Help with water quality

NormanNugget

7 minutes ago, Aphatspliff said:

I started off taking my time with a watering can, soon got fed up with that. I now jug it and use a layer of clay pebbles on top so not to disturb the roots too much

You mean you have clay pebbles on top of your soil? Or are you in coco?

Is there and issues with dumping a jugfull straight onto the soil??

Aye I carried on reading after the fact and see you had a few members putting you on the right track. Cal mag ratio is really really important, some members are blessed with naturally balanced water and never have to worry about this kind of thing, so can understand why the "don't worry" advice was given but for your particular situation it's bad advice.

Adding mag to your nutes or using hard water nutes is the same solution really, it's just that one correction is being done by the manufacturer Vs you correcting yourself by adding mag. Neither approach is wrong and there's pros and cons to both. But you have the right advice now and have heeded well, carry on that path and you will soon be growing the finest cannabis money can't buy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@NormanNuggetyes, Blumat Tropf system, and yes you could probably put seedlings in a tent and not open it after a few grows for experience. You’d still need to pot up though, unless growing it outdoors. Great way to feed while on holiday, I’d happily leave mine 2 weeks with a big enough reservoir. 😎

Yes mate, clay pebbles on top of my coco. Never used to bother, but don’t like having exposed roots on top so use the pebbles. Probably doesn’t matter but it makes me feel better lol 

2 hours ago, NezA said:

I would worry his calcium to magnesium ratio is out of whack. That water profile is fairly similar to mine only mine is more extreme, (130mg/l cal)  I've recently switched to "Terra Aquatica Hardwater" nutes after talking through some of my issues at length with a very trusted grower on here time will tell.

I'd definitely look at Hardwater nutes they will correct that calcium magnesium ratio.

Good advice, especially if you have first hand experience with issues related to cal and mag. I havent as i said earlier not with my tap water anyway. 

7 hours ago, Slippy One said:

@NormanNuggetyes, Blumat Tropf system, and yes you could probably put seedlings in a tent and not open it after a few grows for experience. You’d still need to pot up though, unless growing it outdoors. Great way to feed while on holiday, I’d happily leave mine 2 weeks with a big enough reservoir. 😎

I’ve looked at blumats before for my houseplants since they’re a pain in the arse to keep watered.

For now, I think a watering can and looking at the plants every day is probably for the best to get me into it.

8 hours ago, NezA said:

Aye I carried on reading after the fact and see you had a few members putting you on the right track. Cal mag ratio is really really important, some members are blessed with naturally balanced water and never have to worry about this kind of thing, so can understand why the "don't worry" advice was given but for your particular situation it's bad advice.

Adding mag to your nutes or using hard water nutes is the same solution really, it's just that one correction is being done by the manufacturer Vs you correcting yourself by adding mag. Neither approach is wrong and there's pros and cons to both. But you have the right advice now and have heeded well, carry on that path and you will soon be growing the finest cannabis money can't buy.

Appreciate the round up @NezA. Loads of useful advice has come of the thread so I’m well chuffed 👍🏻

8 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

Is there and issues with dumping a jugfull straight onto the soil??

It compacts the compost in the pot, you want a nice airy mixture ideally which is why people use a fine rose on their watering can. Any rose is better than none though. 

Edited by KC
Predictive

1 hour ago, KC said:

It compacts the compost in the pot, you want a nice airy mixture ideally which is why people use a fine rose on their watering can. Any rose is better than none though. 

Makes sense, so I’d best get that Haws on order!!

Thanks for justifying another purchase 😁

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Mix 250g of epsom in water. It will dissolve, Bottle it as your Mg source. Add 2ml per litre of nutes. That will give about 64mg, plus your 9mg. 

Perhaps you'd like to explain to this member why his plants are fucked? It would appear they've taken your advice which, let's face facts, is pretty shit because adding MG to every single feed is just asking for trouble.  While Owderb fed once while using this Beanstalk amendment, this guy is dosing Epsoms like it's going out of fashion and even adding cal/mag on top of that? Unless they think Epsoms is cal/mag, which it most definitely isn't. 

Anyway, cleanup on aisle 4.  Enjoy 😆

Edited by Saddam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Saddam said:

Perhaps you'd like to explain to this member why his plants are fucked? It would appear they've taken your advice which, let's face facts, is pretty shit because adding MG to every single feed is just asking for trouble.  While Owderb fed once while using this Beanstalk amendment, this guy is dosing Epsoms like it's going out of fashion and even adding cal/mag on top of that? Unless they think Epsoms is cal/mag, which it most definitely isn't. 

Anyway, cleanup on aisle 4.  Enjoy 😆

Talk sense. And talk positive. For once. If yoiu've got FA constructive to say, don't say it.  If there's only 9mg/L in the water IT NEEDS magnesium. I've said FA about adding calmag as well. 

Have a word with yourself, your advice is ridiculous and is far too generic for the wide variety of UK tap waters.

What may work for your water won't work for everyone else so please, pack in the fucking bonkers and absolutely useless Mg advice. 

Honestly, I've never seen so many folks on here spouting absolute and completely unnecessary bollocks. lol 

I have hard water (.7ec) so I use hard water nutrients and I usually only have to use Epsoms once and that's after they've been flipped, even then it's literally a teaspoon in a watering can.

They way you go on it's like you own shares in Epsom Salts Ltd.

8 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Have a word with yourself, your advice is ridiculous and is far too generic for the wide variety of UK tap waters.

What may work for your water won't work for everyone else so please, pack in the fucking bonkers and absolutely useless Mg advice. 

Honestly, I've never seen so many folks on here spouting absolute and completely unnecessary bollocks. lol 

I have hard water (.7ec) so I use hard water nutrients and I usually only have to use Epsoms once and that's after they've been flipped, even then it's literally a teaspoon in a watering can.

They way you go on it's like you own shares in Epsom Salts Ltd.

I go by data, not feelings and bro science. Numbers don't lie, people do.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own ideas, and we share them. People take  their pick of who they want to listen to and ignore the rest. Let's  just leave it at that.

Edited by catweazle1

Most gardeners I know work by reading the plants, it comes with experience. I've seen you proffer this 250g in a litre of water nonsense in more than one thread and it's just not on. 

If you're going to retort, can you please try and do it without quoting my entire fucking post in your reply? Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Most gardeners I know work by reading the plants, it comes with experience. I've seen you proffer this 250g in a litre of water nonsense in more than one thread and it's just not on. 

If you're going to retort, can you please try and do it without quoting my entire fucking post in your reply? Thanks. 

Of course, you go by reading the plants, but you want to set the water up correctly... that is the whole point.