Variacs

Rastajedi

Guest Where Angels Play

That would be perfect hoes,you could run both fans off the one variac.

I would try to get a new one personaly but that's just me.

These things are harder to find than I thought haha! Especially new ones (or they are pretty expensive)...

I'm going to give the company I found a 2.4A one a call to see if they are new, which I doubt :(

Thank you all for your replies :)

I just searched for variable transformer and had a lot more results.

I would like you guys' help to choose form what I have found though. Also, do I need to look at KVA or A simply? I'm thinking the amperage rating only so i'm gonna post the one that made more sense to me.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/STACO-ENERGY-033-0155-VARIABLE-TRANSFORMER-120V-0-132V-/400040894984?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d244ba208#ht_1382wt_1163

Would 1.75A be alright for my 0.7A fan? Also it's the only variacs new I found yet... Tell me what you think!

Thanks.

Thanks bluecheese1!

I'm about to order it, but i'm not seeing any dial on it... Can I just use pliers to adjust it or buy a dial somewhere?

Howdy peeps,

Thinking of attempting a two speed type build with thermostat to control a 10" in and 12" out both fans amp rating max is 1.85 should I get 2 amp variacs or 3 amp? also is it right if you have an SPDT type stat you dont need a relay? and one last thing which is the best thread for this type of build? cheers Bredren. Oh and Hoes if ya still around cracker = a product or thing of high quality :wassnnme:

the 2A has just Ampage but i'd go with a 3A if the price isnt much more (£42 or £50) & as theyre big fans your using, have you thought about building 2 basic controllers instead of one combined controller ?

Howdy peeps,

Thinking of attempting a two speed type build with thermostat to control a 10" in and 12" out both fans amp rating max is 1.85 should I get 2 amp variacs or 3 amp? also is it right if you have an SPDT type stat you dont need a relay? and one last thing which is the best thread for this type of build? cheers Bredren. Oh and Hoes if ya still around cracker = a product or thing of high quality :wassnnme:

Hi Bredren,

A 3amp will be fine, I dont know what thermostat your using but the one i used to build the original controller in this thread did the job sweet (page 3) heres a basic wiring diagram you need to follow if you use that particular stat (sunvic room thermostat tlx 4101) just make sure terminal 2 is your fan output (middle)

post-17230-0-50889700-1330950377_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I just received my variacs, I am looking for some help to wire that thing up to my 120V 6" fan.

Pictures are attached.

I guess i'm going to have to cut the fan's power cable to wire it?

Thanks for your future help :notworthy:

post-70970-0-71750500-1331758759_thumb.jpg

post-70970-0-92809100-1331758764_thumb.jpg

post-70970-0-13317800-1331758769_thumb.jpg

post-70970-0-15203800-1331758773_thumb.jpg

3 is your variable live output

2 and 1 your mains live in (+ and - )

If you find the variacs work the opposite way around then simply switch 1 and 2 around...

I think... cant be bang on without a diagram but judging by the wire mounts Id say thats it

atb :)

Edited by Rastajedi

Guest Where Angels Play

You don't attach your fan directly to your variac hoes,you connect an extention socket to the variacs output.

Your version of this

31E%2Bd253XYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have a double wired up so I can just plug another fan in/out as and when I want to.

So I would need to buy wires, connect them to my variac and then put them in the top hole of the extension socket and then just plug in my fan in there?

What kind of wires do you suggest?

Also, should I wait to have them in the enclosure before having them work? Are they any dangerous?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Edited by Hoes call me santa

Also, should I wait to have them in the enclosure before having them work? Are they any dangerous?

Seriously Hoes, you are scaring the shit out of me if that's a genuine question. I don't want to be down on you but if you haven't already caught onto the fact that electricity can kill you or burn your house down please do not attempt this. Before they are powered up the variacs need to be securely mounted and enclosed, the external cables secured using cable glands and internally possibly clips to prevent them coming into contact with the moving arms of the variacs. Electrical connections need to be good and tight or else they can cause fire. Your variacs come with spade connectors so you will need some female spade crimp connectors and a crimping tool to ensure that the connections are good. It's also prudent to use inline fuse holders with quick blow fuses rated at the same amps as your variacs to protect both your live and neutral mains supply.

What kind of wires do you suggest?

It's the amps you should be looking at, good news is that practically any standard electrical flex should be quite adequate, just look at what you have already, perhaps even snip an inch or so off the end of the flex attached to your fan and take it down to the hardware store if you aren't sure.

Please be careful.

Peace