Trichoderma Harzianum & Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizas

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Nice one EM2 and distracted,

bugger, knew I shoulda got the other seaweed (there were 2 types of Maxicrop in the garden centre)
The one I have is extract not meal

How long before using the compost do you mix the seaweed meal and rockdust in? I'll have to get the local goat up to the garden centre again then

Thanx distracted re molasses; that bit should be easy then

Cheers,

Arbuscule

Edited by distracted

Sounds like you have the correct one Arbuscule,

Seaweed meal is for mixing into your compost several weeks before using and the liquid extract is for watering in and used when activating inoculants that contain fungal spores.

Felix.

Cheers Felix,

Next potting up I'm good to go then. Would you pre-mix the rock dust to the compost ready for potting up in a few days ?

Cheers,

Arbuscule

Anyone chaffing under the yoke of greedy cannaventurists maybe interested in growing their own Trichoderma H. In theory it's not difficult, all you need is some Potato Dextrose Agar, some petri dishes and some Trichoderma spores.

Voila

post-17084-1193500663_thumb.jpg

Dissolve some of the spores in chlorine free oxygenated water and suck em up into a small syringe

post-17084-1193500325_thumb.jpg

Squirt some on each dishes and swill it around so it covers the entire surface

post-17084-1193500530_thumb.jpg

Put lids back on and pop them in a warm dark place, check at regular interval I guess lol

post-17084-1193500971_thumb.jpg

I'll post some pictures in a weeks time.

Felix.

Ps. Yes Arbuscule it's a good idea to mix in the rockdust beforehand. :wink:

• Like 2

Guest dr rockster

Oh wow Felix,

takes me back to when we used to make/grow psychedelic mushrooms many of a moon ago.

Touch a birra trichoderma to the centre of an agar dish?

Watch the mycelial network grow and bloom?

This front seat fella is eagerly awatching! :wassnnme:

How do ya know they growing felix

Can you turn them into spores

You'll see EM2 :wink: , ever seen moldy bread ? That's what the surface should look like in a week or two. I hope :unsure:

Coz Felix is a clever chap! :wassnnme:

:nerd:

Nice one felix,

Missed this one yesterday;

Be watching with great interest.

Cheers for the tip on pre-mixing rockdust. Will look back at OT1's posts to figure the quantities.

Arbuscule

Nice one felix,

Cheers for the tip on pre-mixing rockdust. Will look back at OT1's posts to figure the quantities.

Arbuscule

if I read it correctly its 2 handfuls for 15 litres of compost

• Like 1

Ok day 1.

There is something stirring in the petri dish, it's like little blobs of jelly. Is it Trichoderma H or have I unleashed a terrible new plague upon the Earth :oldtoker:

post-17084-1193650542_thumb.jpg

post-17084-1193650584_thumb.jpg

post-17084-1193650895_thumb.jpg

Felix :yep:

Do you have a microscope?

I don't know the size of trichoderma. Pics of them online, can’t remember where I saw them make it look like an amoeba with little hair like appendages from on end, like an ovoid sputnik.

One thing for sure if you bubble inoculant containing for more than 24 hrs you end up with jelly like stuff all over the air stone, not that that means much.

Hi OT,

No I don't unfortunately, I've been looking at getting some sort of USB one I could hook up to my laptop but haven't settled on anything yet. It would have been interesting to post some microscopic pictures online but maybe after Christmas unless another member with a microscope is willing to give this a try, it's quite easy.

I've also noticed that jelly around the airstone and usually scrapped it off back into the inoculant, The bottle I use for brewing also has a layer of jelly around the inside that dries out between uses but rehydrates fairly quickly when water is poured back in for another brew. It might be interesting to try culturing that and seeing if it is bacterial or fungal ? This PDA seems to be mostly aimed at fungal propagation.

If this little experiment is successful I was thinking of growing some RootGrow maybe and also putting a section of root in one dish and seeing what fungi grew. Maybe also taking a very small sample of forest soil and culturing that ? :oldtoker:

e4 atrocious spelling :yep:

Edited by felix_dzerjinski
  • Like 1

I think it may have even been that image Billious that gave me the idea we could grow our own Trichoderma, that or something very much like it.