Help with water quality

NormanNugget

Thanks for not quoting my entire post in your reply. 😂

Anyone taking your advice should take a gander at your plants first.  

9 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Thanks for not quoting my entire post in your reply. 😂

Anyone taking your advice should take a gander at your plants first.  

That's fine. That's what counts at the end of the day. Those are records of my progress... warts and all. 

Edited by catweazle1

Try fixing your own warts before you spread them to other unsuspecting growers. Your advice is poor and your plant husbandry needs so much work yet your stubbornness won't allow you to accept when you're wrong so it's not even worthwhile trying to put you on the right track.  

Also, despite me asking several times for you to not to quote my entire posts in your replies you persist with this fuckwittery so I'm going to put you on ignore now.  

4 hours ago, Saddam said:

because adding MG to every single feed is just asking for trouble.

I've been doing this for about 3 years no problems lol

I live in the hardest Water area in the UK but use regular nutes, so probably why it works fine, I don't even measure the Mg or know what the exact calcium level of my water, just winging it and it works.

About ¼ tea spoon pre 3L of water.

Edited by Military Grade

There's quite a lot of a difference between 2ml per litre and a quarter teaspoon per 3 litres though. If I'm mixing 25 litres of feed then according to catweazel's 'formula' I'd be whacking in 50ml of liquid Epsom salts into the bucket, that's on top of the nutes. lol     @Military Grade

Jebus. 

1 hour ago, Saddam said:

I've seen you proffer this 250g in a litre of water nonsense in more than one thread and it's just not on. 

You've misunderstood that entirely.

That is a recipe to make a home made version of a product called Canna Mono MG.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Latigid.  1tsp is 5g/5000mg. Per Military Grade, he is using  a quarter of a teaspoon... 1250mg in 3L. That's 412mg total . The recipe I posted adds 500mg or 64mg Mg. Military grade is adding slightly less.

Edited by catweazle1

8 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

You've misunderstood that entirely.

No I haven't. I know how to make a suspension and how to use one, I also kinda do the opposite with pH down and make a dilute mix which doesn't send the pH to the floor when I'm adding it to the nutes.

I think you'll find that it's you who've misunderstood.  Epsom salts are heptahydrate and not monohydrate aka kieserite which is what's inside a bottle of Canna mono Mg

What you are making using this recipe is hydra Mg, which you should be putting in your bath or a foot spa. 

What I'm having problems with is this fella telling everyone to add this Mg mix in numerous threads like it's a cure-all for sick plants, going so far as advising they add ridiculous quantities to every single feed without any clue as to what they're doing, claiming they're 'correcting the water'. 

Do you supplement Mg in veg?  I don't think I have, ever. 

Companies spend lots of time and money developing these Canna specific nutrients for hard or soft water and believe it or not most of them work pretty well in the right hands. 

19 minutes ago, Saddam said:

What you are making using this recipe is hydra Mg, which you should be putting in your bath or a foot spa. 

Are you claiming the heptahydrate is not suitable for horticulture? If not why not?

21 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Do you supplement Mg in veg?

Yes.

21 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Companies spend lots of time and money developing these Canna specific nutrients for hard or soft water and believe it or not most of them work pretty well in the right hands. 

You think Mono Mg is any better than Epsom salts? Why is it better? I'd rather not pay money for transporting water unnecessarily. It's £10-£15 plus shipping for 1 litre, how much do you think 250g of Epsom salts costs?

Again, you've misunderstood. With decent Canna-specific nutes tailored for HW or SW you shouldn't really need to use Mg, and certainly not in the amounts being advised here.

Yes I think kieserite is better than Epsom salts, it's literally used everywhere in horticulture and agriculture plus it's way cheaper, a 20kg bag will cost you about £30. 

Do you think Canna Mono Mg is water mixed with Epsom salts or kieserite? lol    

If Epsoms gave the best bang for buck then every farmer in the world would use it.  

@Saddam @catweazle1

A quick Google tells me that the plants would like around 75mg/l of magnesium, and following the 3:1 ratio 225mg/l calcium.

If this is correct, the 64mg as per catweazles recipe, added to the 8.6mg supposedly in my water makes up 73.6mg - which should be ideal.

I have 69mg of calcium however, which I suppose could be problematic, then would I need to add around 165mg of calcium?

In terms of cost and which is better, tbh I don’t care, the cost for Epsom salts vs kieserite is negligible in the quantities I would be using.

Edited by NormanNugget
Ratio wrong way round!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saddam said:

With decent Canna-specific nutes tailored for HW or SW you shouldn't really need to use Mg

What if the compost has nutrients in it and only needs water throughout the veg period? That is how a lot of people on here grow.

Hard water nutrients only provide sufficient minerals when used at full strength.

16 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Yes I think kieserite is better than Epsom salts, it's literally used everywhere in horticulture and agriculture plus it's way cheaper, a 20kg bag will cost you about £30. 

Epsom salts is much easier to buy, it is sold in high street shops and chemists for such a low price that cost is irrelevant to this discussion.

19 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Do you think Canna Mono Mg is water mixed with Epsom salts or kieserite?

Do you think it makes any difference to the plants?

All you can come up with is price, and Epsom salts is MUCH cheaper than Canna Mono Mg so what's your point?

All we're trying to do is save people a few quid, all you're doing is looking for arguments, I know you have a reputation to uphold so I expect more of the same.