Help with water quality

NormanNugget

@Aphatspliff thanks for that. I’ll definitely look at some Ecothrive Neutralise, can’t be arsed leaving buckets about. 

As for the Cal/Mag ratio, since I know what’s in my water, it should be fairly easy to determine what I need to add to get up to the desired levels. So, next question, what is the ideal quantity of Calcium and Magnesium? Did you results tell you how many PPM of each is ideal?

3 minutes ago, NormanNugget said:

I’ll definitely look at some Ecothrive Neutralise, can’t be arsed leaving buckets about. 

You don't need to do either!

• Like 4

A quick calculation from the above reading means you'll def need to add only mg every watering. How much exactly is another story. I know 69:8.6 is far from the golden 3:1 cannabis needs. Rounding off, you have a 70:9 ratio. So you need to mark up the % of mg every watering. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

You don't need to do either!

Agreed. Plants love a lil' chlorine, if they can handle H202, they'll be fine. I use warm tap water, or heat a pot on the stove if needed. They love warm/tepid water. 

• Like 3

@Oldbearis the resident expert at calculations here. You'll have different amounts of mg depending on if you use epsom salts or the liquid "Mono mg" from Canna

Just now, Slippy One said:

They love warm/tepid water. 

Indeed. I leave my water to get up to temp but not in an open container like people do when they are trying to remove chlorine. If you leave water open to the air it absorbs CO2 and changes the ph.

2 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

I use warm tap water

That's OK with some boilers but if you have a sacrificial anode it can raise the EC compared to your mains tap water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slippy One said:

A quick calculation from the above reading means you'll def need to add only mg every watering. How much exactly is another story. I know 69:8.6 is far from the golden 3:1 cannabis needs. Rounding off, you have a 70:9 ratio. So you need to mark up the % of mg every watering. 

Thanks @Slippy One I get that the ratio is well off, but isn’t 69mg/l or 69ppm way too low anyway? 

Can anyone tell me the ideal ppm of both? The ratio at 69:8.6 might be irrelevant if I’m aiming for 900:300 and supplementing for that..

You’re over complicating the water, just put a half teaspoon of Epsom and get on with it 

24 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

You’re over complicating the water, just put a half teaspoon of Epsom and get on with it 

Hahaha! Now that’s the kind of answer I like. 

My autism means I enjoy getting into stupid levels of detail, potentially setting up a spreadsheet, obsessing over minuscule differences etc. But always refreshing to remember, just bloody get on with it and see what happens.

Cheers @Slippy One 

So in conclusion:

Ph is probably fine.
Don’t need to de-chlorinate.

Maybe bang in a bit of Epsom salts.

Ideally use warm water. 

Now on to obsessively researching the best watering cans

• Like 4

Mix 250g of epsom in water. It will dissolve, Bottle it as your Mg source. Add 2ml per litre of nutes. That will give about 64mg, plus your 9mg. 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Mix 250g of epsom in water.

A litre presumably?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

Haws.

Yup, I already have my eye on a ‘Cradley Cascader’ not sure I can bear to fork out £80 for a ‘Warley Fall’…

Too many nice things in this growing world. I think I’m going to bankrupt myself 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2