Trichoderma Harzianum & Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizas

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Thanks Tommy,

I'm going to do a DIY project to grow your own trichoderma, I'll have to wait for the petri dishes to turn up and then it's off to the lab...................

You have cleared things up for me there felix, Iam getting my AKTrivator friday (hopefully)

Do you just mix the spores with the rootgrow dry

in the planting hole

Pot on plant

Water

Easy

EM2

As OT says

Pirahna is 65 pound

Root grow is 12

Can't see AN selling very many

Its too expensive I used to be an AN man all the money I spent my god

All you need is Bio bizz grow bloom

Rootgrow

Inoculant

If I can do it any one can

EM2

then it's off to the lab...................

Hes a crazy micro biologist you know people

Bet felix is like that yakult geeza

Top up your good bacteria/fungus

EM2

I heard on here some where

AN are doing bottled tap water comeing soon

Ha ha ha ha ha

PS

Some mollasses is needed as well its about 1.40

AN do carboload an inferior product its 12 pound

The numbers speak for themselves

what if one were to use the piranah without the voodoo juice? is the rootgrow a voodoo juice substitute? if not, any idea what would be?

yours

suddenly concerned user of piranah

Apparently the two absolutely must best used in conjunction as there is an agent in the voodoo juice that stops several of the bacteria in the Piranah actually turning on the roots and gradually consuming them. You won't notice anything at first but the roots will be totally consumed.

:wink:

You'll be fine.

very funny senor science :wink: cheers maun, would you reccomend anything as a sub for rootjuice? im applying algamic frae biobiz in conjunction and just kind of reckoning - ach thats fine :rofl: need to order rock dust...

thanks again, sorry to hijack

:)

Hi,

I wonder if this link would be helpful, as it seems to infer that helpul fungus live on on old dead roots and can therefore be 'reactivated'. Anyway, thought that and the article generally would be of interest here.

Having said that, this is the first time I've ever posted a link so I'll feel a bit silly if no link appears here

http://biology.kenyon.edu/fennessy/SrexMarx/fonland.htm

Cheers 420,

Arbuscule

e2a Failed link; too tired to sort -will try tommorrow :yinyang:

Edited by oldtimer1

Interesting stuff......

Quoted from the text of that article.....anyone willing to try adding dried roots from your last grow to your soil mix?

Spores are just one of the possible infective VA mycorrhizal propagules. Infected root segments that have been dried and stored for as long as 6 months can infect new roots as well (Hayman 1983, Smith and Read 1997). When these root segments are placed in moist soil in close proximity to growing plant roots, new hyphae emerge from the inside of the old hyphal tubes in root segments. In some cases, old root segments may result in faster infection of plants than the addition of mycorrhizal spores, since root segments appear to produce new hyphae more quickly than spores can germinate (Hayman 1983). As described above, a third source of mycorhrizal infection is runner hyphae from plants with active mycorrhizal infection.

Guest dr rockster
Interesting stuff......

Quoted from the text of that article.....anyone willing to try adding dried roots from your last grow to your soil mix?

Spores are just one of the possible infective VA mycorrhizal propagules. Infected root segments that have been dried and stored for as long as 6 months can infect new roots as well (Hayman 1983, Smith and Read 1997). When these root segments are placed in moist soil in close proximity to growing plant roots, new hyphae emerge from the inside of the old hyphal tubes in root segments. In some cases, old root segments may result in faster infection of plants than the addition of mycorrhizal spores, since root segments appear to produce new hyphae more quickly than spores can germinate (Hayman 1983). As described above, a third source of mycorhrizal infection is runner hyphae from plants with active mycorrhizal infection.

I'm finding this very interesting as I've grown for quite a while but have never had a fungal infection(that I recognised as one)but have

just gotten my first it seems in my latest grow.

Time to do some learning up.

Great thread Felix. :yep:

Edited by dr rockster

Nice find Arbuscule,

If that works out and I have no reason to see why not we could start making our own RootGrow from the previous grows roots. That would certainly be an interesting development.

It's funny you should find that right now as I've just ordered a new Endo/Ecto Mycorrhizal inoculant and that is made from dried roots !!!!!!

Nice find man.

Glad the link was helpful (tho it didn't work at first untill OT1 waved something magical at it - so thank you OT1).

This thread is fascinating, thank you Felix for opening it.

Two further points struck me of interest in the article (I'd link straight to them if I knew how)

Firstly there's a confirmation here that VAM fungi increase nutrient uptake (in the last para). This would appear to gel with Felix's observation at the start of the thread that some plants appeared to show nute burn when introduced to trichoderma fungi.

The picture posted to demonstrate this was commented on by OT, who explained the role of VAM in aiding nutrient uptake. I think the same's happening with a couple of my seedlings, and this link helps to make further sense of it.

The second point from that link is that plants often seem to show 'an immune response to microrrhizal infection'.

Interesting stuff.

Anyone know more ?

Hope I've understood right over the nute burn stuff; if so, then this article in the link does seem to help explain it

Cheers all,

Arbuscule

VAM’s or endo and ecto mycorrhizae grow inside the plant and extend hypha into the soil ie they become part of the plant, extracting nutrients from the soil and transporting them to the plant, its like the plant having many more roots, they are not, the hypha are in addition the normal roots in turn the plant supplies the fungi with carbohydrates. Its a symbiotic relationship.

Trichoderma live on plant surfaces, they are more like a bacteria than fungi and pray on pathogenic fungi. So when they are colonised in the root zone they give protection against things like pythium etc. So there is no or little root loss due to pathogens. This will not cause a nutrient excess, neither will VAM’s.

• Like 2

Thank you OT1, I had probably misunderstood both some aspects af the article and of your earlier comments on Felix's photos :stoned:

My learner's error is to confuse enhanced nutrient uptake with nutrient burn. Quite probably the problem with two of my seedlings' leaves is unrelated to nutrients (they are in biobizz lightmix and have only had RO water).

My imagination was probably getting carried away when I envisioned the hyphae, like triffids, sucking every drop of nute out of lightmix (and out of the rootriot cubes they'd been in prior to that), with consequent burn.

Thank you for correcting my potentially misleading newby reflections

Arbuscule

Guest dr rockster

I find this fascinating oldtimer1,

do these beneficial fungi occur in many parts of an English garden,or forest or everywhere throughout plants in nature?

Or is it something(various plant fungi) taken from specific areas that certain plants grow in?

Nearly all plants have a Mycorrhizal relationship, in fact it is the odd plant out that doesn't

e2a: Doc the link Arbuscule posted has is a very good synopsis and there's a massive article here.

Edited by felix_dzerjinski