This Years Offerings 2022

OldFord

6 minutes ago, Revive said:

Fantastic work and some beautiful pics.. I come to expect this from you squire and im never disappointed.. cracking job @OldFord :yep:

thank kindly brother .... they are still cooking  ... so theres still plenty of time for it to go tits up lol     

• Like 1

Just now, OldFord said:

thank kindly brother .... they are still cooking  ... so theres still plenty of time for it to go tits up lol     

lol I hear that but in your capable hands those odds have been greatly reduced ;)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CheechChongReturns said:

Mate, well impressed with all your girls , but even moreso with them 1 litre plants. 

Shows how in tune you are with them to pull of a good crop like that. 

Kudos to you brother 

Thank you sir :yep:    Its the hay & home brew soil mate,  im just here to feed them lol     

The little 1 ltr pot is a tester ,  if i am playing next year it will be 1 ltr pots as not fit enough for big'uns.    Very happy with the 1 ltr pots bounty !

Been dropping pot sizes for a few seasons as find the plants dont suffer rot as easy in 7.5 ltrs and below  ,  10 ltrs is the margin i find the rot gets a grip easier ,  in 7.5 ltr and lower i have not seen any rot to speak of  yet over 3 seasons now , the odd damaged bud or broken leaf but no direct infection.   

Still got bits cooking and poss time to eat my words yet lol       We shall see sir.   

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, OldFord said:

Been dropping pot sizes for a few seasons as find the plants dont suffer rot as easy in 7.5 ltrs and below  ,  10 ltrs is the margin i find the rot gets a grip easier ,  in 7.5 ltr and lower i have not seen any rot to speak of  yet over 3 seasons now , the odd damaged bud or broken leaf but no direct infection. 

That's an interesting theory. Why do you think that is? Just smaller, less bushy plants making for a more open structure that gets more fresh air round the buds? Or something else?

• Like 1

On 18/10/2022 at 2:06 AM, Crow River said:

That's an interesting theory. Why do you think that is? Just smaller, less bushy plants making for a more open structure that gets more fresh air round the buds? Or something else?

Hey mate,  to be totally upfront & honest ... i dodnt know lol     all i know is came down from 15 ltrs on fems  & 10 ltrs on autos  to  10 & 7.5 ltr pots ,  same 60% hay 10% grit 30% soil and over the last season and this season .... i have lost zero buddage to mold / rot other than blow over damage  /  broken leaf stems :)   

The pots dry way quicker ,  retain heat due to hay with insulation &  naturally  breaking down.       

I will be sticking to this formula as the plants themselves have not reduced in size  / health  / performance  nor have they reduced yield ... and add to th combo of no rot / mold .... if it aint broke :) 

Edited by OldFord
Spelling ...as usual
  • Like 5

On 24/10/2022 at 11:23 AM, OldFord said:

I will be sticking to this formula as the plants themselves have not reduced in size  / health  / performance  nor have they reduced yield ... and add to th combo of no rot / mold .... if it aint broke :) 

Yeah exactly right! :) 

Funny how I'm going the other way, bigger and bigger pots. However I'm growing in compost and as the greenhouse is not just outside the door (no garden), I cannot visit every day to check if it needs watering. So lower maintenance is my aim, and I want the pots to retain moisture a bit longer. OTOH don't want that damned rot to take over. My plan is start a bit earlier, for an earlier finish, and maximum ventilation...

Fingers crossed eh? :D 

Would love to try growing in straw but I want to get compost right first, if Mother Nature will allow...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Yeah exactly right! :) 

Funny how I'm going the other way, bigger and bigger pots. However I'm growing in compost and as the greenhouse is not just outside the door (no garden), I cannot visit every day to check if it needs watering. So lower maintenance is my aim, and I want the pots to retain moisture a bit longer. OTOH don't want that damned rot to take over. My plan is start a bit earlier, for an earlier finish, and maximum ventilation...

Fingers crossed eh? :D 

Would love to try growing in straw but I want to get compost right first, if Mother Nature will allow...

I hear you mate ,   its all trial and error to get into your groove and find what works for you :yep:      I dont believe there is a right or wrong way ,  its what your comfortable with :) 

I have trialled so many mediums , methods and systems and im still amending methodologies although im happy with the pot system im now using ,  its just the GG that i want to dial in more but as mother nature has way more influence & lady lucks odds are against you it a minefield lol   

Mate im sure you will give it your best and reap the rewards ,  i wish you all the luck in the world with it.   

• Like 2

Ah it's hay you're using, not straw. That's rather different. Maybe I'll try that technique but with some vegetables first, see how it works out... :) 

@OldFord Just read your entire diary awesome growing abilities you have from the canna to the flowers both thumbs must be green I like growing in containers also never know when they might need to be relocated I am curious of your medium your growing in do you mix the hay grit and soil all together or do you layer it btw is grit sand 

• Like 2

On 05/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, bfehillbilly said:

@OldFord Just read your entire diary awesome growing abilities you have from the canna to the flowers both thumbs must be green I like growing in containers also never know when they might need to be relocated I am curious of your medium your growing in do you mix the hay grit and soil all together or do you layer it btw is grit sand 

Hi mate ,   sorry i aint been on for a bit.      Delighted you enjoyed this years flower show.      

I run the pots lined with the hay on the base & a good way up the sides,    i then finely chop some and mix this with the soil & potting grit. 

It has served me well and hope you get your method nailed down mate.      All the very best with next years flower show sir.  

• Like 2

@OldFord Sorry to hear about your hospital stay hope your on the mend thanks for the information I will be giving your soil mix a try next year was going to try a couple straight in a hay bale this year but something chewed the strings and it fell apart blackpoolbouncer grew some big potatoes in hay bales a couple years ago thanks again and wish you a speedy recovery 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bfehillbilly said:

@OldFord Sorry to hear about your hospital stay hope your on the mend thanks for the information I will be giving your soil mix a try next year was going to try a couple straight in a hay bale this year but something chewed the strings and it fell apart blackpoolbouncer grew some big potatoes in hay bales a couple years ago thanks again and wish you a speedy recovery 

Thanks mate  yeah i will be ok  ,  just good & bad days.       

If you plan to run in straight bales i do advise a small topdressing of soil / compost just to give the sprouts a better start.    

All the best with it mate  

• Like 2

Blackpoolbouncer said the same thing I hollowed out a small spot in the bale and added soil gonna get some bales that are wired instead of string thanks for the all information and hoping for more good days for you @OldFord

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bfehillbilly said:

Blackpoolbouncer said the same thing I hollowed out a small spot in the bale and added soil gonna get some bales that are wired instead of string thanks for the all information and hoping for more good days for you @OldFord

Glad you got it sorted out mate :yep:      The swap to hay def upped my outdoor game and im delighted with it.    Hope it works for you sir. 

thanks mate ,  all the best. 

• Like 3