Cannabis tincture and cannabis oil

DANZIG

I have been doing some evperimental extraction with alcohol i got it from alcohol fire place site.there are a few on google.

im not sure if it matters or not but a lot of the ethanols from fireplace stores is denatured (• make (alcohol) unfit for drinking by the addition of toxic or foul-tasting substances.)

i dont know though.. :stoned:

I am not using it to drink.

after the alcohol has evaporated there is a residue which can be drained off..

this alcohol is all I have and as I am making it to try on my prostate cancer a bit of residue wont make a lot of difference to me.It has stopped my cancer activity so far,have to make enough now to attempt a cure if possible.I dont take nhs meds so its all I have at the moment

• Like 2

I am not using it to drink.

after the alcohol has evaporated there is a residue which can be drained off..

this alcohol is all I have and as I am making it to try on my prostate cancer a bit of residue wont make a lot of difference to me.It has stopped my cancer activity so far,have to make enough now to attempt a cure if possible.I dont take nhs meds so its all I have at the moment

If it is from the fireplace shop, it is most certainly denatured alcohol, which is also sold for marine stove fuel, and and in paint shops, etc.

The term denatured means nothing as far as content, as the different manufacturers vary their mixes depending on economics, so the safest method is to look up the MSDS for that specific manufacturer.

Typically it is a mixture of ethanol and something to make it unfit to drink. Depending on the manufacturer, it can include both a toxin like methanol, Isopropanol, acetone, or naphtha, and a bittering agent such as denatonium benzonate.

Isopropyl alcohol doesn't need to be denatured, as it is al ready toxic.

Here are some applicable MSDS sheets: Look at section 11 for toxicology information.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923674

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927227

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922776

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922776

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926175

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922820

As Iky mentioned, the secret to using toxic substances, is to purge it below the levels of concern shown on the MSDS sheets, but yet another is to pick your supplier after reading their MSDS sheets.

For instance, not all denatured alcohol has bittering agent or uses the same chemicals for denaturing.

a) Do you need to decarboxylate tinctures? Many of the recipes I have seen here and elsewhere online don't seem to have this step.

b) Does anyone have a recipe for a simple tincture that is lower in alcohol than the "Green Dragon" recipe?

Apologies for repeating myself

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm

I have tried eating cannabis endless times. Verdict: Its not as potent as smoking, not by a long chalk. Maybe its just me, maybe I have odd digestive system? Either way, I can swallow 3g of decarboxylated buds, and its nowhere near as strong or useful as a 1 gram spliff.

I want to try a tincture because I want to see if an extract using alcohol is better for me than a butter or an oil extract.

@ Greywolf - thanks for your wisdom mate. I have a strong head, having been a pot smoker for over 40 years now. I ate 3g last week, as said above, not particularly strong nor effective. Comparatively speaking.

Anyone in the UK got a source for good alcohol @ 100%?

You can get 'polish vodka' Spirytus Rektyfikowany, this is basically 'rectified' vodka that is c.95% which is as high as they can go (labelled 95% but is nearer 96% i think(.

You can get it for £30 for 1/2l, dear but at the ratios in the first post you could do 5oz of bud and you are thinking less than this?

Have been looking for ages and this is the only way of getting food quality ethanol of that strength I could find, just google 'Spirytus Rektyfikowany'.

Also if you have a good independent wine merchants/off licence they will probably have some or get some OR make your own google 'turbo air still' but £150

Am smoking my trim this time as I bought some seeds with the vodka money things are very tight at the minute! But have make a stemmy green dragon with some bright yellow 85% fake absinthe and rum so we will see. Not realy a tincture as such, not enough greens.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

making veg glycerin tinc in a slow cooker today, then gonna make bhang :) anyone any experience using a slow cooker?

I did, followed a recipe using bud and it wasnt potent at all. Did a thread on it in the hash/oil section somewhere.. Will be doing another tincture soon, but will be going for the long haul slow version this time to see how it turns out.

I've got some bud that's been sat in Glycerin for almost 3 months now. As soon as I get around to it I'm going to press it and give it a go. I've no idea at all what I'm doing to be honest so I've no idea what the outcome will be. :smokin:

• Like 1

I've got some bud that's been sat in Glycerin for almost 3 months now. As soon as I get around to it I'm going to press it and give it a go. I've no idea at all what I'm doing to be honest so I've no idea what the outcome will be. :smokin:

I've read in a couple of places that is a good idea to dcarb after the cold press @MrBond (assuming that you didn't do it beforehand) , maybe try it first without and heat if you think necessary....keep us posted though :yep:

• Like 1

I've read in a couple of places that is a good idea to dcarb after the cold press @MrBond (assuming that you didn't do it beforehand) , maybe try it first without and heat if you think necessary....keep us posted though :yep:

Will do Bob. :yep: I did some reading up on the decarb but decided on just a cold run this time so I'll let you know how it goes mate. :smokin:

I was reading last night on another site a post by Gray wolf might be of some interest

GRAY WOLF

Hi ya'll. Looks like I noticed this thread a little late, but I haven't been monitoring the medibles thread for awhile.

A lot of the key points have already been covered, but just a few thoughts.

Glycerin will only dissolve about 33% as much cannabis oil as alcohol. Is three drops instead of one an issue for you?

Besides being a complex sugar alcohol that digests slowly and doesn't spike some diabetics blood sugar, it makes a damn tasty tincture, sort of reminding me of the flavor of wild honey.

As has been noted, some of the things in the hash oil are not all that tasty, nor is the lingering after taste. Many of them are turpeens and flavoids, which are all aromatic hydrocarbon chain oils, that used at the correct concentration are delightful, but used heavy handedly can be just too, too, much and even bitter.

One thing that adds to the bitterness is chlorophyll and in heavy concentration can be seriously upsetting to some patient's digestive tracts, producing cramps. Chlorophyll is water soluble, as are plant alkaloids in the stems.

Using plant material, I use a couple of different processes to make glycerin tincture and out of bubble or dry sieve, I use another.

For the first two processes using plant material, I use only bud or sweet trim. Despite the fact that you can get oil from fan leaves, it isn't as tasty and so I save them for making topicals.

Water is our enemy and even well cured plant material still has 12 to 15% moisture content. Whether glycerin is polar, or not, it acts like it is and will pick up the water soluble flavors from the water,

I first spread the material on a cookie sheet and place it in a 200F oven until it is just frangible when I roll it between my finger and thumb. I then run it through a pasta strainer to break it into smaller particles and remove the leaf stems, which have bitter alkaloids in them.

Some people use a food processor for this, but I do not because it makes a bunch of fines that are hard to filter out and chops in the bitter stems.

I throw the stems in bag and periodically we make stem oil topical out of them.

Here decisions are necessary about taste and quality or potency. The absolutely best tasting glycerin tincture comes from the cold process, where you take the material you just dried and seal it in a jar of glycerin in a cool dry place for 90/120 days. Periodically shaking it.

Run it through a 160/200 thread count bag in a tincture press, and it will produce an amber product with provocative flavors that dart in all directions at the same time, like wild honey from a panoply of different blossoms produce.

I have sped up the cycle some using a vibratory ammunition case polisher to shake three half pints at a time and produced a reasonably good tincture vibrating once a day for thirty minutes for one week.

Notice that we didn't decarboxylate first, because it adds its own nutty roasted flavor and you don't have to, if you have time to set it on the shelf and let it decarboxylate naturally. It will be this side of heaven tasty, but it won't be as potent as the hot process and takes a while to mature.

For the hot process, I place material while it is still warm from the oven in a mason jar to about the 2/3rd full level. I then pour glycerin in on top while stirring to eliminate dry spots and top it off with about an inch of glycerin beyond that.

I set that in a hot oil pot set at about 200F, and stir the jar contents regularly until it approaches 160F and then throttled back to hold 160 F for thirty minutes while stirring four our five times.

At that point, take it out of the oil and set it aside to cool. As soon as it is cooled (or the next day), place it back in the oil and again bring it back up to 160F while stirring four or five times. As soon as it reaches 160F again, I remove and cool it again, and continue that until I have seven or so cycles on it.

The last time that I bring it up to temperature, I pour it into the tincture bag hot and squeeze it hot.

You can also use that tincture as the glycerin to start a new batch and build up the potency higher than anything you can do with one cycle.

The hot cycle is also flavorful, but more like a soup of well blended flavors than individual flavors.

The last step is to finish decarboxylating the mixture. I say finish, because it is the sum total of the time at temperature we have to consider. If I want speedier meds, I need about 30 minutes at 250F and if I want sleep meds, I want a lower temperature and longer time, like 225F for one hour.

As far as flavoring, I do that afterwards. I toss dried cherries, dried blueberries, gari, and 190 proof into a blender and puree it. I add a touch of almond extract and then cook the mixture in a hot oil bath while stirring, until the alcohol is all gone.

After pressing a batch of hot glycerin, I add a dollop of the above concentrate to the jar and bring it back up to 160F one more time while stirring and hold it for thirty more minutes.

I then press the glycerin again and immediately eat the fruit from the bag. Hee, hee, hee...........

• Like 5

Ive been tidying things up recently and only have a few fluid oz of tincture left ,So i decided to add it to some more bud ive only ever used the cold soak method before but after reading that post by Gray Wolf i want to use some heat,Any idea how to get the temps required using bog standard kitchen appliances.I was thinking bain marie or would it work if i stuck it in a pyrex dish and shoved it in the oven, tia

Edited by Jimboo

I left it overnight in the slow cooker. It had an hour at 100c approx and then I put the SC on low. I put the mix inside the sc in a kilner sat on a muslin in a water bath. This morning I've vaped 0.5ml with some blueberry e-liquid, and drunk about 1ml in chai. I am on my arse! It's potent stuff. Next time I will leave it 24hrs on low. Highly (haha) recommended.

• Like 1

Oh and last night I vaped 1.5ml and had an amazing full body high for several hours, topped off with a load of great visuals once I was in bed with my eyes shut. Amazing stuff!

• Like 1