Help with water quality

NormanNugget

17 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Mix 250g of epsom in water. It will dissolve, Bottle it as your Mg source. Add 2ml per litre of nutes. That will give about 64mg, plus your 9mg. 

@catweazle1 you my friend as a bloody godsend. Thankyou! Already got some Epsom Salt on order

• Like 1

The trick is to get a Haws fine rose and a generic can with the right diameter spout.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

The trick is to get a Haws fine rose and a generic can with the right diameter spout.

But the Haws cans are so pretty!

I work as a furniture designer for super prime residential properties (in complete opposition to the super bog standard lifestyle it allows me to have). So I have a debilitating penchant for well designed products..

25 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

But the Haws cans are so pretty!

It's true. Their aesthetic design is the original and best.

25 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

well designed products

Their functional design is all in the rose and nobody else sees my grow lol

Hahah but you see it and that’s what matters surely? 

I’ve seen they also have a downspout, which I didn’t even know was a thing. Thinking this could be helpful when watering an airpot. 

Also mainly bought airpots because I was seduced by their alien aesthetic.

I have a problem..

How much on a watering can??? Fuck me, whack it in. I used a £1 B&Q bucket for mature plants, and a plastic cup for the babies. 

2 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

Also mainly bought airpots because I was seduced by their alien aesthetic.

I have a problem..

It's cool, we're all on the spectrum here. Don't sweat the small stuff. I use fabric pots filled with pre-fed coco coir, so they only need water, which is taken care of by gravity and valves. How's that for alien? 

large.IMG_3170.jpeg.6e5690edbacd9c62b8bc612ee554190e.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-01-03-214057.jpeg.e292dcabd6e38a51b16bd69f0cbeef8c.jpeglarge.IMG_2595.jpeg.80562fd3e382c9f4e386483a34f37686.jpeg

Actually very lazy way to grow. There's not much to do if you're not watering, ph testing ec checking etc etc..

5 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

How much on a watering can??? Fuck me, whack it in. I used a £1 B&Q bucket for mature plants, and a plastic cup for the babies. 

Haha yeah I could of course use the 3l jug I picked up for £3..

1 minute ago, Slippy One said:

It's cool, we're all on the spectrum here. Don't sweat the small stuff. I use fabric pots filled with pre-fed coco coir, so they only need water, which is taken care of by gravity and valves. How's that for alien? 

large.IMG_3170.jpeg.6e5690edbacd9c62b8bc612ee554190e.jpeglarge.IMG_2024-01-03-214057.jpeg.e292dcabd6e38a51b16bd69f0cbeef8c.jpeglarge.IMG_2595.jpeg.80562fd3e382c9f4e386483a34f37686.jpeg

Actually very lazy way to grow. There's not much to do if you're not watering, ph testing ec checking etc etc..

Are they blumats? I’ve considered making myself an auto watering solution. Not because I have any need to, just for the sake of it.

There must be someone on here who has set up a system where they don’t open the tent after sticking the seedlings in. I’m sure it can be done!

I’m a bit lazy when it comes to the technical side of things and didn’t really look into it. My calcium was a lot higher than mag but bough same as yours. Growers Ark recommended 1g of Epsom salts to 10l water. I get a little bit of hot water in a jug and disolve the salt in it before adding to the bucket. Take ages to disolve properly in cold water.

I’ve copied and pasted what GA said for you -

We have analysed your water, results and comments are below. All values are in parts per million (ppm) except pH.

Calcium           77

Magnesium      4

Sulphate          28

Alkalinity         274

pH                   7.90

This is a hard water with high levels of Alkalinity, moderately high Calcium, medium sulphate and low Magnesium.

This water will work with all of our hard water feeds (Soil ,Coco and Hydro) however the Calcium :Magnesium ratio is at the top of the good range at around 4:1. In most cases this will be fine but it could lead to Magnesium deficiencies, to correct if it does occur  or to  reduce this risk we recommend adding 1gram of epsom salts to 10 liters of your water and using this to make up feed. If you wish to use another type of magnesium  product then aim to add around 10 ppm of Mg. Do not use a Cal-Mag product as you don't need any extra Calcium.

Tbh I’m looking forward to spending too much time looking at the plants and worrying about everything 

I started off taking my time with a watering can, soon got fed up with that. I now jug it and use a layer of clay pebbles on top so not to disturb the roots too much

11 hours ago, MistYGr33n said:

but for now i wouldnt worry.

I would worry his calcium to magnesium ratio is out of whack. That water profile is fairly similar to mine only mine is more extreme, (130mg/l cal)  I've recently switched to "Terra Aquatica Hardwater" nutes after talking through some of my issues at length with a very trusted grower on here time will tell.

I'd definitely look at Hardwater nutes they will correct that calcium magnesium ratio.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aphatspliff said:

I’m a bit lazy when it comes to the technical side of things and didn’t really look into it. My calcium was a lot higher than mag but bough same as yours. Growers Ark recommended 1g of Epsom salts to 10l water. I get a little bit of hot water in a jug and disolve the salt in it before adding to the bucket. Take ages to disolve properly in cold water.

I’ve copied and pasted what GA said for you -

We have analysed your water, results and comments are below. All values are in parts per million (ppm) except pH.

Calcium           77

Magnesium      4

Sulphate          28

Alkalinity         274

pH                   7.90

This is a hard water with high levels of Alkalinity, moderately high Calcium, medium sulphate and low Magnesium.

This water will work with all of our hard water feeds (Soil ,Coco and Hydro) however the Calcium :Magnesium ratio is at the top of the good range at around 4:1. In most cases this will be fine but it could lead to Magnesium deficiencies, to correct if it does occur  or to  reduce this risk we recommend adding 1gram of epsom salts to 10 liters of your water and using this to make up feed. If you wish to use another type of magnesium  product then aim to add around 10 ppm of Mg. Do not use a Cal-Mag product as you don't need any extra Calcium.

Thanks so much @Aphatspliff for sharing. Looks like your water is pretty similar to mine.

Also seems like the advice from them is pretty much bang on what @catweazle1 has suggested re: adding Epsom salt.

The breadth of knowledge on here continues to amaze me, thanks to you all!

2 minutes ago, NezA said:

I would worry his calcium to magnesium ratio is out of whack. That water profile is fairly similar to mine only mine is more extreme, (130mg/l cal)  I've recently switched to "Terra Aquatica Hardwater" nutes after talking through some of my issues at length with a very trusted grower on here time will tell.

I'd definitely look at Hardwater nutes they will correct that calcium magnesium ratio.

Thanks for the input. I reckon I’ll start by trying to balance with epsom salts and see how it goes. Failing that I’ll look at some hard water nutrients.