Light Keeps Killing Timers

Paul Batchelor

Just seen this on Maplins website the Q&a says inductive load is 13A is this too good to be true ?)

heheh sorry forgot to add the link lol . It seems too good to be true because if the inductive rating is 13 A wouldnt the resistive rating be more like 50-60 A . Thats huge for a timer ? heres the link :nerd:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32997#features

13A is the resistive rating, it doesn't show an inductive rating anywhere.

Just seen this on Maplins website the Q&a says inductive load is 13A is this too good to be true ?)

heheh sorry forgot to add the link :doh: . It seems too good to be true because if the inductive rating is 13 A wouldnt the resistive rating be more like 50-60 A . Thats huge for a timer ? heres the link :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32997#features

13A is the resistive rating, it doesn't show an inductive rating anywhere.

At the Bottom in the faq Frequently Asked Questions

Q) What is the max inductive load for this switch. - paul morley

A) 13 Amps

Methinks its a typo :)

But the Timer ive ordered from trg is rated at 4 amps inductive load , it also mounts on a din rail as a module :-

230V/50Hz din rail mounting digital timeclock capable of switching 16(4)A.

Power supply: 230V/50Hz

Switching capability: 16(4)A/250V-

Power consumption: 0.5W

Time-keeping precision: ±sec/day at 25°C

Time-keeping backup: 150 hours

Dial type: LCD display

Memory spaces: 8on/8off

Operating temperature: -10°C to +55°C

Type of protection: IP20 in accordance with EN60529

Protection class: II in accordance with EN60335 under correct mounting conditions

Mounting: din rail mounting

:yinyang:

But the Timer ive ordered from trg is rated at 4 amps inductive load , it also mounts on a din rail as a module :-

Why don't you buy a 20 amp contactor that fits on the DIN rail as well, they are only about £5.

I can't wait until I can afford an automated fire extinguisher system! AND I have a remote relay (for lights), smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher already in place..

Why don't you buy a 20 amp contactor that fits on the DIN rail as well, they are only about £5.

Could u point me in the right direction for a fiver ill add one of them . The only ones ive found so far are in the 30-50 quid range :punk: thanks

I can't wait until I can afford an automated fire extinguisher system! AND I have a remote relay (for lights), smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher already in place..

The ones i'm on about mate are only £40, not hightech systems, just a glass temperature gauge, and if temp goes too high, POP goes the extinguisher glass releasing the powder. Looks just like a hand held one, you just hang it in the grow room ceiling. :rofl:

E2F: retarded spelling.

Edited by Greenthumb_420

Q) What is the max inductive load for this switch. - paul morley

A) 13 Amps

Methinks its a typo :doh:

ah, didn't see that bit, i agree though, it's probably incorrect

unfortunately this still may not be good enough, lights aren't only inductive. the capacitor puts a lot of strain on the timer contacts as well. capacitor damages the contacts on closing, and the inductor damages the contacts on opening, and the capacitive rating of the time will be less than the inductive rating. i'd do as snadge suggests and get a contactor, just look on ebay, cheap as. just had a quick search on there and the first one that pops up is a 40A contactor going for about 3 quid!

I use a 1kw eco-technics contactor and a half decent grasslin mechanical timer for my 600.

£25 quid for the contactor and a tenner for the timer, job done.

I wouldnt even consider using anything less for a HID.

I do run 2 x 125w envirolights in my veg room though on a single grasslin timer without a contactor and its been fine so far, they fused two cheap argos timers permently on so thats what made me get the grasslin timer for them, although i will be getting a contactor for them soon, whats 25 quid when your saving so much money by growing your own in the first place??

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I've just got myself an Envirolite Greenhouse timer that says its 22amp, 240v and 50/60HZ. It apparently can handle switching my 400w Phillips ballast with a Sodium! Is this true or am I going to melt it?? I looked at getting a contactor and then saw the timer, so went for the timer as it was £12!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Was reading into the whole timer thing and found this thread very interesting and it certainly made me question if I need one of these contactor things.

So I done my research and came across this. Would you mind having a look and seeing if this is sufficient enough for me? I have one 400w light in a wardrobe.

Heres the link, hope it works :smoke:

Envirolite Timer/Contactor £14.95 Click HERE

• 1 month later...

startyed reading this then jumped right to the end

if you using HID lamps be it hps or mh you WILL need a contactor

on start up, all HID lamps use more ampage on start-up than they do after running a while, a 400w will use about 2 amp running but on start up this can go up to 4-5 amp depending on age.

the electrical surge on start-up is what are blowing your timers

there are timers out there can take higher ampages BUT for safty you need a contactor

DON'T FUCK/GO CHEAP WITH ELECTRICITY, IT KILLS

• 2 weeks later...

ou MUST get a contactor mine was an eco technics single plug 1000 watt jobie and it cost just £26 cheaper than a few timers if your to stingey then switch of at mains ever 18 or12 hours thats what i did saving up for my first contactor DONT trust any timmer alone

Edited by green dreemer