My Seedstockers Outdoor Grow Comp 2022 Diary

Pepe Ramon

@Arbre Medicinal Yep that would be a shock to the system, Wales to Catalunya. I’m in SE UK now but I’ve lived through some extremely dry dusty summers in Australia. It’s harsh and the the native flora and fauna are designed for survival more than anything else. 

Interesting that Catalunya has a desalinisation plant to offset some of the lack of rain. I vaguely remember them talking about those in Australia but it’s been 20+ years since I lived there; not sure if they took that any further

• Like 2

I took the young plants up to my plot yesterday and put them into their final pots. I am using the same 30 gallon fabric pots that I used last year, all I've done is mulched them with last year's trimmings, some horse manure, bokashi compost and standard compost. 

The plants just before I left our flat.

large.IMG_3831.jpg

My plot, the image is looking north. The two pots at the back have the CBD Critical XXL Auto and the three pots at the front, have the CBD 1:1 Silver Lime Haze Auto.

large.IMG_3837.jpg

All of the plants were showing healthyish root balls, this is one of the plants that wilted due to lack of water, you can see the damage on the leaves but she is showing new growth, so I'm hopeful that they will be ok.

large.IMG_3836.jpg

In its final home.

large.IMG_3838.jpg

I had a few seedlings pop up in these pots, because I used last year's trimmings as a mulch. I pulled them all up bar one yesterday, I had assumed that they would go straight into flower due to the day length but this hasn't happened. Then it occurred to me, cannabis is an annual, so this is absolutely normal. Plants aren't going to go straight into flower because it isn't genetically programmed to, they will follow their natural growth pattern if they are outdoors. 

Pulled plants as a mulch.

large.IMG_3839.jpg

I have left one plant that self seeded, just as an experiment. It is growing in the ground so I have absolutely no idea where it came from. I first noticed it in February and there is virtually just a centimetre or two of soil where it is growing, so it'll be interesting to see how big it gets and whether it falls over or not. It's not a Seedstockers seed so it won't be featured further in this diary, but, Lily, the 13 year old Jack Russell will probably pop up again.

large.IMG_3835.jpg

The soil is so thin because of the rock underneath which is called Llicorella. 

From a local vineyard's website; 

"Llicorella is stoney, flakey, fragile, and nutrient-poor. It is deep, which means vines are put under great stress to borough their roots deeper down into the more fertile layers of soil, where they can suck up water and nutrients. This stress keeps yields low, and is said to increase the quality of the grape. Llicorella stones contain flakes of mica in them. Mica acts like mini-mirrors, making llicorella appear like a sea of glass when the sun beams down. This reflected light adds additional units of heat to the vineyard, aiding the ripening process of the grape, which in turn, produces sugar, and generally speaking, higher alcohol wines."

I wonder if there is a similar effect on buds. I did notice that one or two of my plants had buds that didn't burn very well and I reasoned it was because of this Llicorella rock and it's high silicate content. Those buds have been earmarked for making into oil at some point.

I'll be starting off my photoperiod plants very soon.

Edited by Arbre Medicinal
  • Like 10

Welcome aboard @Lily :D        

I wish I lived somewhere warm and sunny. I know you said it's gets extra hot in the mid/late summer, but that's what I'm used to from Australia and from the summers in the US. Having said that, the humidity in both places wasn't ideal for growing lol But it was ideal for me 

• Like 2

Just now, Gaijin said:

Welcome aboard @Lily :D        

I wish I lived somewhere warm and sunny. I know you said it's gets extra hot in the mid/late summer, but that's what I'm used to from Australia and from the summers in the US. Having said that, the humidity in both places wasn't ideal for growing lol But it was ideal for me 

There is very little humidity here, except when it rains obviously. If it rained a little more, then the climate here would be perfect for cannabis cultivation, but saying that it's not far off. 

• Like 2

I couldn't resist popping the rest of this year's beans. So yesterday I put the Golden Lemon Haze seeds into water to soak. I have 3 pots warming in the propagator and I will put the seeds into the pots later today. 

Apparently a waxing moon is a good time to germinate seeds, the next full moon is on the 16th, hence another reason for me to start them now. The next full moon is on the 16th of May, which I could plant on, but I want to give a little extra "veg" time. These will be planted into my raised no-till bed in a fortnight or so. I'm not using the LED on these girls, they'll just be receiving natural light for their entire life-cycle.

large.IMG_3846.jpg

This is the potting compost I am using. It's a bit environmental unfriendly (peaty) but it's all I could source locally this year. There are no grow shops in the town that I live in.

large.IMG_3847.jpg

large.IMG_3848.jpg

The plants seem to like it, the autos I planted out on the weekend, all seemed to have decent root-balls.

• Like 8

Life's looking lemony for you, then :D I love how on the Seedstockers page for this plant it says  Yield : Massive  lollol They're not shy about the potential, are they 

Wishing you all the Massive you can handle :yep: 

• Like 2

Last year's crop was made up of seeds that I had free from Attitude, that I brought with me when we moved from the U.K., so they weren't what I would normally go for. This year I wanted some CBD strains, to add to the oil I want to make, some 1:1 strains, to see what they are like and a good sativa strain. So I'm looking forward to vaping/smoking some good sativa at Christmas courtesy of @Seedstockers-Markand the Seedstockers crew.  

"Wishing you all the Massive you can handle" Cheers dude, much appreciated.

• Like 5

Visited the plot yesterday for a check up, I'm quite pleased with how the autos are looking. They've all doubled in size and are all showing new growth at the internodes, I'm so happy that the early mishap doesn't seem to have hindered their growth in any way. 

Some pictures.

CBD 1:1 Silver Lime Haze Auto #1

large.IMG_3891.jpg

CBD 1:1 Silver Lime Haze Auto #2

large.IMG_3892.jpg

CBD 1:1 Silver Lime Haze Auto #3

large.IMG_3893.jpg

CBD Critical XXL Auto #1

large.IMG_3894.jpg

CBD Critical XXL Auto #2

large.IMG_3895.jpg

The stuff you can see at the surface of the pots is some of the Bokashi compost which has come to the surface because the local birds have been rummaging around in the pots, the other plants in the pots are alfalfa.

While I was there I put another 3 barrow fulls of well rotted horse manure onto the no-till bed. Most of last years' trimmings have gone back into the bed, along with homemade Bokashi compost and a packet of dried seaweed from the local supermarket, the latter I sprinkled on dry, then watered it to re-hydrate it, then covered it with the Bokashi and a layer of compost. I'm only putting three plants into the bed this season, last year I had 6 in there and they weren't really happy but I still had loads of buds. 

large.IMG_3890.jpg

@Joolz @Dodgee @lildaveham @Cursed 

Hi Admins, could one of you extremely kind gentlemen move this thread into the Seedstockers 2022 Outdoor Diary Section please?

Apologies for being a nag and many thanks in advance.   :hippy:

• Like 8

Weekly update:

I visited my plot yesterday, everything looks good, much better than this time last year. We've had rain all week so I'm hoping that will keep my plants happy for a few weeks or until we get more, I'm hoping to go the full cycle without watering much, without watering at all would be even better.

large.IMG_3919.jpglarge.IMG_3920.jpglarge.IMG_3921.jpglarge.IMG_3922.jpglarge.IMG_3923.jpg

I'll just be posting weekly updates, unless anything major happens.

• Like 9

Weekly Update:

I have flowers! 4 of the 5 are showing flowers, 1 CBD 1:1 SLH is still not showing but they are all growing quite strongly. I still haven't watered them.  :hippy:

Some pictures;

large.IMG_3954.jpglarge.IMG_3955.jpglarge.IMG_3956.jpglarge.IMG_3957.jpglarge.IMG_3958.jpg

• Like 10

@Arbre Medicinal  Looking very nice sir :yep:   Fantastic to see the sun caressing some outdoor babies especially as this time of year ,  i got up early yesterday at 3am to find the temps at 0* and a hard frost :(    Even more gutting as i have numerous girls out in it.   

Keep the updates & pics coming mate and i wish you all the very best on your grow ,   please share some sun with us :) 

• Like 7