Variacs

Rastajedi

[*]My Live went to Output in the end and my Neutral to Input - Not sure why but otherwise 0% was full and 100% was no power???

looking at your diagram, i think you mean, neutral ended up on live, and live on neutral, not neutral on input and live on output. the output is the terminal you've labelled v, the input(s) are the live and neutral in.

i just wrote a post condeming your controller, until i thought better to check your terminology lol

when you turn the dial, it moves the out terminal, towards either the live or the neutral, so if the neutral is on the terminal at the 100% end of the dial, then obviously the variac will put out neutral voltage (i.e. no power) if the live is at the 100% end of the dial, then the variac will put out full mains voltage at 100% so depending on which way round you connect the live and neutral to the INPUTS, depends on which way round the variac works, simples

Edited by scraglor

trying to get an answer to this question so i've posted in in a few threads for coverage.

What do you think is controlling the fan speed. would it be a Variacs type. Has anyone used one of these types of fans and when the speed it turned down do they hum or make a racket

post-7514-0-00924800-1299028371_thumb.png

trying to get an answer to this question so i've posted in in a few threads for coverage.

What do you think is controlling the fan speed. would it be a Variacs type. Has anyone used one of these types of fans and when the speed it turned down do they hum or make a racket

I have 2 mate, never noticed any buzz but will check tonight for you. I only have the 4" though.

[*]My Live went to Output in the end and my Neutral to Input - Not sure why but otherwise 0% was full and 100% was no power???

looking at your diagram, i think you mean, neutral ended up on live, and live on neutral, not neutral on input and live on output. the output is the terminal you've labelled v, the input(s) are the live and neutral in.

i just wrote a post condeming your controller, until i thought better to check your terminology lol

when you turn the dial, it moves the out terminal, towards either the live or the neutral, so if the neutral is on the terminal at the 100% end of the dial, then obviously the variac will put out neutral voltage (i.e. no power) if the live is at the 100% end of the dial, then the variac will put out full mains voltage at 100% so depending on which way round you connect the live and neutral to the INPUTS, depends on which way round the variac works, simples

Hey mate, the diagram isn't mine it was OP's, yeah I basically swooped the live and neutral on the variac. Can't take any credit all copied from op'er and helped by ppl on here. Love it though. Want to make another!

I have 2 mate, never noticed any buzz but will check tonight for you. I only have the 4" though.

cheers sarh if you could it would be appreciated. i need to get something sorted quick time

Dont think a variac on a fan with built in controller would work,the reduced voltage from the variac may cause the voltage on the control electronics to drop below its operating range

Which type of Variacs are used

Open Type, Single Phase,

Closed Type, Single Phase

i need it to run a 6" rvk fan and filter

Im settled on doing a DIY variacs speed controller they sound the best way to go...But what i would like answering is the question above.

i don't want to buy the wrong type.

Which type of Variacs are used

Open Type, Single Phase,

Closed Type, Single Phase

i need it to run a 6" rvk fan and filter

Im settled on doing a DIY variacs speed controller they sound the best way to go...But what i would like answering is the question above.

i don't want to buy the wrong type.

Just checked eBay, I used 2x 230v 1amp variable transformer, single phase 0-270v. Open-flush panel mounting 1f-1 by ravi

Hth

Edited by SexiSarh

hi could anyone tell me if this variac will work as a fan controller. (www.claudelyons.co.uk/pdf/7.pdf) . Claude Lyons 38Y variable transformer 2.5A...

cheers sarh if you could it would be appreciated. i need to get something sorted quick time

Hey topo,

Turned it down last night and was fine, no hum, although mine Is only 4" remember! (so's my fan!) lol

• 1 month later...

Hey,

So I have only just got round to setting my "2 Speed" Variac Fan controller up (Switched by a Thermostat). It works perfect, except now I've tried running it for 30 mins or so and its getting red hot and smells of burning. Hopefully someone can point out where I'm going wrong.

LINK - This is a link to how I have done the wiring - however I also took a "Live" & "Neutral" from "L & N IN" that went to power the Therm.

Also I had to put the "live" & "neutral" the opposite way round as 100% was 0 power.

The Therm I used is posted on This page (6th post)

and this is how I wired it

"terminal 3 to the fan,1 to the output of 1 variac,2 to the other variac output,and live and neutral to live and neural from the power in "

Really want to get it up and running as it will be an amazing bit of kit.

Cheers for anyone looking in.

Ss.

post-59510-0-20855000-1304585490_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-95473000-1304585495_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-81630500-1304585500_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-38979300-1304585505_thumb.jpg

Edited by SexiSarh

hi sarah

sorry, i cant really help with any advice other than to say,

if theres a smell of burning then somethings been wired wrong,

have you had a look inside to see if theres any damage/burnt wiring ?

as for the variacs getting hot,my old maplins 0.75A variac did that with a 5" fan

but i changed the variac to the same 1A variacs as you, whats the size of your fan/s ?

also,i noticed you haven't used a relay with the stat ?

how does the state change the variac outputs without a relay ?

atb JH

ps, scraglors the man you need :wink:

Edited by Joint hogger