Light Keeps Killing Timers

Paul Batchelor

:no:

this is all news to me, glad i read this thread, no one ever told me to get one at the grow shop and I didnt know to ask to be honest ;)

so I have a digital timer and it says 16A 3500W maxi..

sorry to annoy those that already know and have answered a million times, but i dont know - il shell out the dosh or make one - in not trying to be stingey,, but ,,,, do i still need one if mine is rated as stated?

so I have a digital timer and it says 16A 3500W maxi..

sorry to annoy those that already know and have answered a million times, but i dont know - il shell out the dosh or make one - in not trying to be stingey,, but ,,,, do i still need one if mine is rated as stated?

I'm pretty sure you don't need one. Is it of decent quality?

Edited by Fat Freddy

hey fatfreddy,

i got it from carrefour, its like a french owned hypermarket, there a huge company, it seems middle of the road to me,,, its not high end anyways,,,and it was dirt cheap!!! 8 euros B)

it can do 20 different programmes, its not for outdoor use and thats all i know tbh, sorry to be a bit thick

oh forgot to mention that its 230v - 50hhz if that makes a different (im on euro electrics these days)

cheers :no:

edit: added a pic so you can get an idea if its ok quality from the look of it post-19269-1169081085_thumb.jpg

Edited by elduderino

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my €0.02...

I got one of these from FleaBay for a good price 18 months ago. It claims to be able to handle up to 30A without the need for a contactor and my 400W draws less than 2A when running.

It's currently on its 6th grow now and has spectacularly failed to blow up, catch fire, emit smoke or scary smells, or do anything other than work 100% reliably.

Doom and gloom mongers take note... :smoke:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you might be right mate and they may be the better option but all the grow shop stock timers and contactors, and they are easy items to buy otc in electrical factors ,perhaps these clocks are available in your country but over here i've never seen them.

i used do the trenches for cabling and erect street lamps and over here there all on one big circuit with a contactor on the end of it.maybe there was a time when we had clocks in each lamp post but not any more.

perhaps you can enlighten us and do a search for a uk stockist of the type of clock you have lol

• Like 1

Friend of mine had timer trouble. A couple siezed up but the rest were fine. After reading this though I shall advise him about the safety issues that have been pointed out here. I would hate to think of him burning his house down, that would be terrible as I would have no-one to get my green off :wassnnme:

Safety is the issue here and I know that if I ever make the bold step of growing then I will heed these warnings.

you say you need 2 sockets for the ralay ??? im only gonna run a 250w so would i need 2 wall sockets ??

Yes, the reason is one socket is used as the "activate" socket - i.e. where you plus the timer into that turns your lights on/off and the second socket is used as the "power" socket that the lights draw the current from.

socket 1) mains->timer->socket 1 of contactor

socket 2) main->relay->power strip->ballast

make sense?

I know you guys are all gung ho over contactors, but in reality your all doing it wrong period. Your starting of using inferrior timers instead of getitng a comercial timer. I must have posted this about 5 times already. If you have the right time clock then you do not need a contactor, if you need a contactor, your using the the wrong clock. Dikki, yoru right to a point but infact you do not need a contactor

Here is the one I am using for both of my 250w lights. And seeing is is designed spefically for these type of HID lighting, in fact THIS IS them absolute right way of doing it regardless of what anyone says.

It is rated @ 40 amps 120v for the US and I am sure you have somthing equivilent and available to you guys over there. I am not trying to start an argument, but I am sick of people saying that a contactor is the right way when in fact it is not at all. All you have to do is use the right parts, on top of this, I believe this timer cost less then your contactor and cheap timer combined.

Not only that, but whats the price of timer with contactor vs high voltage contactor?

I'd image that a contactor with timer costing about £30-£40 is cheaper than a commercial timer you're using? Correct me if i'm wrong.

hello... instead of using a relay.. does anyone think these timers would be sufficient to handle the surge of hid lights... please let me know, as these seem a cheap alternative if viable..

ebay item no.. 250085088304

:rofl::rofl:

the power rating on the timer is 13A 3120w MAX LOAD

You do know that this will be the *resistive* load capacity, and not the *inductive* one, don't you?

:guitar:

A lot of the cheaper timers say in the instructions "not suitable for fluorescents or motors" so I just don't use them without a relay, for any CFL's whatever size or anything that has an inductive load...safer, and cheaper in the long run.

english???? :wink: what u meen scribble?

I mean that the rating you posted for your timers (13A 3120w MAX LOAD) is only for resistive loads (like radios, normal lights etc.) and *not* for inudctive loads (like electric motors and HID ballasts).

The max. inductive loads that those timers can *safely* handle will be a lot less than 13A 3120W.

lol

Maplins do a nice digital timer rated for 3A (720w) inductive load, 13A (3120w) resistive load. Less than a tenner :smoke:

Edited by Fat Freddy