My Seedstockers Outdoor Grow Comp 2022 Diary

Pepe Ramon

5 minutes ago, B-real said:

Guess as long as there's airflow then it should carry on as is.

Makes for a interesting experience 

That's what I was thinking. 

• Like 2

This is the split in GLH #1, as you can see I have used some duck tape to stop it splitting any further, but I don't think it'll hold it up until harvest.

large.IMG_4515.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

This is the split in GLH #1, as you can see I have used some duck tape to stop it splitting any further, but I don't think it'll hold it up until harvest.

large.IMG_4515.jpg

Have you staked the branch too mate? I doubt it will hold otherwise.. should deffo be ok if that branch is now secured mind.. How's she looking since it happened buddy?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Revive said:

Have you staked the branch too mate? I doubt it will hold otherwise.. should deffo be ok if that branch is now secured mind.. How's she looking since it happened buddy?

No dude I haven't. I think it's still ok as I type this but I haven't been to check since Saturday, as it's a 20 minute drive I usually pop up every other day, so I'll be going up this afternoon to check how things are.

I had a similar problem last year, but luckily I don't get slugs and snails, so I don't mind my plants touching the ground, I know there are rabbits on my site but they don't touch my plants either. The only pest I had last year were caterpillars and I think, this year I'll get less on the branches closer to the ground due to the caterpillars being at more risk from ground dwelling predators, it'll be interesting to see what happens. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Exile420 said:

get some zip ties mate jobs a gooden then.. also deffo stake her as @Revive mentioned. :)

I hadn't thought of zip ties, nice one.

I visited the plot yesterday evening, no real changes except that there are now more flowers showing. 

This is GLH #1, the chunkiest of the plants and the one with duck tape around her trunk. 

large.IMG_4523.jpg

Number 2 is the plant that has spilt and fallen over, I watered her just after I took this image and she perked up. I really appreciate the suggestions of tying and staking dudes, thanks very much. But, I'm still fully intent on leaving her as she is, as I'm curious to see what happens. I'm really not that worried about it, I'm still experimenting and IMHO, free seeds are the best seeds to experiment with, oh and I'm not short of smoke.  :hippy: 

large.IMG_4525.jpg

By far my favourite plant is number 3, she is almost exactly what I was hoping for, she looks like a sativa and she has a lemony haze aroma to her if I rub the stems. Her structure reminds me of a NL 5 X Silver Haze, that a mate grew back in the 90's. She is a week or two behind the others.

large.IMG_4524.jpg

I have given them a feed, but I can't find the bottle to take a photo of it, I just bought a generic organic feed from a local store, it's not canna specific but it is molasses based. The plants seemed to like it, especially my Rogue 1 plant, which has its own small diary in the Outdoor Section, she also got blown over but has not split.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, I found my first caterpillars yesterday so the plants had a thorough spraying of Bacillus thuringiensis, I may need to repeat in the next week or two.

• Like 3

Hi everyone, a proper update.

The main news is that the cunterpillars have arrived, the bad news for them is I am prepared.

This is one of the cunterpillars, I believe they are the larvae of a species of moth but I'm not 100% certain, whatever they are, they are certainly a nightmare.

This was taken last year btw, none of them have had the chance to get to this size this year.

They burrow into the buds, the section that they've eaten then dies, turns brown and this increases the chances of your buds becoming rotten.

large.IMG_3235_Original.jpg

Last year the missus and I tried doing it by hand, this year I bought some Bacillus thuringiensis. I spotted the first one last week and immediately started spraying. I have sprayed the plants every other day since and it definitely works, I have found a few dead cunterpillars and there doesn't seem to be any big fuckers on my plants and no new ones.

I will be spraying again tonight and for at least another week. 

This is what I am using. Mixing one 15g sachet into 3ltrs of water and sprayed onto the plants using a pressure spray thingy.

large.IMG_4624.jpg

I have to order this online because it's not sold in small amounts in the local garden centres. It's available by the kilo but you have to have a pesticide licence to buy it, but I can pick up shit like Glyphosate off the shelf no problem.

I bought a generic feed at a local store, the girls seem happy with it. I'm following the instructions on the bottle so they've had two feeds, at roughly 15 days apart, they are due another feed but that'll have to wait until Friday. It cost 8€ btw.

large.IMG_4555.jpglarge.IMG_4556.jpg

Anyway the plants are looking good and are really starting to fatten up.

Side shot of GLH #1, this is the one with duck tape around her base.

large.IMG_4576.jpg

Close up bud shot of GLH #3, nice bit of sparkle on the leaves. I love this plant, I hope she smokes as good as she looks.

large.IMG_4621.jpg

And finally, "Say hello to my little friend," sitting atop my GLH #1.

A European Praying Mantis, absolutely gorgeous, ok yes I did put it there.

large.63216c2ae2483_AdobePhotoshopExpress_2022-09-13_13-26-190200.jpg

large.IMG_4649.jpg

More updates soon...:hippy:

large.63216c232b953_AdobePhotoshopExpress_2022-09-02_17-15-230200.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Croptober is upon us, I've chopped all 3 of my Golden Lemon Haze and they are now hanging in my shed. My other plant, Rogue 1, is still going but she has her own diary in the outdoor section.

I am basing my harvesting on trichome colour and going for mostly cloudy with a few bits of amber.

Golden Lemon Haze #2 was the plant that split and I left on the ground, the other two plants also split but I repaired them both with duck tape, I also used cable ties on Golden Lemon Haze #3.

After I sprayed them with Bacillus thuringiensis for the first time I decided to use #2 as my "control plant," so she only got that initial spray. Subsequently she suffered far more cunterpillar damage than my other plants and she was also ready a few days earlier than the other two so was the first to be harvested.

In hindsight, if a plant splits on me in the future I will repair it.

Golden Lemon Haze #2 (the control)

large.IMG_4810.jpg

Golden Lemon Haze #1 is the biggest and bushiest of the 3 but the buds are similar in structure to #2, they look and feel quite dense and there are lots of them. She smells similar to #2 as well, a sort of undiluted orange squash bouquet, it's definitely citrusy but not quite lemony and it's an odour I've smelt in other strains over the years.

large.IMG_4804.jpg

Golden Lemon Haze 1 & 3 (#1 in foreground)

large.IMG_4774.jpg

Golden Lemon Haze #3, mi planta favorita. The buds are sparkling in the Catalan sunshine and she smells divine, like a seriously good limoncello from Amalfi, lemons from the dark/dank side.  :hippy:

large.IMG_4823.jpg

Golden Lemon Haze #3

large.IMG_4816.jpg

They won't take long to dry, and a smoke report will follow soon.

I'd forgotten how much effort goes into keeping a diary, so hats off to everyone who has taken part in this competition, and hats off to all the growers at UK420 that keep diaries of their grows.

• Like 16

Very nice result mate

Have you been following the cobbing adventures around the place recently? All that haze; wondering if you are planning on cobbing some yourself? 

• Like 3

@Gaijinnot this year, I have some Ace seeds in the fridge, Golden Tiger, Malawi and Bangi Haze, so I'm hoping to do some cobbing with those next year.  :hippy: 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

I've been following with interest. Not sure I have the patience for a 14 week sativa indoors. We'll see  

Stick one in a corner of your room and train it.

• Like 4