Light Keeps Killing Timers

Paul Batchelor

Thanks for the help guys. Thinking that maybe i should buy the contactor (cheaper than burning the house down!). Thanks everyone happy growing.

• Like 1

dont mess about matey

get a contactor £40 ish just think of the money you will save on timers and on the safety front get a smoke alarm near your grow i think everyone should do this anyway

peppi :oldtoker:

Edited by Peppi

Thanks for the help guys. Thinking that maybe i should buy the contactor (cheaper than burning the house down!). Thanks everyone happy growing.

you got it buddie,good luck with your grow,twinkle[i also run a 250,with contactor],twinkle :fuckyou:

Guest Lazlo Woodbine

I use a arogo digital timer on my 400w they are ten quid for two you cant miss them & say they can take up to 1000w i think :D

But yeah that will do the job mate , hope that helps :fuckyou:

I do the same - 1 400w ..... and a few bits and pieces .....

2 timers both fine - had them 4 years now... :D

However ...as and when I go past 400w ..... a contractor will be used.... :unsure:

Laz

Edited by Lazlo Woodbine

IMO anyone who doesn't use a contactor relay for anything over 150w deserves everything they get... including your house burned down!

Sorry to be so sharp, but a person who grows without one, especially using HID lamps risks at the very least, a frozen timer & at the worst... a fire which could take you, your family & your neighbours house up in flames!

I believe you shouldn't be able to even BUY an HID lamp without the question 'have you got a contactor relay' being asked

sorry to bang on about this, but it really is poor form when you try & save a few quid by not buying one & then moan when you have bought a few packs of timers & probably spent more on replacements than the price of the ruddy contactor

Let's put it another way...

As growers of our precious herb in our own homes, I say we have a responsibility to others around us by taking as many precautions as we can. We may be breaking a stupid prohibition law, but FFS people neglegence shouldn't come into it!!

dikki

Edited to add:

Could this be pinned?

It's a common enough question that NEEDS addressing by ALL growers

Too right!

:yinyang: in the u.s. they have RESISTIVE or INDUCTIVE timers for handling the appliances and HID or stuff thats got an initial start load greater than the run mode, (laymans english). Motors also are like that. Heavy Duty and Inductive is the one. I know, nobody tells us this shit. Any way Good Grow Show--dave zap. :yep:

Get the digital timers from Argoos :yinyang: Beenusing em for years, ALL mechenical timers are no good for us growers.

You will get 2 timers from Argoos for 10 - 15 squidm best deal in town ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i just use crappy timers....one to each electrical appliance, 4 quid each from my local electrical shop.

they can handle 600W HPS so they're all good....think their called like teamaid or sumthing really lame.

Hg

if you do a search on contactor...or ..relay

there is a thread that tells you how to make one

with the part codes from maplins and everything ..how to wire etc

HTH

• 3 weeks later...
I got my 600w plugged into to one of those argos digi timers, no contactor! Works a treat fer me and plenty of others round ere.

Definately just a matter of time untill your timer goes wrong possibly burning down the house and killing you. You certainly need to run any high voltage equipment through a relay switch so the timer operates that and the high voltage runs through it and not the timer itself. For me its well worth the fifty quid or so for the proper thing. I killed many timers before I found out about the relays, luckily never killed myself.

• Like 1

There ya go tight bud, nice one mate, build your own relay for just a few quid, what more could you ask ?

• Like 1

I would never run over a 250 without a contactor my digi light has 2 in it but before this i allways ran one . dont chance it when they show ya how to build one on the cheep. stanky