Light Keeps Killing Timers

Paul Batchelor

am running a 400w using a timer from Currys, got a pack of 3 for a tenner. think am gonna pick up a Eco Switch 2 from Joolz

heres the ballast:

timer:

thoughts?

get yourself a contactor if your going to use the timer mate, otherwise the timer will fuse in the on position guaranteed,

i recently bought some more lights, one of which is a 250w hps and i tried to get it working with a mechanical timer the same as yours and it just fused on the first time of use so the 400w will kill the timer for sure,

for the sake of £30 and for peace of mind, a contactor is an essential piece of kit :ninja:

• Like 1

hi i been reading this thread and im proper paranoid about fire so i wanna do my grow as safe as i can i have a 250 hps and i aint got a relay yet but in 2 minds to get one not because of the cash as mine and my familys lifes are priceless but my problems is where i want to grow there is only one mains plug socket. i wanna know if it is safe or possible to run a four way adapter (surge protected) from that one socket then plug up the relay to that as they alll seem to be 2 plug relays and then mabe run fan on that extenstion as welll does anyone actully do this or is it remotely safe

thanks in advance

ragingbull

So long as the extension is correctly fused, and the flex is of an adequate thickness, then there should be no problem is using one like that.

:yahoo:

sorry to sound stupid but whats the flex doe you mean wiring by this and correctly fused do u mean it the load must not exceed the 13A amps

sorry to sound like a proper neeb

cheers again bro

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Does anyone know where i can order a decent contactor from online.Ill be running a 250w HID and this thread has made me paranoid.

But safety first. Its better to be safe than sorry/dead

......ATOMIC

• 1 month later...

i read somewere that u cant pull more than 250watts through these cheap mechanical timers but mine claims to be O.K upto 1250 watts, but i am a paranoid person so i just ordered a light control unit with built in timers and stuff safe up to 1000 odd watts it worth it for peace of mind and it was only £23 online nextday delivery , the problem is when the lights come on with the cheap timer the juice it sucks through to power up melts the mechanism's of the timer inside therfore stopping it from doing a sufficient and SAFE job just think F.I.R.E fuck that shit it worth it for peace of mind ur life aint worth the fucking risk :wassnnme::rofl::D:rofl:

safe hope people make the right decisions i didnt know until i was reading a webpage lastnight and i ordered it straight away :rofl: im running 500 watts CFL

Hi all.

Does anyone know where i can order a decent contactor from online.Ill be running a 250w HID and this thread has made me paranoid.

But safety first. Its better to be safe than sorry/dead

......ATOMIC

i know a good website but i cant tell u here they are really cheap to buy off aswell u can e-mail me and ill tell u via that or MSN me it in profile

• 4 weeks later...

¿How many other components are required to build a working contactor asides from those DILEM-10's then, wazzup?

I have seen them for sale at suppliers for about £16+VAT, and they are rated at 4KW, is that inductive, ¿and does that seem about right?

:unsure:

New on the market, this unit switches up to 6 x 200w Envirolite or 1 x 600w HID lamp. Heavy duty 24 hour mechanical timer linked to 22A rated contactor, IP44 water ingress protection for use in greenhouse environments, 1 year manufacturers warranty.

One socket required and half the price of a standard 10 amp contactor. In-built timer so no additional timer cost. Perfect for one light.

It says that it can support 1xHID light, up to 600W.

You shouldn't really post links to other shops - don't be surprised if it gets removed soon. :yep:

:stoned:

• 2 weeks later...

i got a cheap digi timer here in us, and specs are these.

Ratings: 15 Amps Resistive and Inductive, 500 Watt Tungsten, 1/3 H.P., 120VAC, 60 Hz

seems to be more than enough for any of these specs you guys were shooting out? and i only run a 150w hps and 62w cfl...

this one cost me 15 bucks at my local diy store~

Edited by evilpickles