Grobag's Hash Thread

grobag

Butane doesn't wet material in the same way water does - crispy weed stays crispy, it's a bit weird! The dust and small bits of veg don't all clump up and stick (like bits of paper in papier mache) so the butane does maintain a better flow through the filter paper.

Good man, seems spot on re the flow as I got fed up waiting and hve just done it. Looks like everything's gone well. I used my alcohol filters in the end: I bought some cellulose sheeting for hospital beds (easier to find than coffee filters round here :rofl: ) thinking it might be better until I read on the packet that its 2 layers are glued together). But the alc filters, seriously finer than coffee ones, worked just a treat and noting that even the man himself resorts to doubling up filters and the like, possibly they are to be recommended. Going to buy myself a thermos flask and a fat cork for the next lot: like that I could shake the gear up a lot more while it's soaking.

Results pic when ready: going go for crystals methinks..... fed up with sticky stuff :doh::D

Thanks for the help, Sin H... the boss'll probably give you heaps of praise when he gets in :D And thanks for the thread boss!

(Rather greenish) honey oil, here we go

;) !TILT! :stoned:

where as BHO is close to pure THC.

Read this elsewhere too, maybe from you yourself Sir Grobag, but am hoping not the case, as I'm about to butane a load of weed and trim that has had all the resin and therefore I assume most of the THC already iced off it. And I seem to vaguely remember that was the starting point of your other thread, with bubbled trim, so you must expect to get something else out after the THC is mainly extracted. So I'm hoping it's going to get all the other cannaboids that are still trapped somewhere in the plant material, That I can imagine will do the works especially with weed together. As you haven't taken a peek yet at my wierd "cafetière" boss.... I'm tempted to post it here too but it's not that pretty :D so please do take a peek boss please boss too kind bla bla boss, 'cause I'm about to blow my cans so to speak... or maybe you did as you seem to have been all over the place today but thought maybe to scent a troll skirmish brewing and decided outski was more prudent, but don't worry, boss, I won't rise to the bait :D I haven't just learnt a lot about oil (and hash, just for the record) reading your pages :wink: so please come on round soon it's dead cosy nowtoadays really and I've even managed to keep it envy-troll-free for a good while :rofl: and I put up the hash pics I couldn't pot you in the PM and have just done a load more with really good results. And when you have time of course I would greatly appreaciate your comments on my experiments since you last dropped by. When you have time of course :D as you must be a busy man, not through having to reply to so many queries but having to consume all this gear you've been making, 'cause if there's one thing that has become particularly obvious after reading your threads is that you, like myself but unlike a lot of peeps posting here , actually produce quite a lot of gear and consume it, even if the bro helps you out every now and again :spliff: You are your own main tester, as I mine... hard work, isn't it? :stoned: Particularly touched to see the pack oif Smoking Black: quite the job for prolonged testing, niet? :smoke:

Good man, good thread, haven't finished it yet but look forward to the rest. One question: for BHO, if my filter is so fine that it'll take maybe half an hour for the butane to go through, should I maybe rather insulate the whole works to slow down evaporation rather than putting hot water underneath?

Thanks, :guitar: Tilt! :guitar:

Hi Tilt

Full respect to you by the way. B) I'm sorry but I've not been around as much as I should, plus I've not been following the subjects close to my heart as I used to - Don't worry, I've had a full reprimand and will endeavour to make amends.

Your threads I have followed, as they are the way that I think I need to focus my attentions, I'm just so bad with names that when I replied to your PM and lost my full answer losing my connection, I just made a token effort that does not relay my respect for what you've been doing and I regret that.

So...I'll not make a full answer here and now, as there are a few aspects I need to experiment with and come to my own conclusions. It's with previous posts of yours that I make reference, rather than the one I've quoted. I think that we may have some fruitful conversations in the future. At least I hope so and that I have not been an asshole ignoring you when that was not the case at all, I've just been slack.

But with reference to the current point in hand...bubled trim:

You refer to This pinned Thread with your question I think. The comment you quote doesn't quite tie in. Yes butane does extract all THC if brewed for enough time (ie steeped in a liquid fashion in the coffee pot for ten mins when dried, ground trim is used), but I am refering to oiling bubbled trim as you say. When bubbling I take the assumption that people bubble the same way as me and the guide follows as such. Even though you do not use bubble bags, the results are just the same in that we end up with the same kind of waste for re-drying for the secondary oiling process. We freeze the trim to start with and effectively knock off the capitate galnds to make our hash, irrespective of our methods. The point in oiling the remains after this is to (I make the assumption) get the resin from the stalks under the capitate heads and the stalked resin glands which never have heads. All I know for certain is that after you bubble trim, if you dry it out and oil it you will get about the same weight again in oil as you did in bubble. I know that's quite a claim but try it yourself. Bare in mind that when I bubble I use a wooden spoon instead of an electric mixing device like a drill n paddle or a food mixer. This way I get purer hash (FMCD) and don't worry about missing everything as I oil it afterwards. From the pictures I've posted though you can see that there are no capitate heads left by the time I oil the remains.

So yes, oiling does remove all THC but that's the point. That is why it is best to oil the remains after bubbling; because bubbling leaves lots behind still.

That is the point you were asking about wasn't it?

I'm gonna read your thread throroughly from start to finish again, try it myself more and then make some proper comments as I think your methods of bubbling have their merits over the current bubble bag trend. My main thoughts are on the turpines but that is only because that's a phrase banded about. All I know for certain is that hash made by your method makes a tastier hash and one that is also more rounded and robust. In short - one I prefer. No matter how much I make it though, I still don't really know why it is better. Looking at new machines and their blurb such as The King Of Nepal (TKON), (kind of a nemesis of mine that I respect - only cos he shouted at Owd and I for a while at the last Expo without us being able to say anything; his methods are sound if extremely expensive! - and he's an American that shouts a lot.) they reckon it's the turpines but I have an inkling there's more to it.

Cheers mate and I'll reply in your thread in due course; properly. I'm gonna be adding again to this thread before Christmas. I've been doing a few bits and bobs but I'm sorting a current jobby for hashing which will be ready soon, plus a new grow for me indoors starting now, so I'm afraid experimentation will be fewer and further between than before. But then again, these are my first grows on my own for about 8 years as I've been growing with my brother in that time. Come spring I'll be all go and will be right on the case here again with all sorts. Until then I will be running with the odd experiment on little bits.

Cheers for all the comments everyone. :yep:

Gro

post-5967-1186226908.gif

All I know for certain is that after you bubble trim, if you dry it out and oil it you will get about the same weight again in oil as you did in bubble..... All I know for certain is that hash made by your method makes a tastier hash and one that is also more rounded and robust. In short - one I prefer. No matter how much I make it though, I still don't really know why it is better.

What a nice start to my day :D Thanks for your proclamations of interest and repsect: mutual, I assure you :stoned:

Here some humble pics of my first BHO made in the Grobag fashion:

post-10446-1223385830_thumb.jpgpost-10446-1223385837_thumb.jpg

2 lots each done with about half an ounce of already iced and then redried bud and trim and one can of 250 ml. each. Doesn't seem to be a great amount but you can never tell til you gather it all together. Being impatient and greedy I tried it of course already after the first purge :spliff: with still a nasty butane smell around the vap dish but it certainly does the business. Seems a bit greenish but I don't think it's contamination 'cause the filter I used is ultra fine, but to be honest I guess it must be contamination as cannabis resin is rarely green :rofl: The first lot on the left seems to have produced more oil which is strange as it's from material that I'd iced really hard, getting an amazing 50+gm. of good resin out of 700 gm. fresh weed (pics later in my thread linked below) so I can't believe there was much resin or THC left in it.... but there you go, one is constantly and mainly pleasantly surprised in this business. Got a lot of redried weed to work with but don't think I can expect to get the same weight out in oil, Gro, much as I'd like to believe it. That's maybe just because of your second affirmation above, i.e. that my sedimentation method is getting something more out for the hash that makes it tastier and robuster (as you so nicely put it :D ) but which by consequence is present in your oil and will be missing from mine. Roundabouts and swings :wink:

Very glad you're intent on trying out a bit of Tiltology. Sure we'll learn a lot more with your approach. As I now have a genuine butter mountain and so want to butane any refuse I have from now on, I should have mastered it a bit better by Christmas too, so hopefully we can help each other along a bit. I'm already trying to think of a way you could win oil not just out of your bubbled trim, but also from the oodles of goodies that are left in the ice water which is really oodles as my last experiments have confirmed.

So thanks to you, now oil has been added to my cocktail cabinet. I would never have got myself to buy something called as tweely as a Honey Bee Extractor and my butter mountain would just have grown and grown :rofl:

Enough oil for the mo, back to my own thread and the great hashes that have come up with the last methods. Be square or be....

Cheers, :punk: !TILT! :punk: thas me after BHO in ze afternoon.......

Hi im new to hash making but I made my first batch of bubble using 4 day old trim and bud that I cut and froze (125g). After i agitated it in a 5 gallon bucket i let it settle over night. In the morning i realized that much of the green veg had sunk to the bottom though there was still ice floating in the bucket. I just used a wire mesh screen that i bought at walmart to remove veg even stuff on the bottom of the bucket, but I did it as delecately as possible as to not scoop a bunch of trichs with the veg (although i am sure i got some cause after i removed the veg and poured the remainder dark green liquid through a cotton t-shirt my yeild was 6 grams of bubble). I told you all that so i could ask you two questions:

1. After I let it dry overnight it is brittle and will not bubble? Although if I work with it a little it becomes super sticky again. Do i let dry longer or what?

2. Is my yeild so small becuase of probably scooping up trichs with veg that was settled on the bottom?

* I also chopped it up a little in a food processor prior to agitating in bucket, my idea behind that was that the buds were still sticky and i wanted to break them up a little so as to expose all the trichs tucked inside the outdoor sticky bud?? was that wrong too? *

Any advice would be appreciated as I have a few outdoor sativa plants drying that i would like to turn to hash (due to cold weather was unable to finish to full maturity but buds still frosty). I would like to perfect the process on a small scale before I ruin my crop - 12ft in height!

Any advice would be appreciated......

The boss doesn't seem to be around, maybe still bogged down rereading my thread :rofl: and as your questions are in my sphere, I'll try to help out. Your hash will be so brittle 'cause you left the green in too long and green dust will have waterlogged and mixed with the resin. Can't do much about that so you'll have to smoke it as it is. Inversely, you seem to have managed to take out a lot of resin with your green matter. That I would dry out and do a BHO extraction as described by Grobag in this and another thread.

It would be worth perfecting your technique a bit if you have more plants to turn into hash. If you're brave enough you can wade through my thread 'cause that's what it's basically about, with both fresh and dried material. Otherwise there are other simpler manuals which should help you at least to get a better stash of cleaner hash. I certainly wouldn't put my buds through a food processor: that will create a lot of impurity and won't even really do what you wanted. If fresh, just pull the bud apart as much as poss. -- dismembering's the word that sprang to mind recently while I was doing it -- without squashing the single budlettes too much. If dry, I'd crumble it up gently gently and definitely do a dry sift before the ice mix. If you use a mesh for that sift that is slightly larger than the mesh you'll use to filter out the green matter in the ice, you should then have virtually no green contamination in yout hash. More on that in the link below.

Back to BHO, that's what I really passed by for. Need a tip, Sir G. :D My first batch pictured above was pretty dire, mainly because the butane I thought was quite clean wasn't and you can still just note it after 10 purges. But even apart from the butane one can see it's green (Honey my foot :doh: ) and there's a definite aftertaste of burning plant. Did another batch a bit different with a near zero impurity butane. Steel thermos flask, more material packed in and then cork in it and a good shake in the butane, just 2 mins. though, but it still came out greenish. Tastes much better and the first hit is beautifully perfumed, but the aftertaste comes through further down in the J.

So basically, Boss, WTF is my oil so green? I can understand that I got so much resin out for my hash, there won't be a lot of "honey" left, but even if it was there I'd still have the green and therefore the aftertaste. The fresh material was centrifuged in the ice water quite strongly and for a long while, and in the end the water was quite tainted with chlorophyl, but don't really understand how, even if my centrifuge has "released" much chlorophyl, how the hell it makes it into my oil. And it's definitely pigment rather than small plant particles 'cause I filtered it really finely.

Bit puzzled all in all :smoke:, TILT!

• Like 1

Seeing as how you've dropped by this evening, boss :D just thought I'd leave a note that I did finally get my BHO act together, and using fresh dried rotten bud managed to extract this:

post-10446-1224441409_thumb.jpgpost-10446-1224441511_thumb.jpg

Bit nicer colour methinks lol though still rather more Mustard Glue than Honey Oil :rofl: Very potent, though makes me cough (which nothing else does). Did a second run on the same stuff and it came out almost the same colour, though slightly weaker and less taste. Used a old double sided stainles steel vacuum flask with a cork, seems to keep the butane liquid for longer.

So thanks Sir Grobag :D

and cheers (or tokes rather) when you read this, and yes,

the field's open, so do come and have one of those "fruitful conversations" when you have time :D

:guitar: !TILT! :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say i'm going to be using both the tilt and grobag methods when I get cropping, and will be blending up my finished products too.

But my reason for posting is this: i've never seen decent butane on sale in the shops in my city other than the stuff they add a smell to - camping gas and old skool gas can blowtorch gas.. everything else is that crappy swan and ronson lighter gas

So i went googling for this newport gas but did a search for purified butane, and came up with several camping/outdoorzy style shops, and tobacciana type shops selling newport, london oil in 250 and 300ml cans. Also i went to the keen-newport webby linked in this thread and you can aparently buy whole boxfuls of the shit for about £35. According to my folks who would know, the (as were) vantage chemists shops can get medical grade, ultra pure isopropyl alcohol - I presume lloyds type things would be able to order it in also.

I'm usually pretty good at finding anything i look for on the net, even if its hard to come by and decent purified butane seems to be, in this country.. So hope this info helps (yall use that google search now) anyone who wants to do this stuff but can't find the necessary solvents :D

Wicked work grobag, love it. Gotta sample these techniques as now i'm a member here i'm not even sure i've ever had decent hash other than perhaps one or two shared joints years ago, and i certainly have never seen oil.. Always been a bud man meself.. this can't continue, I MUST justify my username.. I feel like an amature amongst seasoned pros :doh: and that just can't happen for a stoner as enthusiastic as me

Ta for destroying my illusions you GITS

:yes:

• 2 months later...
Back to BHO, that's what I really passed by for. Need a tip, Sir G. lol My first batch pictured above was pretty dire, mainly because the butane I thought was quite clean wasn't and you can still just note it after 10 purges. But even apart from the butane one can see it's green (Honey my foot :yep: ) and there's a definite aftertaste of burning plant. Did another batch a bit different with a near zero impurity butane. Steel thermos flask, more material packed in and then cork in it and a good shake in the butane, just 2 mins. though, but it still came out greenish. Tastes much better and the first hit is beautifully perfumed, but the aftertaste comes through further down in the J.

Just wondered whether you're evaporating pure butane on glass/pyrex to check for impurities? The unclean ones (Swann & Ronson) both leave a fair amount of white residue, not something you want to be smoking IMO. I'd be a bit careful about sealing butane completely and shaking it, if you build up too much pressure in there bad things could happen when you release it.

So basically, Boss, WTF is my oil so green? I can understand that I got so much resin out for my hash, there won't be a lot of "honey" left, but even if it was there I'd still have the green and therefore the aftertaste. The fresh material was centrifuged in the ice water quite strongly and for a long while, and in the end the water was quite tainted with chlorophyl, but don't really understand how, even if my centrifuge has "released" much chlorophyl, how the hell it makes it into my oil. And it's definitely pigment rather than small plant particles 'cause I filtered it really finely.

Bit puzzled all in all :rofl:, TILT!

Butane is a very selective solvent, but it does pick up small amounts of chlorophyll. My guess would be that the ratio of cannabinoids to chlorophyll has been lowered by the ice process, removing lots of trichomes and rupturing the plant cells to make more chlorophyll available. The problem is that both the cannabinoids and chlorophyll are soluble in non-polar solvents, so seperating them out further is difficult.

• 7 months later...

excellent thread grobag,

i have noticed that you aint so keen on the QWISO and that BHO seems to be your preferred method, the general consensus on this thread is that using an iso run produces a darker oil however the last qwiso run i done gave me a rather light brown kinda crystalised hash on two of the lots of trims, compared to sticky but still light brown oil on another two lots of trim (i did a second run of each batch but just put the second lot in same plate - now, that was dark!!)

here is a couple of pics (not the best quality, sorry in advance!!):

post-47642-1252416320_thumb.jpg post-47642-1252416424_thumb.jpg post-47642-1252416432_thumb.jpg post-47642-1252416484_thumb.jpg

the dark one on the left is the 2nd run of all the different washes all mixed together

a pic of the different end products:

post-47642-1252416529_thumb.jpg

a couple o questions though grobag (or anyone else) - how come i have ended up with crystalised oil with some of the first runs but really sticky oil for the other first runs?? is it maybe the time shook in the jar with trim has differred or is it maybe the way it has dried out that is different or even down to the quality of trim (although it all came from same trim - different plants just chucked together)??

any help much appreciated... :B):

• 2 weeks later...
a couple o questions though grobag (or anyone else) - how come i have ended up with crystalised oil with some of the first runs but really sticky oil for the other first runs?? is it maybe the time shook in the jar with trim has differred or is it maybe the way it has dried out that is different or even down to the quality of trim (although it all came from same trim - different plants just chucked together)??

any help much appreciated... lol

Nice results. I just like my oil to be see through. I'm gonna be having another play about soon from 7th October or there abouts onwards, then every few weeks as my crops will be coming in then :)

The solid state of your oil is down to how far you have evaporated off the ISO. How did you go about it? Did you heat the pan to speed up the evaporation? I guess you did and maybe at different temperatures. I'd hazard a guess that it was either the heat applied to the 'vap; hence the speed of the 'vap - or it was how far you took it before you decided to scrape it up - or a combination of the two. :)

It just takes practice to get it how you want it each time. It's more critical with ISO and easier to get right with butane.

ETA: Methyl Ethyl Ketone was a git like that making solid oil all the time - I gave up on the stuff in the end.

Edited by grobag

grobag - cheers for info mate, appreciated

:)

i never used heat to evaporate it before but think it must have been down to the scraping process :rofl:

BHO it is for me next time though bud, got all the utensils i need but the trim, not long now though!!!

:rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again guys, I'm back were I belong. :yep:

So... I start cropping today - only one plant of a wave of six which will all be ready in a few days, then more a couple of weeks after that. Boy has it been a long time coming; I've not pulled a crop of my own for two years! I'm starting with Cheese, as it's always been a favourite of mine - such funky stuff; plus I'll be cropping Barry White - a strain from the Kent area about 8 years ago but it is now quite popular in Cornwall.

Obviously I'll be making quite a few hashes and oils, and documenting them right here. Is there any kind of dope that people want to see made?

I've personally been loving black hashes recently with some really nice imports coming through - although a lot of the better ones were unfortunately busted. :( So that's what I'll be starting with on the first plant. I'll make some black hash from bubbled cheese, hand rubbed, plus I'll make some BHO. I was going to have a go at budder with the BHO to see what all the fuss is about and whether it lives up to the heady claims.

Next weekend I'll then be making some pressed hashes, both from bubble and dry sift to see which I prefer. These I'll make into both straight hashes and also mix some with oil to make jelly hashes.

I'm gonna go charge my camera so that I can take lots of piccies and I'll post up the first of them tonight - including bud shots of the starting matter.

Here's a picture of not-so-good Amsterdam imports to see what I'll be contending with. I reckon mine might just be a bit better. The big bit is Border Hash (India/Nepal border) and the little worms are King Hussain (Morocco):

post-5967-1255256060_thumb.jpg

Wish me luck. :spliff:

Good luck lol Not that you'll need it. I can't wait :unsure:

Doing some photos for my own Jelly Hash thread at the mo. Dry sift.....done, Butane on the way. Smile and Killer Skunk trim and air buds lol