That's why I have 4 cables leaving the box) 2 go to the Thermostat)
  • My Live went to Output in the end and my Neutral to Input - Not sure why but otherwise 0% was full and 100% was no power???

Anyway apart from the above minor hitches I really enjoyed making this and think it will improve my GR greatly.
https://www.uk420.com/boards//boards/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-59510-0-42242300-1298818879.jpg

My Klimavator conked out recently and am going to build a dual variac, thermostatic controller.

It seems though that most designs use a relay, but this one does not, the last picture in the above[1]. The relay is accommodated by the thermostat itself, I think. Is this right?

Sexisarh had all sorts of problems, including smoke, so just want to make sure

[1] This editor just is not working, can't get images to post it seems. This might work? wiring.JPG

Edited by SamBell